Gransnet forums

Food

Online shopping - one delivery then no more to my address they say !

(181 Posts)
WOODMOUSE49 Wed 25-Mar-20 20:40:04

Any one had this problem with Morrisons online ordering?

I bought a 6 month delivery pass 10 days ago then placed an order for delivery on 1 April (first one I could get) and I've edited it a few times (mainly items I had forgotten). I've ordered enough for a week but I'll have to go out for bread. Hope everything comes.

We are self isolating as both 70+. I've tried this week a few times to do another order for mid April perhaps.

Morrison site says there are no dates available for my address and to select another address !

Have you used Morrisons and placed and order before one has been delivered? How do I do it?

Wondering now if my £20 (delivery pass) was wasted with Morrisons. I plan to risk it and do a shop or try click and collect with Asda. No dates with Sainsbury's.

Oh! I've sent a message to Morrisons (via facebook) on Monday but no reply as yet.

fatgran57 Tue 07-Apr-20 04:41:08

The price of groceries has certainly gone up - no specials etc.

Both my daughters work at a local supermarket and it is really hard for them.

They were not even permitted to wear a mask or gloves, I don't know how things are set out now as haven't been in for a few weeks, but from what they tell me only so many allowed in at a time, tape on floor for distancing, they don't pack customers bags any more and self serve are only open every second one.

They have had a lot of abuse from customers, but one lady took over the pa system and asked for a round of applause for the staff and another lady gave her a lovely bunch of flowers.

I bet the staff won't get a bonus when things level out, but I bet the managers do!

Not very long ago the supermarket restructured, laying off or demoting a lot of staff and were working with very few staff members.

They really are a terrible lot.

Callistemon Sun 05-Apr-20 21:33:35

Your supermarkets seem to be taking advantage of the situation, fatgran and driving down the payments to the farmers for their produce.
Their behaviour is unethical.

fatgran57 Sun 05-Apr-20 21:18:33

Our local big supermarket had stopped online shopping but yesterday they allowed seniors to register - we have a seniors card here in Australia so they required that number and I was able to register for an online click and collect for today.

Will wait and see if all items are available but this will be a great help to us.

Had never bought groceries online before and probably won't do so after things settle down a bit.

Daughter said she will bring the shopping home for us.

Chestnut Sun 05-Apr-20 11:55:14

Elegran - In my case I was a regular online shopper and all I did was tell them I'm old. They don't have my date of birth but maybe the fact that I normally have home deliveries helped. They gave me access to slots reserved for the elderly or vulnerable.

Callistemon Sun 05-Apr-20 11:48:40

They may well do Elegran
There are always those who will try to cheat the system set up for the benefit of the more vulnerable.
I don't want to be thought of as vulnerable elderly! but I am not going out.

The letter states that if you cannot get help with food and essential shopping, then contact your local council.
Perhaps the Area Health Authority should have given a reference number to each person which the supermarkets could check without accessing g any personal or medical details.

Elegran Sun 05-Apr-20 11:29:26

For them to know exactly how old all their customers are, and what existing health conditions they have, they would have to have access to birth certificates and GP's records. If you don't have any re-existing conditions that put you onto the official "vulnerable" list, there is no way they can check.

I hate to think it, but I do wonder how many people put a false age or status on their applications for special consideration.

Callistemon Sun 05-Apr-20 09:59:03

I may try that next Chestnut, thank you.

Callistemon Sun 05-Apr-20 09:58:23

I have sent two of them messages via FB so I hope there may be a result.
We have neighbours who have regular deliveries; however, one still goes to work so could shop instore, others are under 70 and very fit. So why can we, who have been ordered to self-isolate, not get a slot up to 24th April? (none online after that date). There is a b,IP in their systems.
I must say they are kind enough to add items to their list but there is a limit on items.

Chestnut Sun 05-Apr-20 09:07:17

I posted this on another thread but it might be helpful. Waitrose has identified me as OLD after I sent them an email with big capital letters in the subject. I now have access to delivery slots and have delivery booked for Monday 13th April.
Anyone who is a registered customer with a supermarket and can't get a delivery slot could try letting them know your age etc. Then they will give you access to slots. Here is my e-mail.

May7 Sun 05-Apr-20 03:39:54

Well marmight the answer is actually staring you in the face isn’t it but I suspect you already know it. It’s just plain greed and selfishness on their par. I’d shame them if they were my neighbours.but DH would tell me to mind my own business ?

Marmight Sun 05-Apr-20 03:33:04

Earlier this week I managed to get a Click & Collect slot for the 19th, better than nothing! Yesterday DD messaged to let me know Tesco had just released extra dates. I got a delivery slot for the 10th. Elated & will be adding DDs requirements to my list and cancelling the C&C.
Yesterday I was discussing ‘slots’ over the wall with my neighbours (she is under 70 he is over) who told me they had a C&C for the same date as me. Later in the conversation it transpired they also had 2 delivery dates booked for this and next week, had had shopping delivered by a village volunteer on Thursday and also by a daughter on Tuesday. A week ago they drove to Waitrose themselves to shop!
We are being asked in the interest of others, to restrict bookings to one at a time to allow the elderly & vulnerable the opportunity for deliveries. He then informed me. when I suggested they could always use the village shop, that over 70’s shouldn’t be shopping at all. (Waitrose?!) so why are there special times set aside at the supermarkets for the over 70s? I was rendered speechless (which doesn't happen too often!) DD has banned me from even considering going into a shop until this is all over. (I am in self-isolation anyway for at least 2 weeks after returning via the Middle East from Oz)

Callistemon Sun 05-Apr-20 00:03:57

I've had a couple of Tesco deliveries before on random occasions and now have a letter but cannot get a slot with any of the supermarkets and there is no 'box' on the page, as claimed, to state that I need deliveries.

