Gransnet forums

Food

What have you been trying your hand at?

(67 Posts)
Rosiebee Sun 10-May-20 11:28:00

My dear stepson managed to get me some dried yeast. Mine was several years months out of date and I thought I'd have a go at making Pizza. Made up the quantity of dough suggested but it was for two pizzas and DH and I couldn't manage one each so I froze half the dough not really expecting it to do much when defrosted. I was amazed though that when I used it for pizza again the following week it was just as good. Also made a treacle and soda bread with only, just out of date bicarbonate of soda, [ a few months]. Very tasty and now I have new some soda I'll give it another go. Really enjoying my bread making efforts.

Rosiebee Thu 21-May-20 14:08:16

Boiled fruitcake - First time I have used this recipe in over 30years. Had to buy a new cake tin. Mine had to simmer for 3 mins and be cool before mixing without flour etc. No egg in recipe. Can't wait to try it.smile

Elegran Fri 15-May-20 15:51:46

Yes, it was easy. Just use plenty of extra flour when rolling them out, or they will stick to the rolling pin, the board, your fingers - anything!
PS I used bamboo skewers laid each side of the pastry to guide the rolling-pin and keep the thickness even. I think they were less than 3mm thick, so the biscuits were thinner too.

Brunette10 Fri 15-May-20 15:31:17

Oh thank you so much, will give them a go. Looks easy enough - I hope!

Elegran Fri 15-May-20 13:09:19

Wheatmeal digestive biscuit recipe for Brunette.

WHOLEMEAL DIGESTIVES

100g whole-wheat flour
100g medium oatmeal
50g soft brown or caster sugar (but I used ordinary white)
a pinch of salt
100g butter or margarine
1-2 tablespoons milk (skimmed works OK)

Method

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4/350F/180C. Grease baking trays or add baking paper.
Mix together all of the dry ingredients and rub in the butter to a breadcrumb texture.
Add enough milk to create a moist pastry consistency.
Refrigerate for 15 minutes to firm the mix.

This creates a fairly delicate dough. Roll with great care using a dusting of wholemeal flour on top and underneath to prevent sticking.
When 3mm thick cut into 6-7cm discs re-rolling any trimmings.
Place the discs on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake in the pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned and firm to the touch.
They will swell slightly so don’t overcrowd the trays

Remove from the oven and leave to rest for five minutes before transferring onto a wire rack. They are best kept in an airtight container and eaten within 2-3 days (but I was still eating them a week later, and they were fine)

Brunette10 Fri 15-May-20 12:45:53

elegran recipe would be good thanks. Just got back to this thread, thank you.

sallysmum Wed 13-May-20 22:56:03

Digestive biscuits with grated cheese and apple slices. Delicious.

Witzend Wed 13-May-20 10:26:04

Three times now I’ve made a Thai style soup to use up some of our veg box stuff. Funnily enough swede and parsnip go extremely well with butternut squash! I sauté a lot of chopped onion, then simmer in chicken stock with the swede and parsnip, plus garlic, ginger and red chilli. Butternut squash cooks in the microwave first, so can just scoop it out.

A can of coconut milk at the end, whizz with stick blender in the pan, bingo. We’ve both really enjoyed this for several lunches, very filling. I think it was even tastier when I was running out of chicken stock cubes and added a tub of homemade chicken stock out of the freezer.

Callistemon Tue 12-May-20 16:59:25

Good.

We've had difficulty sourcing eggs too for some reason.

Lisagran Tue 12-May-20 16:55:56

I haven’t any eggs, hence this eggless recipe. Mr L says they’re ok!

Callistemon Tue 12-May-20 16:31:39

Yes, mine are a bit hit and miss. The trick is not to make them too thick.
My neighbour used to pass a big plateful over the fence every St David's Day, then she moved so I had to start making them.
They may finish cooking from the residual heat.
The recipe I use does have an egg in it.

They look very nice Lisagran.

Lisagran Tue 12-May-20 14:18:35

Anyone used to making Welsh cakes? Made some today (eggless) and they’re ok, but a bit squodgy. Should I have cooked them for a bit longer at a lower heat?

