Gransnet forums

Food

Cake recipes using plain flour ?

(18 Posts)
jdga Fri 24-Jul-20 02:52:44

Do u fancy peach cake, spice cake, German choc or choc devils’ food cake, *carrot cake or red velvet?
All of these take plain flour & no baking powder...

*the peach cake & red velvet don’t require buttermilk, but the rest do need it. (A substitute for buttermilk is easily made by mixing milk & lemon or milk & vinegar).

If anyone wants the receipes, pls msg me.

25Avalon Thu 23-Jul-20 11:37:37

Sainsbury’s have a very nice recipe for lemon drizzle cake which is plain flour and no baking powder.

Magnolia62 Thu 23-Jul-20 10:52:31

Late to reply, but Genoese sponge follows the instructions for a whisked sponge that @felice has listed, but you then gently fold in melted butter. It keeps for longer than a whisked sponge. Incidentally, , a whisked sponge mixture is used for a Swiss roll using plain flour but people cheat a little and use sr flour.

Also, ginger cakes use plain flour and bicarbonate of soda as a raising as the ginger disguises the taste of the bicarbonate.

ExD Fri 22-May-20 14:32:55

Sorry I'm working in ounces - I try and try but just cannot visualise grams or litres. I know exactly how much an ounce of sugar is, or half a pint of milk ..... but metric just doesn't do the job!

Fennel Wed 20-May-20 19:53:14

I've got a recipe somewhere for honeycake made with plain flour. But towards the end you add some bicarb. mixed with orange juice and it all fizzes up.
The cake rises ok. you need to bake it in a pre-heated oven.

polyester57 Wed 20-May-20 11:06:26

My son is a vegan and I have tried the chickpea route. Honestly, it doesn´t work very well with the liquid from a tin of chickpeas, though it does whisk up from liquid from soaked dried chickpeas. Just saying.

felice Tue 19-May-20 16:02:41

ExD, thats the recipe I have been trying to remember, Genoese Sponge. Thank you.

Sheena Tue 19-May-20 15:47:48

Thanks ExD ... sounds good.. I'll give that a go

ExD Tue 19-May-20 15:04:17

My MIL makes wonderful sponges from 3 eggs, 3 oz sugar and 3 oz PLAIN flour. Try it - light as air.

Whisk eggs and sugar till pale and doubled in size (over a pan of hot water if you want a really good rise and have strong arm muscles!)
Fold in flour.
Bake at 180 for about 25 mins.

Callistemon Tue 19-May-20 14:54:26

The lemon cake looks nice Bathsheba

Callistemon Tue 19-May-20 14:52:51

Yes, Ramblingrose, Delia's Christmas cake recipe states plain flour.

I expect you could make a lighter version, Sheena and ?

Sheena Tue 19-May-20 14:37:21

Thanks Bathsheba .. that recipe looks great.

Baggs, I've got the soda bicarb, but no cream of tartar .. I'll add it to my next shopping order .. fingers crossed they'll have some !!

Sussexborn Tue 19-May-20 14:16:17

Thanks. I’ve taken a photo for future use just in case.

Saw a suggestion recently that the liquid from a tin of chickpeas can be used to make meringues. Thought I would try but OH reminded me that sugar overload added to my pain problems. I don’t think he fancied the idea.

Yesterday’s bread was made out of a mixture of plain and S.R. without bread flour. It looks and smells ok but not been tasted yet.

Baggs Tue 19-May-20 14:12:46

Can you get bicarbonate of soda and cream of tartar, sheena. You can make your own baking powder with those. I forget the proportions but I'm sure it's findable online.

Ramblingrose22 Tue 19-May-20 14:09:38

I am no expert but I expect that heavier cakes such as fruit cake don't need s-r flour.

Bathsheba Tue 19-May-20 14:03:19

I found this one online - not tried it myself, only found it just now. It's a US recipe, using 'all purpose flour', which, according to Mr Google, is plain flour.

cookwithrenu.com/2018/06/lemon-cake-no-baking-powder-no-baking-soda.html

Esspee Tue 19-May-20 14:01:45

I remember my mother once using Andrews Liver Salts when in a similar situation. It caused great hilarity and was named her St Andrews cake. It tasted fine.
Thanks for bringing back that memory @Sheena ?

Sheena Tue 19-May-20 13:57:10

Has anyone got any recipes for cakes using plain flour but that don't need baking powder.

As we can't seem to get SR flour for love nor money I've got plenty of plain flour but can't get baking powder.

I've "googled" recipes, but they all seem to need baking powder.

Any tips anyone please?