Gransnet forums

Food

Recommended a recipe ... inspired by what you have in stock...

(69 Posts)
NotAGran55 Tue 07-Apr-20 16:30:55

500g Bramley Apples ?

Delicious.....it’s a cake ...pudding ... big ... and can be frozen .

Hairy Bikers Spiced Apple Cake

www.hairybikers.com/recipes/view/spiced-apple-cake

Witzend Wed 20-May-20 12:53:47

Our veg box delivery is really too much for the two of us, but so far I’ve managed to use up everything except half a bulb of fennel (the only veg I don’t like, did use some in a stir fry though.).

Today I have simmering on the hob 1) yet another lot of Thai-style soup (to use up a big butternut squash and 2 sweet potatoes) and 2) a veggie pasta sauce, to use up a lot of squashy tomatoes, half a big courgette, half an orange pepper, 2 sticks of celery and half a huge onion.

We’ll have that tonight, with plenty of pasta and a load of grated mature Cheddar on top, delish.

Fennel Sun 17-May-20 17:59:55

We don't usually eat soup but decided today to make some from oldish veg from the fridge - onion carrot celery potatoes courgette and a couple of red peppers. Someone else on here had suggested that.
I had a large tin of chick peas and decided to add that too. Looked at the date -2006 shock. But rinsed them and they were ok.
Fried all up first in a little veg. oil and added s&p and half tsp each cummin and corriander powders. Covered with water and simmered for 30 mins then blitzed with blender.
It was delicious, all creamy, and meant we needed less for main course. ie cold meats and salads.
Leftover cold meats and salads - enough for tomorrow.

grannypiper Fri 15-May-20 10:29:23

Quick supper today will be toast topped with Bavarian smoked ham, pineapple ring or pineapple chunks(which ever comes to hand first) with cheese sauce poured over the top., popped in a very hot oven for 5 mins. Tropical toast, so 70s but so nice

Callistemon Fri 15-May-20 09:46:39

grin
The leek and potato soup was only enough for a trip to the moon, Elegran

Elegran Fri 15-May-20 08:45:11

Calli With those meals, we can aim for the stars, and quite possibly get that far.

Witzend Fri 15-May-20 08:30:04

Had a lot of extremely sad looking carrots to use up the other day, before the next veg box arrived.
Chopped and simmered them with half a large courgette that also needed using up, a load of onion, one veg stock cube (had run out of chicken) and a tub of homemade chicken stock out of the freezer.
It still needed something after blending, so lo, we had curried carrot soup. V nice too.

Callistemon Wed 13-May-20 13:24:35

We had roast onions, leeks and sprouts in one meal at the weekend Elegran, that was an explosive mix.

Callistemon Wed 13-May-20 13:23:37

I found two rather sad looking leeks in the vegetable drawer and some small potatoes which are just sprouting a bit.
I had boiled the chicken carcase for stock so we're going to have leek and potato soup.

Furret Wed 13-May-20 12:44:22

Here is the simplest of all. I bought tins of stuff I’d never normally buy ‘just in case’ and they have sat there unopened until last night when I was feeling lazy.

Bake a potato (well)
Open tin of mince and onions and heat up
Open potato and dollop the mince and onions over it.

Simples!

Elegran Wed 13-May-20 12:20:29

Pack of sausages out of the freezer, defrosted, grilled, cut into 1 inch pieces.
Chopped frozen onions, browned.
Tin of mixed beans (not in tomato sauce) added to onions.
Oxo cube(s), plus squeeze of tomato puree (from tube) and hot water.
Sausages added, all heated up together. Served with microwaved frozen potato pieces and microwaved green beans.

Beans twice in that meal - could be explosive.

