Gransnet forums

Food

Where is all the flour?

(44 Posts)
H1954 Tue 12-May-20 16:37:08

I've been to the supermarket this morning, this is my usual weekly visit. Once again I've been unable to buy flour, there's no plain, SR or bread flour to be had in Tesco, Asda etc. So I looked on Amazon; hugely inflated exploitive prices remeniscent of the Black Market during WW2! Rant over!

Puzzler61 Tue 12-May-20 16:45:08

I’ve read from several sources that the Milling Association has not been able to pack the flours into ‘domestic’ size bags for supermarkets - there just hasn’t been enough bags available to keep up with the increased demand from supermarket customers.

Justwidowed Tue 12-May-20 16:46:49

Last week I read that Asda and Morrisons supermarkets that had in store bakeries were selling flour including bread flour SR and plain flour in kg packs for 60p.Morrisons were also selling yeast.Havent seen any further confirmation of this .
Hope this helps.My neighbour has been doing my shopping and managed to get SR flour from both Aldi and Asda .

Sparklefizz Tue 12-May-20 16:49:03

People having to cook for themselves from scratch?

Missfoodlove Tue 12-May-20 16:49:40

Hi there, local shops are worth a try. Our whole food shop is buying sacks and splitting them

Sadly I think it’s rotting in people’s cupboards, everyone is suddenly a baker!!

This will make you smile in Lidl the other a day a couple ( clearly able but have to shop together!) stood touching all the flour bags, there was 1 white bread flour left.
He said this is what we need, she piped up there’s no [email protected]@@@@g yeast though!
Don’t need yeast for this he said it’s bread flour you just add water.
In the trolley it went.

LadyGracie Tue 12-May-20 16:53:14

They’ve got some at our local shop and at the farm shop, it’s eggs I’m after!

Chewbacca Tue 12-May-20 17:04:33

Aldi are currently selling 10kg bags of flour. And they have stacks of eggs in all sizes.

merlotgran Tue 12-May-20 17:32:28

I ordered a bag of gf plain flour from Sainsbury's and got a tiny tub of brown rice flour costing a whopping £1.40. hmm

Soupy Tue 12-May-20 17:37:27

Our local cake decorating shop is buying sacks of flour and then splitting it into 1Kg bags to sell. Doing a roaring trade.

annep1 Tue 12-May-20 17:42:58

My last Sainsbury order I could not get eggs or flour.

Purpledaffodil Tue 12-May-20 17:47:04

www.dovesfarm.co.uk/products
They do a flour assortment box for £11 plus £5 delivery. Mine had white and wholemeal bread flour, plain and SR flour, a bag of spelt flour and a bag of rye. All organic and a packet of yeast.
You have to get in early as they sell out and it took several days for me to get one, but lovely flour and arrived within a few days.

grandMattie Tue 12-May-20 17:49:08

From what I see on Fb, everyone, but everyone has taken up baking! So... no flour.
Added to that, the millers are unable to pack the small packets [1.5kg and smaller] fast enough. The demand has gone through the roof!
I have been able to get some flour [not a lot!] from our local farm shop, and the small corner shops.

bikergran Tue 12-May-20 17:59:29

I work in supermarket, I haven't been able to manage to get a bag of flour! I keep seeing odd bags come through the checkout and say "oh we have flour in"! yes! but there's only one bag left confused comes the reply.

I went in local Tescos for my mum yesterday and they were selling little bags of flour on the home bakery, in see through plastic bags. Not sure if all Tescos are doing it.May be worth a look.

Calendargirl Tue 12-May-20 18:07:59

I commented on another thread on Sunday that Prue Leith’s solution to the lack of plain and SR flour is to use polenta, chestnut or any other nut flour.

Hmm, right.

🤔

Gaunt47 Tue 12-May-20 18:14:09

Calendargirl That was helpful of her wasn't it? I'll just pop over to Tesco and buy up their supply.
I think we've probably got another example of loo roll hysteria.

Calendargirl Tue 12-May-20 18:16:16

There’s none on their website, well, not when I last looked.

Sussexborn Tue 12-May-20 18:25:08

The downside of the Internet! Someone mentions online that ????? has flour/eggs/toilet roll and two hours later it has all vanished.

Quite often those buying it haven’t got a clue what to do with it so it will moulder away til it reaches the use by date when it will get thrown in the bin. Oddly enough there doesn’t seem to be a shortage of bread products locally. Very weird!

Loislovesstewie Tue 12-May-20 18:31:43

There was plenty in Aldi when I shopped earlier this week. So I made a big batch of scones!

ElaineI Tue 12-May-20 18:32:45

It is a bit strange - this is what we can't get in my area:
flour - any
cinnamon
bay leaves
condensed milk
antibacterial wipes
hand sanitiser
face masks
disposable gloves
chalk

Some things I understand but others are bizarre.

Fennel Tue 12-May-20 18:40:54

Husband bought some wholemeal bread flour online - 5kg. It came with a small pot of dried yeast.
I need some white bf too as I find 100% wholemeal is too heavy. I use 70% wholemeal/ 30% white.

Fennel Tue 12-May-20 18:42:01

ps as to the shortage, I agree with those who say more people are baking at home these days.

SalsaQueen Tue 12-May-20 19:05:41

All the supermarkets near to me - we're lucky to have Sainsbury's, Lidl, Asda and Aldi within a mile - are out of stock of all flour. I called into the corner shop, and they've got loads! All in brown paper bags.

bikergran Tue 12-May-20 19:44:08

I've seen Coconut flour on the shelves no idea what you do with it.

Furret Tue 12-May-20 20:24:34

Don’t rely on supermarkets. We get our flour and yeast from the little bread/bakers shop. It might not be the same where you are but round here they are happy to sell you a kg or two of any kind of flour because they buy in bulk.

Worth asking?

suziewoozie Wed 13-May-20 09:52:35

Purple Thanks for link. I was successful this morning and also ordered a box for delivery to a shielded friend - it’ll be a lovely surprise for her.