Gransnet forums

Food

Butter - why does it taste so bad?

(46 Posts)
Newatthis Fri 10-Apr-20 19:12:26

I don't buy spreads as I think they are so full of additives and oils . but I do like (and buy) butter. However, when I was a child I remember butter being very tasty. I like to buy British and support our dairy farmers but I cannot find a British butter that's really creamy and tasty. In France, the butter is delicious so I have been buying French butter - a little bit more expensive but worth the pennies although still not as delicious as the butter in France. Can anyone please recommend a really creamy, tasty nice butter?.

SueDonim Sat 11-Apr-20 12:02:34

I’ve never bought spreadable butter. What’s in it to make it spreadable?

My dd uses Lurpak spreadable which I don’t much like, I find that and President butter have a greasy mouth feel,

I keep my block butter soft by using an insulated butter dish from Lakeland. I used it when living in the tropics, when I popped it in the fridge overnight and brought it out first thing in the morning. Now, in the UK it just lives on the worktop.

CherryCezzy Sat 11-Apr-20 13:05:46

I remember kangaroo butter travelsofar but can't rem having any. You can still get Fernleaf butter, I think I saw it recently.
Have you checked at a local butcher's or deli' Newatthis? Some do butter.

Newatthis Sat 11-Apr-20 13:35:18

Thank you for all this. The president is good but it doesn't taste as good as the President in France for some reason. I'm going to try some of the butter with salt crystals. they also do this from Cornwall.

kittylester Sat 11-Apr-20 16:51:08

We have cornish with seasalt from Waitrose - its lovely.

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 11-Apr-20 19:36:11

Pity the Cornish +sea salt is only from Waitrose. angry

Because, there is only one Waitrose in Cornwall. I love salted butter, live in Cornwall and the store is a 45 min drive away. sad

Grandmafrench Sat 11-Apr-20 21:11:57

Newatthis maybe we're going about this all wrong. Maybe we need to start looking at the breeds of cows producing the milk for the butter you like. Normandy cows are the smaller ones with lovely markings. They produce much creamier milk with a higher fat content and are responsible for a lot of the butter made in Northern France. Think this is why you notice the difference in taste.

All these posts are really interesting though and it's great to see that so many are really particular about something as seemingly straightforward as butter! (We need to start on cheese, next!)

SueDonim Sat 11-Apr-20 21:14:23

I’d be thrilled with a Waitrose a 45min drive away! grin My nearest is about 2.5hrs away.

As it is, I travel about 30 mins to a decent supermarket.

M0nica Sat 11-Apr-20 21:14:33

If it is spreadable, some thing has been added to make it like that. I have always used block butter and for more than 20 years it has always been organic. Lovely and creamy from cows feeding on natural pasture and hay.

Evoha16 Sat 11-Apr-20 21:58:36

The absolute best butter is Aldi West Country - I have eaten umpteen butters and this is by far the loveliest - be warned - they keep it on the top shelf ??

lemongrove Sat 11-Apr-20 23:06:12

I think Anchor is the best, I would like to have the salted version but can’t.
Unsalted butter is pants.

Eloethan Sat 11-Apr-20 23:41:36

We have bought Lurpak for years. Used to sometimes get Anchor but it seems too salty now.

I have tried other butters but I find some of them have a slightly rancid taste.

Callistemon Sat 11-Apr-20 23:46:45

I haven't seen Lurpak in a block for a long time, it only seems to come in tubs with additives now.

I like Welsh butter or Normandy butter, both salted.

kittylester Sun 12-Apr-20 11:58:44

I'm fairly sure our Sainsbury's sell it callistemon.

Witzend Sun 12-Apr-20 12:04:12

The British spreadable butter I often buy has only rapeseed oil added.

The non-butter spreads favoured by dh (he never touches butter) contain the dreaded palm oil.

M0nica Sun 12-Apr-20 15:32:53

Newatthis Has it occurred to you that the problem may not be the butter, rather that your sense of taste or memory of taste has changed. That has certainly happened to me over time.

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 15:41:09

Thanks kitty
Tesco only seems to have the tubs.

lostinfrance Mon 04-May-20 11:02:11

I still have flashbacks (nice ones) to some butter I bought in a French market in Burgundy a few years ago. There was a man on a very small stall and he sold unpasteurised milk and butter. This butter was so good I think we had scoffed it within a couple of days. We ran out of bread to spread it on.. Nothing has compared to that since.

I currently just buy supermarket salted butter. Never spreadable - there's just something about it that's not quite right.

I need to go to Burgundy and find this butter selling fella!

PamelaJ1 Mon 04-May-20 11:53:09

I think that the key to tasty butter is salt.

That’s it really?

Grannynannywanny Mon 04-May-20 12:03:07

In Stockholm airport waiting for a domestic flight to visit a university town in the north of Sweden I was fascinated watching several groups of students waiting to board the flight eating their picnic lunches.

They were spreading butter on crusty bread then passing round a salt cellar and giving the butter a liberal shake of salt.
Nothing else on the bread, just butter and lots of salt

timetogo2016 Mon 04-May-20 12:10:11

Sainsburys on the deli counter is farm produced and the best iv`e ever tasted.
Other than that WYKE farm produced butter from Somerset and for sale in Home Bargains.