Gransnet forums

Food

Making bread with fresh yeast

(6 Posts)
Patsy70 Wed 25-Mar-20 21:08:31

I'm wondering if anyone can help with some guidance on how to make bread with live yeast! I did it many years ago, but have been using dried yeast for a while now. During the 'lockdown' we've had a random private food delivery. Thank you.

jacq10 Wed 25-Mar-20 21:16:08

Haven't used fresh yeast for many (over 40) years - used to get it from the local baker. The kids hated the smell of it. Just google it and get full instructions on use!! I read you can freeze it as well which is great especially as you probably got a sizeable portion. Do let us know how the baking turns out.

Chewbacca Wed 25-Mar-20 21:18:29

To use fresh yeast, break up into a bowl and add sugar and a little lukewarm water or milk then mash with a fork to dissolve. It should foam after 5-10min when dissolved. This is a good way to tell if yeast is still active before continuing with recipe.

Patsy70 Wed 25-Mar-20 21:26:31

Thank you. Yes, quite sizeable portions, so I'll freeze them. Not much information on Google, that is why I asked on this site. I'll look at old cookery books to check the exact quantities, Chewbacca. I'll let you know the results!

Chewbacca Wed 25-Mar-20 21:33:48

You should always use twice as much fresh yeast as dried, so two teaspoons of fresh should do it.

If using fresh yeast in a bread maker: Live yeast can be a bit of a hit or miss when used. Bread makers are designed to use the faster working dried yeast that are made for bread makers. I would stick to this type for more constant results with a machine. If making by hand, then live yeast is a must

Fennel Thu 26-Mar-20 11:29:18

I used to use fresh yeast. I think it was 2 oz yeast to 3lbs of flour. Method as Chewbacca wrote.
As for freezing - It probably does work, but after cutting your piece off the frozen block you need to leave it to thaw out slowly before use.
I used to freeze prepared dough and use later. Even after slow thawing it never had that spring of freshly made dough.