Gransnet forums

Food

Recommended a recipe ... inspired by what you have in stock...

(68 Posts)
NotAGran55 Tue 07-Apr-20 16:30:55

500g Bramley Apples ?

Delicious.....it’s a cake ...pudding ... big ... and can be frozen .

Hairy Bikers Spiced Apple Cake

www.hairybikers.com/recipes/view/spiced-apple-cake

phoenix Tue 07-Apr-20 18:19:30

Spaghetti putanesca, tinned tomatoes, garlic, black olives, anchovies, capers, all from tins/jars except the spaghetti!

Greymar Tue 07-Apr-20 18:22:48

" in stock", see what you did there!

Nortsat Wed 08-Apr-20 16:01:01

Not... this was a good idea for a thread, but it seems to have been overlooked.

My (not very innovative) store cupboard recipe is tagliatelle with tinned tuna, black olives, olive oil and black pepper. (I have a piece of Parmesan in the fridge, so will add a grating of that).

Come on GNs, pitch in ...??

Riverwalk Wed 08-Apr-20 16:18:03

I'm having this minus the potatoes

Baked cod

I'm just defrosting the cod loins!

NotAGran55 Wed 08-Apr-20 16:57:45

Keep them coming smile

You have sorted us for the next couple of days ..

My offer for today was the over-ripe banana staple of Banana Loaf courtesy of Mary Berry

thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/banana-loaf

Evoha16 Wed 08-Apr-20 17:07:19

Don’t forget the red chilli ? in your puttanesca ??

Auntieflo Wed 08-Apr-20 17:25:57

Lunch time was Carrot, Butternut squash, onion and potato soup, with a splash of cream. Three more meals worth now in the freezer.

Supper will be Kedgeree, made with Mackerel fillets, from the freezer, basmati rice, hard boiled egg, small onion , butter and oil, lemon juice from a bottle. Pineapple upside down cake, made and frozen preciously. (Last 2 slices)

heath480 Wed 08-Apr-20 18:05:58

Cheese,Potato,Onion and Bacon Bake,it was yummy,goodness knows how many calories were in it!

Blondiescot Wed 08-Apr-20 19:42:34

Sod the calories, heath480, that sounds delicious!

MiniMoon Wed 08-Apr-20 20:04:31

Salad with all the leaves etc that needed using up. With it, air fried salmon from the freezer which I topped with oil, paprika, freshly ground black pepper and salt. I also had a small bread roll that I made yesterday.

MawB Wed 08-Apr-20 22:08:35

I have just spotted at the back of the fridge a tub of fresh vanilla custard which I bought for when the family came for my birthday nearly 4 weeks ago.
I also have some thick sliced ham (in date, surprisingly)
Any suggestions? ????

hicaz46 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:26:03

We’re having turkey, ham and leek pie. The turkey was frozen at Christmas, the ham is what remains from a piece of gammon we cooked ourselves and has done for sandwiches, salad and ham, egg and chips already and the leek came in a veg box. The pastry will just cover top of pie as we don’t want to use too much flour.

harrigran Thu 09-Apr-20 10:29:08

Yesterday we had Kedgeree made from smoked haddock out of the freezer, boiled eggs and microwave rice. We could have added frozen or tinned peas but decided against the vegetables.

Davida1968 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:31:48

Covered (sliced) stale scones with stewed fruit (including plenty of juice) and "baked" this in the oven. It was a sort of "upside-down cobbler". Had it with cream - yummy.

polnan Thu 09-Apr-20 10:34:33

I love apple cake. but the Hairy Bikers say, OIL! argh
I like butter in my cake,

next!

deedeeP Thu 09-Apr-20 10:35:16

I made a huge stock pot of mince the other day from just what we had in stock
3 kg roasting joing minced,
2 kg onions through the mincer
2kg carrots through the mincer
2 full celery through the mincer
4 tins tomatoes squished down
2 tins sweetcorn added as is.
3 pack mushrooms diced
My magic ingredient 1kg small lentils
Various herbs and spices to taste.
1kg frozen peas added at the end
20 oxo cubes
about 2 ltrs water
Put all into a large stock pan (I use a 60 ltr catering one)
Cook until meat is done and veg have mainly dissappeared into the gravy. We now have 16 meals for 2 shrink wrapped in the freezer. All we need to do is add whatever is needed to make Curry, Chilli, Lasagne, Bolognaise, cottage pies etc, you get the drift.
Today I have 10 kg chicken breast and will make a large South Indian Curry with it all.

polnan Thu 09-Apr-20 10:36:12

oh Heath 480 I just fancy that..

now for a person living on their own?

deedeeP Thu 09-Apr-20 10:43:06

@MawB
Do you have any puff pastry or cake ingrdients? if so bake and then thicken the custard with a little cornflour and use it as a filling. If pastry thencut into oblongs prior to cooking, split lengthways and add the custard put water icing on top.
The ham could be used in a quiche if you are lucky enough to have eggs ( we havent been able to get any for over a month now and all my frozen ones have been used up) or you could roll up the ham with a "freezer Veg items" filling with a thick roux inside, or chop it and add to pasta with white sauce, onion, mustard, mushrooms or whatever you have. Hope this helps. D x

Pinkshoes26 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:48:53

I bought a small tin of corn beef when all this started. Today I am going to make corn beef hash for the first time. I looked it up and watched a U tube and thought “I can make that”.

Cambia Thu 09-Apr-20 10:50:12

DeedeeP are you feeding the five thousand? How do you happen to have so much stuff in the house to begin with? Think you must be in catering or a school dinner lady!

All sounds delicious

icanhandthemback Thu 09-Apr-20 10:53:04

My version of Rumbledee Thumps Slimming World Style. My daily allowance of Cheese, Roasted Butternut Squash, Swede and seasoning all mixed, popped into the oven and roasted until warm and crispy. It is heaven and I am the only one who loves it in this house so it is all mine. I'm like the seagulls in Finding Nemo, "Mine, mine, mine!"

Cambia Thu 09-Apr-20 10:54:48

Today because I am in Greece, I am making an Apple Strudel with Filo Pastry from the Hairy Bikers to go with afternoon tea!

I am working out and walking as much as possible so I can eat all this lovely food without gaining pounds!

Can’t believe I posted on here last summer asking how to put weight on after being really ill!

Granny23 Thu 09-Apr-20 10:59:13

Remains of a cauliflower boiled with pasta in chicken stock. Drained and added last pickings off a chicken, 1/2 pint of parsley sauce. Heated through and served with chopped parsley and black pepper. 2 meals for 1 - delicious.

gillybob Thu 09-Apr-20 11:02:58

I made the most delicious Risotto last night using Jamie Oliver’s idea of substituting this for that.

Basically you just use whatever you happen to have but mine was.....

risotto rice
Tablespoon of olive oil
Finely chopped onion and clove of garlic
Chicken stock cube
Good splash of white wine
Frozen peas
Left over chicken
A knob of butter and a mountain of grated cheddar added at the end.

Can highly recommend it for a cheap and easy supper .