Elegran Tue 12-May-20 09:56:02

Ingredient proportions for boiled fruit cake -
4 oz sugar
4 oz magre
1/4 pint liquid (water/orange juice/guinness - whatever)
8 oz dried fruit
simmer 20 mins, cool,

1 beaten egg, stirred in well
8 oz SR flour

1 1/4 hours at 160 degrees C (Fan oven)

Date or cherry variations - 4 oz dates or glace cherries instead of dried fruit. Do not simmer, just heat gently until fat is melted. Dates AND cherries even better.

Elegran Tue 12-May-20 09:45:31

Or a clean knife, if you don't have a skewer (or can't find it in the chaos of the cutlery drawer)

Callistemon Tue 12-May-20 09:36:34

Always test with a skewer!

Elegran Tue 12-May-20 09:26:05

I've never had a failure with a boiled fruit cake either. Th fat/sugar/fruit/spices/liquid mix doesn't actually boil, just simmers for 20 minutes, cools a bit, then I add the eggs into the saucepan,, stirring well so that they don't cook into streaks, and then the flour' and turn it into the lined loaf tin. I do find that it needs a full hour at least to cook through, maybe 10-15 mins more. Perhaps the centre of Rosenoir's and Daisyboots' loaves was still too damp, and that is why they sank?`

Rosiebee Mon 11-May-20 23:25:03

I used to make a boiled fruitcake more than 30 years ago for 1st H. Must have been good, as I kept the recipe but ditched Ist H.(He was never a DH) Think I'll make one tomorrow. Love all this baking. Regularly make Delia's gingernuts. Would never buy them now.

Callistemon Mon 11-May-20 22:52:19

I've never had a failure with a boiled fruit cake, they always rise - did you let the melted mixture cool down completely before adding the beaten eggs and SR flour?
I make them in a deep round cake tin not a loaf tin.
I hope they tasted all right, though rosenoir and daisyboots

Biscoff biscuits, lovely. I may try those.

Yes, I've been doing crafts too!

Daisyboots Mon 11-May-20 22:20:56

Rosenoir very much like mine except it was actually in the middle. Husband got at it before I got a chance to take a photo but as you say it was very tasty.

Qwerty Mon 11-May-20 20:02:00

Flat Breads - a first for me. They were very nice, though quite salty, even DH commented and he likes salt. I checked the recipe 1 tablespoon oil.... 1 teaspoon salt! So that's why. No yeast needed quite quick. I'd make them again. Must try Boiled Fruit Bread as someone else suggested and read through all the other suggestions.

Vintagegirl Mon 11-May-20 19:05:47

I have made two 'crazy paving' knee rugs out of odd balls of wool in house, now trying some crochet things, with help of youtube demos. I have made a lot of facemasks as had some nice cotton dress fabric unused from 40 yrs ago.... now out of elastic and correct coloured thread so will stop. It is impossible to get online items unless wait til end of June. Garden is looking good from extra attention and lovely weather. I have moved two ton of stone chippings that were delivered to front of house just before things closed.

Lisagran Mon 11-May-20 18:31:22

(Also, I didn’t have syrup, so I used honey. Very more-ish)

Lisagran Mon 11-May-20 18:30:07

I’ve made a variety of biscuits, including these Hobnob style ones. With all sweet recipes, I always halve the amount of sugar, as I find them too sweet otherwise. So used 4 oz (about 100g). 8 oz is about 225g

May7 Mon 11-May-20 18:22:33

I'm learning to play piano. It's an online course. I can play twinkle twinkle little star and ode to joy

grandMattie Mon 11-May-20 17:28:12

Everyone baking only? I’m trying patchwork and making a small quilt for my GDs with offcuts from dresses and stuff I have made for them over the years.

Nanna58 Mon 11-May-20 17:28:06

I’m learning Spanish online too Clarkehouse! Had to order a Spanish grammar book to help, am now strongly tempted to cover it in old wallpaper like we used to with our school books to give me the whole retro experience!?