Gransnet forums

Food

Tinned Tomatoes

(70 Posts)
Alexa Sat 02-May-20 14:27:54

are a great ingredient. But usually only when some honey is added. Or , failing honey, sugar.

Daisymae Fri 08-May-20 08:09:22

If you can get them, the tinned or bottled Sicilian cherry tomatoes are worth paying the extra for. My Mil was Italian and would always add a pinch of sugar to tinned tomatoes. In the Italian countryside they would bottle tomatoes at the end of the summer. I remember an afternoon spent with a huge cauldron bubbling away outside. So I don't think that it's particularly authentic to only use fresh.

MawB Fri 08-May-20 08:10:15

Sorry OP but saying tinned tomatoes are a great ingredient is a bit like saying bread goes well with butter.
As for honey????
I am reminded of, I think Spike Milligan (?)
I eat my peas with honey
I’ve done it all my life
It makes them taste quite funny
But it keeps them on my knife
??????

Callistemon Fri 08-May-20 09:33:10

MawB that reminds me of the time when one of my DC had a book of Spike Milligan poetry as a set book for GCSE.

'Twas never thus in my day!

Callistemon Fri 08-May-20 09:34:28

Ps I'm not sure if that was a Spike Milligan poem, though, although it sounds like his style.

Alishka Fri 08-May-20 12:03:22

Love that Spike pomegrin
Cirio's a good make,btw.
I learned to cook in middle Italy and adding sugar to tinned toms is a new one to me.
There's also no mention of sugar in my Italian cookbook, ie those bought in, and written in, Italian, either.
Strange, that..

lemongrove Fri 08-May-20 12:22:09

I have never added sugar or salt to tinned tomatoes when using them in recipes, like spag bol or chilli or whatever.

lemongrove Fri 08-May-20 12:22:51

I do add honey to apples when softening them for pies or crumbles though.

SueDonim Fri 08-May-20 15:32:58

That poem was by Ogden Nash, I believe.

I made a red pepper & tomato soup earlier this week. It didn’t taste quite right so I added a tiny amount of sugar and it was transformed!

Puzzler61 Fri 08-May-20 15:39:32

Ditto kittylester and Callistemon.
Napolina would be my first choice, and a pinch of sugar.

Alishka Fri 08-May-20 19:56:49

I've gone off on a Spike Millican poetry reveriegrin Do you want to hear/read the one that reminds me of my long-gone friend? I'll post it if anyone wants..
(and it's got nothing to do with tinned tomatoesgrin)

kittylester Sat 09-May-20 08:51:02

Yes please.

DD3 used to enter drama and speech competitions and I remember Spike Milligan poems with great fondness!

Blinko Sat 09-May-20 08:58:08

MawB love the poem. Thanks for a smile to start the day. ??

HurdyGurdy Sat 09-May-20 09:05:38

I've often seen instructions to add a bit of sugar to recipes involving tomatoes - or granulated sweetener. I've no idea why, and I've never done it.

And now I'm wracking my brains trying to remember if that was just with tinned tomatoes, or if the recipes called for sugar/sweetener with fresh tomatoes as well.

growstuff Sat 09-May-20 09:18:21

I'm quite glad I usually only cook for myself. I don't add salt or sugar to anything, but I'm happy with how my food tastes. Thank goodness I don't have to please anybody else. Tinned tomatoes always taste sweet to me anyway.

Callistemon Sat 09-May-20 09:30:36

It's only a pinch, perhaps a level teaspoon when making bolognaise sauce which may be 4 or 5 portions (some for the freezer).

Redhead56 Sat 09-May-20 10:11:45

My dad always had a greenhouse full of tomatoes and other veg. I grew up wanting to grow my own too some times successfully some times not so. Fresh tomatoes are lovely with a pinch of salt. I love to make stuffed and baked large tomatoes and peppers Greek style. Tinned tomatoes are an essential in my house I have at least six tins no particular brand in the pullout. I make a batch of Jamie's sauce with added veg its gorgeous it can be used in lots of recipes. As soon as have used one bag of it from the freezer I make another to replace it. It's better than a jar any day.

Fiachna50 Sat 09-May-20 10:19:23

I usually make Chilli with tinned tomatoes. Ive never added sugar, I think we have enough sugar in food as it is.

growstuff Sun 10-May-20 01:18:51

I agree with you Fiachna. I never realised putting sugar in tinned tomatoes was ever on anybody's agenda. Nutritionally, tinned tomatoes are mainly just sugar in water anyway.

Carillion01 Sun 10-May-20 08:45:07

Redhead what are 'Greek style' stuffed tomatoes/peppers? They sound delicious.

Greyduster Sun 10-May-20 08:48:35

I use a lot of tinned tomatoes and have always added a level teaspoon of sugar. It improves the flavour. My father would never have any other tinned tomatoes but Cirio with his breakfast, which he insisted were the best (they are certainly one of the most expensive!). I use any old brand - he’d be disgusted!

Rosiebee Sun 10-May-20 11:12:54

I've been making up batches of tomato "sauce" to top pizzas and always add a pinch of sugar to my tinned chopped tomatoes, but would never think to add the sugar if I was eating whole tinned tomatoes on their own.

growstuff Sun 10-May-20 11:17:49

Do people eat tinned tomatoes on their own? I'd never thought about. I must admit I don't and I don't think I would. I only ever use them to make sauces, which I cook down.

Greyduster Sun 10-May-20 11:37:09

DH’s favourite breakfast is tinned tomatoes (sans sugar) with bacon, eggs and a fried Derbyshire oatcake to soak up the juice! Not my cup of tea, but, a chacun son gout!

sodapop Sun 10-May-20 12:42:31

It says a lot about the way things are at the moment that we can have 49 posts about tinned tomatoes. smile I really dislike them.

Nanagem Sun 10-May-20 12:55:11

I always add a little honey or sugar to tinned tomatoes, it cuts through the acidity which can cause indigestion especially if you have a sensitive tummy.