Gransnet forums

Food

Tinned Tomatoes

(70 Posts)
Alexa Sat 02-May-20 14:27:54

are a great ingredient. But usually only when some honey is added. Or , failing honey, sugar.

Callistemon Sun 10-May-20 13:02:44

I used to eat tinned tomatoes on toast growstuff but haven't done that for years.
Before I read the tip about adding an inch of sugar.

FarNorth Sun 10-May-20 13:41:09

A pinch, Callistemon?

Jennerdysphoria Sun 10-May-20 14:05:33

I like tinned tomatoes on toast. Never added sugar.

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 10-May-20 14:13:34

Same here Minimoon

1 tsp of sugar in a dish containing tinned toms really brings out of the flavour of the toms.

Rosiebee Mon 11-May-20 08:39:37

Only time we eat tinned tomatoes on their own is Sunday breakfast. Always streaky bacon, mushrooms, tinned tomatoes-welldrained- and toast. DH also has 2 fried eggs and I have pesto on my tomatoes???

Callistemon Mon 11-May-20 09:57:17

FarNorth grin

Yes, a pinch!!

Callistemon Mon 11-May-20 09:58:11

It was autocorrect again
I wouldn't type an pinch (would I?)

quizqueen Mon 11-May-20 10:40:23

Obviously, people haven't heard that sugar is bad for you. There's too much already hidden in processed foods. There's absolutely no reason to add it to savoury foods; you are just encouraging your taste buds to crave more sweetness.

Callistemon Mon 11-May-20 10:45:00

I think half a teaspoonful of sugar spread over 5 portions of food is hardly over-indulging.
I would not use a jar of bolognaise sauce as I'm sure the sugar content is too high.

Funny that our very elderly relative likes about 5 teaspoons of sugar in tea; how did he get to be over 100?

Callistemon Mon 11-May-20 10:48:47

You should see the cake I just made for Miss on the Maths thread, quizqueen if you're going to be the new Sugar Tsar.

All those supermarket shelves full of fizzy drinks sweetened with aspartame fill me with horror.

And no, we don't have much sugar chez nous.

Alexa Mon 11-May-20 18:26:19

Isn't it intriguing how food can become a moral issue !

SueDonim Mon 11-May-20 18:39:31

Food is very much a moral issue! Think of guilty treats, ‘syns’ with one of the slimming groups, clean-eating, ‘dirty’ burgers, rewards and so on.

I must say, I don’t think a pinch of sugar in four portions of a spag Bol sauce is going to cause anyone to crave sugar and if you eat a lot of processed food anyway, well, game over.

Callistemon Mon 11-May-20 18:41:21

Anyway, I have heard tell that sugar is bad for you.
But I must support the cane farmers.

Grandmafrench Mon 11-May-20 18:53:48

Adding a pinch of sugar to tinned tomatoes brings out the flavour perfectly. Most cooks/chefs advocate using tinned tomatoes now when they are cooked and incorporated in dishes because the standard of fresh tomatoes in the shops is so poor. It's easy to see this if we try home/garden grown tomatoes, the difference in taste is very marked. Too many supermarket tomatoes are artificially ripened by blasting them with methane and while the skins turn red, they have little taste, are watery inside and have thickened areas inside the fruit which stays white or lime green. Tinned tomatoes are always of a reliable standard. If I use fresh, I normally buy cocktail tomatoes for the flavour in winter. In summer I buy from local markets where they are cheap and they always smell peppery and just like those my Granddad grew in his garden when I was young.

Callistemon Mon 11-May-20 18:55:46

I make my own tomato sauce if we have a glut of tomatoes and freeze it and always add just a pinch of sugar

Witzend Wed 13-May-20 23:33:51

Tinned tomatoes on toast were my go-to lunch in the student canteen when I was even more broke than usual. They cost all of 9d.

Callistemon Wed 13-May-20 23:42:24

Beans on toast with a poached egg on top were a luxury in those days.
A perfect meal.

Alishka Thu 14-May-20 00:15:11

I'm Shielding for another few days/weeks/months/whatever and I've tonight completed my home delivery order. So, is it you lot who're stockpiling tinned tomatoes? None to be had at Iceland(the only s/market round here that had spaces).Didn't check their sugar stocks tho..grin

Witzend Thu 14-May-20 14:54:04

My ‘luxury’ meal when I was a very broke student was a packet Vesta paella - anyone else remember those? Nice and easy to make on a Baby Belling.
Can’t remember how much they were, maybe all of 2/-, very extravagant!