Rosiebee Wed 13-May-20 11:28:14

Left over roast pork, 2 manky carrots, half an onion, 2 bendy celery stalks, 1 wrinkled potato and last two rashers of streaky bacon. Also small lurking tin of chickpeas.
Chopped veg - minus manky bits - and sweated in a bit of olive oil. Turned up heat and added bacon till cooked. Chopped up pork added plus drained chickpeas. Chicken stock from cube and s and p. Simmered very gently for about 30-40 mins. Mashed veg up a bit to thicken.
Sort of pottage cum cassoulet. Asked DH to taste it. Previously he would have said it needed more s and p, now he says it needs more seasoning. Watching too many cookery programmes. hmm

Riverwalk Tue 12-May-20 13:31:52

Over a month ago Phoenix mentioned spaghetti puttanesca and I suddenly had a desire to have it, not having made it for donkeys' years, so trotted off and bought a very expensive packet of spaghetti from the deli.

I then lost interest in the idea!

Today I was determined use cupboard ingredients and finally had my tasty dish smile

Callistemon Fri 24-Apr-20 16:04:42

DGD, same age, nearly choked when she tried chilli Tortilla crisps not long ago!

felice Fri 24-Apr-20 15:25:43

Callistemon, yes, pepper and chilli, and I don't like either.
Actually we do not really eat very spicy food at all as a family, except for him.
Spicy, spicy.

Callistemon Fri 24-Apr-20 14:52:19

felice I'm smiling at the thought of an 8 year old eating chilli but his Grandma doesn't!

Grany Fri 24-Apr-20 14:38:45

Peal slice potatoes from end to end par boil, on wide oven shelf add olive oil spread potatoes on top, turn once when crispy delicious, veg, carrots broccoli, and or baked beans with tin mackerel in tomato sauce, per plate.

felice Fri 24-Apr-20 14:21:30

DGS 8, always stays with me on Saturday nights, this week it seems we are having, Chicken mince spicy meatballs, Taco shells, his special sauce, Guacamole(Avocado from the corner shop), Cheese dip with chilli Tortilla chips.
By the way I do not eat chilli, so he will make two different dishes.

NotAGran55 Fri 24-Apr-20 13:50:42

Yesterday 3 Granny Smiths that we’re being given the cold shoulder in the fruit bowl

www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/apple-muffin-recipe

Witzend Fri 24-Apr-20 13:32:52

What we’re having tonight, Thai style egg fried rice, with sundry veggies and a few bits of leftover roast chicken added.
NB to self, must remember to cook the rice early since it needs to be cold.

Giorgo Wed 22-Apr-20 04:51:01

Try these simple ways on how to cook healthy and weight reducer video shrinkme.io/RxPH

Witzend Sat 18-Apr-20 12:09:53

Our weekly big veg box delivery is really too much for 2 of us, but I’m determined not to waste any of it.

Yesterday I made a thick puréed soup from a butternut squash (done first in the microwave, they’re such a PITA to peel and chop) and a swede. No actual recipe, just sort of Thai style, with chicken stock, onion, garlic, red chilli and ginger, and some leftover coconut cream that was in the fridge.
Looking forward to some of it for lunch!

Callistemon Wed 15-Apr-20 20:22:26

A stir fry:

Some raw chicken in a bag (left over from another meal) in the freezer plus some frozen ginger ( I don't know why I bought it!). Leftover shredded cabbage which I had frozen, some rather frosted end of packet green beans - discarded the frost. There was more frost than beans.
Half a pepper and some fairly new mushrooms.

I found some dried noodles in the cupboard (why did I buy them when I normally like M&S Singapore noodles?) Sweet chilli sauce.

Delicious.

paddyanne Wed 15-Apr-20 19:22:10

Maw use the ham with mushrooms and garlic in a cream sauce for pasta .I never run out of mushrooms as I keep a grow your own kit under the stairs all the time.We use a lot .mix your custard with some stewed fruit for a fool

NotAGran55 Wed 15-Apr-20 16:34:53

Half a jar of crunchy peanut butter and the kitchen smells amazing.

TwinLolly Thu 09-Apr-20 20:29:46

If anyone is struggling with recipe ideas, here is something that I found today, available as a download.

www.tinybudgetcooking.com/free-cookbook

There are 2 downloads:
Budget Meals Cookbook and
Meal Plan Cookbook

Enjoy!

?️