Gransnet forums

Food

I don't want to eat American meat

(115 Posts)
ChrisCross Sun 24-May-20 12:31:29

If as reported in the Mail on Sunday today -May 24th - trade secretary Liz Truss is trying to set up a trade deal with the USA - which would presumably have a dramatic knock on effect on our own UK farmers - there is no way I want to eat American meat - the animals allegedly raised in very poor conditions and also, allegedly fed anti-biotics as a matter of course whether they are ill or not. yuk. No thanks. Let's hope the Environment Secretary George Eustace gets on the case.

Luckygirl Sun 24-May-20 12:34:10

It seems extraordinary when we have a fundamental lesson to be learned in self-sufficiency as a nation going on around us all the time.

midgey Sun 24-May-20 12:38:19

We have fantastic meat in our own country, our farmers are second to none. Presumably it will be cheap meat imported, what we need to learn is good food is expensive. We all need to learn to buy better and eat less.

flaxwoven Sun 24-May-20 12:38:36

While the Covid virus, Brexit, crowded beaches etc get the newspaper headlines, it makes wonder what backdoor deals are being done without us knowing.

Blinko Sun 24-May-20 12:38:40

I definitely would take every precaution against eating American meat. It's high time for another Let's All Back Britain campaign. Where are the women from Dagenham when you need em?

Bathsheba Sun 24-May-20 12:41:00

And it's not even going to help by going vegetarian, because no doubt all their GM crops will be imported here too shock

EllanVannin Sun 24-May-20 12:44:51

Chicken a-la-bleach----oooh lovely.

What's wrong with Australian ? If it has to be imported.

This is why Trump was so keen on Brexit---trade deals with the USA. A big mistake.

NotSpaghetti Sun 24-May-20 12:59:56

I listened to "farming today" maybe a week ago talking about this. The US line is that we have been "denied choice" because of UK/EU food regulation which has different (actually better) standards and rules and now we can have more choice and cheaper meat.

Yes, those who can afford to will buy better quality but many will be forced to eat this poor-welfare product because it will inevitably be cheapest. I just hope our farmers aren't forced to compromise standards to stay in business.

Truly awful.

NotSpaghetti Sun 24-May-20 13:01:08

You are right Bathsheba - that is something else discussed. We need to be "led by science" apparently.

sodapop Sun 24-May-20 13:05:02

We need to support our own farmers and stop importing so much food.
As I understand it there are no national laws in USA regarding food and animal safety each state has its own ideas. Disaster waiting to happen whilst our own hard working farmers go under. Definitely time to back Britain Blinko

rosecarmel Sun 24-May-20 13:55:55

What you may not know is that the "cheap" meat is what Americans mostly eat- The American grass fed is exported to countries with strict regulations- We import grass fed from Australia- It can also be purchased from local farmers when available-

NotSpaghetti Sun 24-May-20 14:01:44

My son buys grass fed or organic meat in the USA. It is VERY expensive compared to their "ordinary" meat. The premium is much, much more than here.

Baggs Sun 24-May-20 14:23:36

"I don't want to eat American meat"

Don't then. Choose meat from elsewhere. Customer power.

dayvidg Sun 24-May-20 14:26:59

Don't buy it. Supermarkets will stock what people buy.

ladymuck Sun 24-May-20 14:30:59

You don't want to eat it? Then don't buy it. No-one is going to force you.
Let us just take care to monitor what is being fed to school children. The cheapest might be the option there.

Witzend Sun 24-May-20 14:33:03

I never buy non U.K. meat anyway, except the occasional joint of NZ lamb. I won’t buy any non U.K. ham or bacon - I’m very wary of factory-farmed methods in EU countries. So we don’t eat a lot of it, but it’s got to be U.K., higher welfare.

All the chickens I ever see for sale here, whether in cheaper or more expensive supermarkets, and whether free range or not, are always U.K. origin anyway.

SueDonim Sun 24-May-20 14:50:58

It’s easy to avoid any product you don’t wish to eat - read the label. I only buy Scottish meat and as far as possible, I buy locally produced meat. It’s a bit more expensive but we now go days without eating any meat at all, so it balances out.

I did get caught out with a local butcher, though, which is why reading the label or asking questions is important. I bought some bacon and when I got home, found it was Dutch. I was quite cross about that, even though it was my own fault for not checking, because it’s a much-eulogised local business who I assumed would only sell Scottish/British produce.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 24-May-20 14:54:12

Buy British meat then, it’s easy.
Witzend DH popped into our local Tesco some months ago and bought 2 ready meals, Thai currys , both had written on the back, ‘chicken from Thailand’.
So we have to be vigilant and read the backs of the packaging in case they try to sneak foreign meat in.
I must add that we don’t usually buy processed food, he was very naughty and has promised he won’t do it again.

NfkDumpling Sun 24-May-20 15:16:58

I don’t eat chicken in restaurants now as it’s usually from Brazil or Thailand or somewhere else with appalling animal husbandry standards. Or pork. The way many EU countries raise pork isn’t good either. It’s a problem as I can’t eat vegetarian as everything they make has to have garlic in and I’m garlic intolerant. I’m not too worried about eating out now as, unless it’s a local pub advertising local produce I find myself limited to seafood and omelettes!

Food from the USA isn’t any worse than a lot of other places in the world where we already import cheap meat from. The best way to protest is not to eat it. Then we get to export our quality produce to them and they learn to appreciate the finer things in life.

boodymum67 Sun 24-May-20 15:20:26

what about all those air miles? In Uk we have cows, sheep, pigs...don't we have a duty to support our own farmers first\?

GillT57 Sun 24-May-20 16:19:31

It may not be as easy to avoid eating this USA imported crap produce as we hope; I beleive that one of the conditions will be removing country of origin from meat products. So, unless you buy direct from your local trusted butcher, you are going to be buying blind.

Cherrytree59 Sun 24-May-20 16:28:14

Look for the Red Tractor symbol ?

phoenix Sun 24-May-20 17:02:37

The meat we eat is from British Farms, with the occasional NZ lamb.

kittylester Sun 24-May-20 17:42:50

Use a butcher or farm shop. Or read the labels.

Charleygirl5 Sun 24-May-20 18:03:09

kittylester I would love to buy from a butcher who did not sell Halal meat! I would not know where there was one hence I buy meat at supermarkets.