Gransnet forums

Food

Dijon mustard

(12 Posts)
MayBee70 Sun 24-May-20 15:17:31

Is Dijon mustard the same as French mustard. I've seen a recipe for dill mustard [which I love] but it says to use Dijon mustard and I only have French. Don't want to waste the ingredients. I've got a feeling Dijon mustard is more yellowy than French.

silverlining48 Sun 24-May-20 15:23:58

Dijon mustard is French mustard. good luck with the recipe.

ninathenana Sun 24-May-20 17:55:26

Found this

May7 Sun 24-May-20 18:09:54

Dijon mustard is dark yellow and it is French but French mustard (my favourite) is dark brown

Fennel Sun 24-May-20 18:26:16

As others have said I think "french" mustard is smooth like english mustard but a darker colour.
I've still got a pot of Moutarde Ancienne from our years in France. It's a dark colour, packed with dark whole mustard seeds. I can't read the ingredients on the label. It's milder in flavour than english mustard such as Colmans
I use it to make a salad dressing .Plus vinegar honey and olive oil.
Maybe the mustard plants that grow in France are different from those in England.

MayBee70 Sun 24-May-20 19:14:10

I think I need to get hold of some Dijon. I've never been interested in making sauces etc before. Lockdown has had some strange effects on me.

Witzend Sun 24-May-20 19:29:05

I was in Asda not long ago when an elderly man asked an assistant where the Dijon mustard was.
She said, ‘Oh, we don’t stock that any more.’

I was about to queue at the checkout, ditto the elderly man, but I thought that surely couldn’t be right, so I went and looked.
Three different brands of Dijon mustard at more or less eye level on the shelf!
So I showed him.
I couldn’t help wondering whether the assistant had just never heard of it, so assumed they didn’t have it - perhaps more charitable than thinking she just couldn’t be bothered.

Norah Sun 24-May-20 19:35:25

Dijon is made with French seeds and wine vinegar, flavour is not as brown mustard.

silverlining48 Sun 24-May-20 19:42:37

I much prefer French or German mustard to English which I find is too sharp.

MayBee70 Sun 24-May-20 20:08:27

I love French mustard on cheese on toast.

Ellianne Sun 24-May-20 20:27:48

I like the Maille Dijon mustard à l'ancienne. Very tasty.

May7 Sun 24-May-20 23:25:32

French mustard the dark brown one is the basis for Steak Diane sauce mmmm