Gransnet forums

Food

Out of date meat products from supermarket; worrying.

(67 Posts)
jellybeanjean Wed 29-Apr-20 11:32:13

Morning all, hope everyone's coping.
Husband and I are both over 70; he's disabled with an immune system problem, so we are able to get online shopping deliveries from our local supermarket (I've had online deliveries from them for a good while now anyway).

The three most recent orders I've had, have all contained meat product items that were past their use by date; the first (cooked chicken) was only 2 days out of date so I didn't worry too much about it. The following order contained a pack of chipolatas which was 3 days out of date, so I did complain about that; of course, you can't ring the store anymore as they've closed the phone lines and there's no way I can stand in a queue waiting outside the store just to complain about something, so I wrote a letter. The store manager kindly sent me a letter of apology and a £10 gift card. OK, fine. The final straw was when the most recent order contained a pack of pate which was over a week out of date! What is going on? Either the pickers aren't concentrating, someone isn't supervising properly or, and this is the really worrying thing, out of date foodstuff is being left on the shelves. What if I hadn't noticed? What if someone partially sighted opened it? I cannot risk compromising my husband's (or my!) health like this. I had a mind to report it to the Food Standards Agency but thought I'd write to the Head Office first. They emailed me apologising with an attached e-voucher for £15; all very nice and thank you very much, but why is this happening? It's verging on criminal.

WendySmith3 Thu 30-Apr-20 12:54:29

We’ve been having weekly food deliveries for the last five weeks and apart from quite a few things being out of stock when the delivery arrives, have been reasonably pleased with the service. However, a loaf of bread was in the bottom of a carrier bag with 7kg of potatoes on top of it and was completely flattened

Buttonjugs Thu 30-Apr-20 13:23:56

I’m pretty sure it’s illegal to sell out of date food. If you eat it because it seems okay and end up Ill then there is no comeback. I would be expecting to get a refund with a shopping voucher at the very least.

hallgreenmiss Thu 30-Apr-20 13:42:50

Agree with pp suggesting Twitter and Facebook if you can’t get a response from the supermarket.

Suzan05 Thu 30-Apr-20 14:21:25

We have had click and collect twice from Asda the other weeks we have had Asda deliveries. Excellent quality and long use by dates. Friendly delivery drivers too. I haven’t found it difficult to get deliveries either. We are in our late sixties but my husband takes steroids for Polymyalgia Rhumatica which reduce his immune system so not going out. I think we have been very lucky reading what other people have been through. I do prefer to shop myself to chose veg’ and so on and use Asda weekly. We like their meat and fresh fruit and veg. Only problem we have at the moment is getting enough eggs and flour! That seems to be a problem all round.

Greciangirl Thu 30-Apr-20 14:59:13

I would much rather shop personally and choose my own products. I won’t go to the large supermarkets, but instead am using my small local co op store.
It’s a little bit more expensive, but I feel it’s worth it for peace of mind.

I’ve never done online shopping and very much doubt I could get a slot.

Nanna58 Thu 30-Apr-20 15:38:59

Look up local butchers and ring to ask if they deliver, mine do and the meat is delicious, you might be lucky! They do eggs too.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 30-Apr-20 16:14:42

I'd report them to Trading Standards. Once for a mistake would be forgivable but not for it being repeated multiple times. Slightly off subject but was horrified to find single tins of Heinz baked beans priced at 95p a tin at our local Tesco express. Was desperate at the time so bought them, now found a 4-pack of stores own brand in Lidl for 98p. How can Tesco and Heinz justify charging nearly 4 times the price for something almost identical??!! They're having a laugh.

Peardrop50 Thu 30-Apr-20 16:18:53

I'd like to clap a big thank you for all the supermarket staff who have been thrown in to this chaotic and frightening situation and are doing their best. Our local Tesco and Iceland delivery services have both been wonderful. The quality of fruit and veg are great, use by dates quite acceptable and substitutions rare but sensible.

welbeck Thu 30-Apr-20 18:15:49

the food standards agency would not be interested in these issues, they do not carry out any inspections, they are a central body that mostly collate statistics and produce annual report.
a bit like (in)action fraud.
neither do trading standards deal with matters of food safety.
the relevant enforcement body is the environmental health department, food section, at your local council.
but in practice they are unlikely to do anything either. their inspections are pre-announced and based on a risk score, so a large supposedly respectable supermarket would have a low risk score, so be rarely inspected. also like all local authority staff , there have been severe cuts in the last 10 years. now of course even fewer around.
this would not merit any action i'm afraid.
i agree with PPs, name and shame is most likely to get a response.
to Saggi, that sounds an awkward situation. is there no one else who can fetch your shopping for you. i thought most areas had established networks of volunteers; try them:
covidmutualaid.org/local-groups/

Rosiebee Thu 30-Apr-20 23:29:53

Morrison's online for most things and a weekly forage at M&S for fresh salad, veg, fruit, chicken and bacon. Oh yes and a few treats?

Daisyboots Fri 01-May-20 00:09:44

My grandson was a picker at Tescos before being promoted and they do have to conform to a 'pick rate' which is quite fast. What I would say is that they start work at 5.30am in order to get the early deliveries out so may have to take what's on the shelf as maybe the new stock has not been put out yet. But that would not excuse out of date stock being picked as that should have removed the night before.
My youngest son has a life limiting illness and has ordered home deliveries from Iceland for several years. His last order slot he managed to get was late at 8pm to 10pm and the result was they were out of stock of fresh milk, bread etc which didnt help him at all.
Still we have to remember that the supermarkets have greatly increased the number of order slots and have therefore had to employ many new people who need training so they are mostly trying to do their best in difficult times.
Here in Portugal home delivery is in it's infancy with only one chain doing it on a reasonable scale and even then it's about a month wait for a delivery.

Greeneyedgirl Fri 01-May-20 10:20:48

Good reminder Daisyboots that there are human beings doing their best to pick and deliver food for us.
I wouldn't like to receive out of date meat, but am extremely grateful for the deliveries that I have had.
Perhaps we have taken for granted the choice and abundance and freshness of our food, which has been so easy to obtain in the past?

Callistemon Fri 01-May-20 11:27:17

I wouldn't be happy to receive out of date meat or fresh food. There should be checks in place to ensure this doesn't happen, but of course, they are all working under extreme pressure at the moment.

However, generally we tend to take our food very much for granted. Many of us do understand the huge supply chain from farmer through to delivery to our door, especially those of us who have family involved in the process, but there are some who do not.

jocork Fri 01-May-20 12:44:59

I often find out of date products still on display in my local supermarkets but if I do I always point it out to a member of staff as I don't want it to be bought by someone who doesn't check. Having failed to get a delivery slot when I attempted to go online I'm still shopping in person. The main thing putting me off online shopping was the lack of control over use by dates etc so in a way I'm glad my only attempt failed! I also like the opportunity to check out the reduced item bargains, but now I'm shopping less often that is less of a draw.

choughdancer Fri 01-May-20 14:12:18

I'm lucky as I eat vegan, and so just about everything is okay after the use-by date. But meat or dairy over the use-by sounds very dodgy, and it's probably not the best idea to eat it.

susie14 Mon 11-May-20 17:40:29

Just catching up on this thread. I've had similar issues, products had to be used by the day after delivery etc and no mention on the paperwork, also a whole bag of tomatoes and soft fruits didn't turn up despite being charged so I complained, the store wanted to give me vouchers to use on my next online delivery but I refused and received a credit for the items that didn't appear and credit for the short date items. I think the stores are using temporary staff who are just grabbing things from the shelves without looking or caring.