Chestnut Sat 04-Apr-20 23:34:44

Lizbethann - you may find the young couple booked those slots a long time ago, which is what my daughter did back in mid-March when there were slots available. She's a canny lass. I suspect she will not be able to get any more now however.

Lizbethann55 Sat 04-Apr-20 14:35:47

I might sound like a curtain twitcher but here goes. My neighbours, a young professional couple with three small children, always have at least two if not three big Tesco deliveries a week. DH and I often ponder what their weekly food bill must be. BUT it is carrying on even in this crisis. What I would like to know is 1) how they are managing to book delivery times and 2) should they be doing so. They are young, fit, healthy, both at home, not remotely vulnerable and have two cars. Not only that, but he often goes out to the shops to get more stuff!

Daddima Sat 04-Apr-20 13:48:43

Fernbergien posted this number for the vulnerable customer helpline - 0800-052-5500.
When I called, I got the ‘ high volume of calls’ message, but it was answered a couple of rings later. She asked if I had had a letter from NHS ( I’m in Scotland), what was my date of birth (1952), and a previous order number from a delivery. She said it might take a couple of days, but when I looked later, I could book a slot. Mind you, I noticed a lot of slots at £6/£6.50, which I’ve never seen before.

Jaycee5 Sat 04-Apr-20 13:26:11

Well, still no luck with Waitrose, Iceland and Morrisons put you in a queue - 18,149 ahead of me. I'll try Sainsbury's tomorrow but not much likelihood of getting one.

Jaycee5 Sat 04-Apr-20 13:15:34

newnanny That's good. I haven't tried for a while. Time to have another go. All the major supermarkets delivery here but it is a very busy area.
My neighbour is in her late 80s and signed up to the government scheme but hasn't been able to get anything yet. She seems to only be trying Asda though. She is lucky that she has her grandson to bring her the basics.
I bought a box of snacks but it is very expensive for what it is and it had a jar of sun dried tomatoes in it that had come open. I'm not even that fond of them (it is a random choice) - but it is good to have a bit extra and I am glad to get it. Most of these sites are not taking new customers or you have to sign up to a monthly subscription.

newnanny Sat 04-Apr-20 11:59:16

I have managed to get a delivery slot on April 8th Morrison's. I cannot get annother slot for 10 days or so later so I have been back into my order and added more food for another week. I have used a few things from freezer so can now fit in 2 loaves of bread. I have ordered long life milk for second week. I have been told by my dd who always does online food shopping that they only open up delivery slots one week ahead.

Jaycee5 Tue 31-Mar-20 11:08:59

Sainsburys here are now putting up a notice when you try to order saying that they are delivering to vulnerable customers and to register with the Gov site if you are over 70 or vulnerable. Waitrose are doing the same. Can't even try unless you are vulnerable.
I went to my local independent shop there and only saw about 2 people on the way there who kept their distance and I was the only person in the shop. I'm limited by what I can carry but I wish I had bought a couple more things. I'll be ok for a couple of weeks but it is hard to see things changing much.
Generally, my estate is eerily quiet. I like being quiet but it is a bit unsettling. Not even the usual car alarms.

Rosalyn69 Tue 31-Mar-20 07:05:41

I think those of us who are confined to home and long time customers feel miffed. I did write to Ocado and complain explaining this and was able to amend my order for Thursday with only 100 in the queue. I imagine this was a one off.
Sainsbury’s have been very good offering next day slots.
Now buying a jigsaw puzzle.....not until hell freezes over it seems.

Lizbethann55 Tue 31-Mar-20 00:37:06

Stayed up to try and get a Morrisons slot but didn't even reach front of the queue to get on the site until virtually half past midnight. The calendar goes up to three weeks and no delivery slots at all. Must try and join the queue earlier tomorrow but it is such a balancing act. If you get to the front of the queue too much before midnight you get kicked out anyway.

MamaCaz Tue 31-Mar-20 00:08:09

Success at last!
Just managed to both get a Tesco delivery slot and check out what I'd put in my basket last night, without any problems this time.

MamaCaz Mon 30-Mar-20 18:36:45

On Tesco it seems to be about two minutes after midnight, but I don't know about the other shops. But so many people are trying to get those slots that the site throws up errors all the time - last night, I ended up back in a queue to shop twice after I had, supposedly, booked a delivery slot and started shopping (and that was before check-out put the final spanner in the works by failing on the final payment process).

Lizbethann55 Mon 30-Mar-20 18:25:25

Does anyone know if there is a set time of day new delivery slots are released? That comment about clicking the refresh button for Iceland is interesting. I have used both Morrisons and Iceland home deliveries for years. I have been disappointed at the lack of loyalty shown to long standing customers by the supermarkets.

annodomini Mon 30-Mar-20 13:51:49

A friend recommended a local company that delivers, meat, fish, fruit and veg and dairy, so I have given them an order to be delivered on Friday. For supermarket products, my neighbours add my requests to their order or pick things up from Waitrose. There's also a local volunteer group which will do shopping for those of us who can't. I hope if you cannot find a slot for delivery, you will be able to find a similar group - many local councils and churches have enabled the formation of these volunteer groups.