Gransnet forums

Food

Revolting breakfasts

(86 Posts)
Teetime Thu 28-May-20 10:09:27

I have just watched DH toast a fruited teacake and spread one side with marmite and one with honey. I thought it was bad enough on his avocado squashed up with Worcester sauce days.
Anyone else watching a revolting breakfast?

jaylucy Fri 29-May-20 11:25:12

I did once have Bran Flakes with apricots in syrup plus milk for breakfast - in the post natal ward of the hospital - no cornflakes on the menu that day and made the Bran Flakes just about edible!!

PennyWhistle Fri 29-May-20 11:17:58

When working in Argentina, breakfast in the international hotel was an eye opener. I selected the usual toast, cereal and some fruit most mornings. But the international selection included curry, chinese soup, curried eggs, pizza, cakes and many things I was unable to identify! Thankfully it was serve yourself, so easy to avoid items not suited to my sensitivities smile

Willow10 Fri 29-May-20 11:11:06

On an overnight flight back from America, I hadn't slept a wink for 24 hours. Tired and feeling really unwell, I was so thankful to see the breakfast trolley coming towards me. The smell of coffee and warm croissants was lovely. Then the flight attendant dropped a small tub on my lap tray. I asked if I could have croissants and she said "No Maam, you ordered vegetarian!' The tub contained apple puree. confused I wanted to tip it over her head!

Farawaynanny Fri 29-May-20 11:05:03

Avocados served any way at all are my nightmare breakfast. In fact, a nightmare at any time. I’ve tried hard to like them as they seem to be served with everything these days but the slimy texture makes me heave! ?

angiestivy Fri 29-May-20 10:50:21

I love marmite & mashed banana on toast, sweet & savoury tastes together do it for me.

cupcake1 Fri 29-May-20 10:43:35

My DH was ‘conned’ by the waiter in Sri Lanka to eat their national curry dish for breakfast and in the middle was a raw egg! It was yuk, he should have declined like me, he hates curries anyway but the raw egg did it! He was ill for two days!! ?

Teetime Fri 29-May-20 10:36:34

Oh could he be pregnant- no we have maintained a strict 2 metres apart at all times - although when he goes off walking by the river who knows!!!

Boolya Fri 29-May-20 10:34:17

A bowl of semolina with a puddle of melted margarine in the middle in Kazakhstan. It filled a gap but wasn’t appetising.

Aepgirl Fri 29-May-20 10:22:29

Could he be pregnant, TeaTime?

Audun Fri 29-May-20 10:20:57

I was staying in a B and B and was given a runny poached egg. Just couldn’t eat it, so when my kind landlady had left the dining-room I wrapped it in my paper napkin, pocketed it, and managed to dispose of it in the bin in the street, all the time worrying it would disintegrate...in my pocket, on the way to the meeting... can’t eat runny eggs, ever.

Lupin Fri 29-May-20 10:04:47

Another vote for an avocado breakfast. I like them mashed up, and spread with some mayonnaise on toast, and topped with tomatoes. Then a little sweet chilli sauce. Hadn't thought of trying Worcestershire sauce. I will give it a go.
When I was a child anything smoked turned my stomach, and the thought of a runny egg on any of it makes me nauseous now.

readsalot Fri 29-May-20 10:02:41

Another vote for kedgeree! I had never heard of it until we made it at school. The first holiday in US may years ago, we stared at people putting fruit, sausages, bacon and waffles on the same plate and then pouring maple syrup over the lot. Each to his own.

Cindersdad Fri 29-May-20 09:58:40

I love Kedgeree, reheated curry and even reheated pizza for breakfast. I generally have porridge or other cereal with fruit but see nothing wrong with eating yesterday's left overs for breakfast.

Teetime Fri 29-May-20 09:57:49

Thank you for all these great responses its made remember my father when mother was having the vapours and staying in bed and he got his own breakfast would eat anything left over in the fridge. I have seen him have cold Yorkshire pudding spread with jam, cold fish finger sandwiches cold anything really between two slices of bread. DH quite likes a bowl of cold custard so if we are having custard the night before at dinner I make twice the amount.

clareken Fri 29-May-20 09:43:37

This morning I have had porridge, prepared last night. I add sultanas and cranberries so that they absorb some of the milk/water, and plump up. Then just cooked in the morning, and drizzled with a little golden syrup. My DH likes lightly cooked fried eggs, which he smashes onto a slice of bread. Not a problem now, but when I was pregnant with my 2 DDs, it used to make my stomach heave.

Caro57 Fri 29-May-20 09:34:12

Like Maggiemaybe we often had cold curry for breakfast in SL - lovely. Only surpassed by Hoppers by Egg Hoppers!!

Lucca Fri 29-May-20 09:20:02

Smashed avo with sweet chilli jam on sourdough toast topped with crispy bacon
American pancakes with Greek yoghurt and blueberries.
Oh sorry those are favourites not revolting ones.

I don’t understand salad for breakfast

Theoddbird Fri 29-May-20 09:07:56

Well...can't be revolting as he was eating it. Is personal taste...not something that is revolting....

Moggycuddler Fri 29-May-20 09:06:52

My uncle used to eat tripe for breakfast, cold with brown sauce.

SueEH Fri 29-May-20 09:04:05

I think that many countries don't differentiate between "any" food and "breakfast" food! Hence the advertising revenue raised in those countries that do smile Personally I don't eat breakfast as such and prefer brunch.... and my favourite is baked sweet potato with smashed avocado and a poached egg and chilli flakes on top.

Whingingmom Thu 28-May-20 23:29:54

Two things I could not face are Chinese congee (rice porridge) with the traditional added fish. And runny egg of any description - the slightest wobble of the white and my stomach churns.

Callistemon Thu 28-May-20 23:20:07

That's our Boxing Day lunch.
My brother used to eat the Christmas trifle for breakfast.

My BIL and SIL once ate the leftover vindaloo curry for breakfast when they came to stay. I couldn't eat it the night before!

Maggiemaybe Thu 28-May-20 22:38:51

Our Boxing Day breakfast is a fry-up of all the Christmas dinner leftovers, the meats, veg, potatoes (plenty of mash), sauces, Durham salad, chopped up Yorkshires, etc. Heart attack on a plate, but so good. We have the trifle at tea-time.

Nannytrace Thu 28-May-20 22:08:26

We had a polish housemate who used to eat plain cottage cheese with frozen peas for breakfast. He used to eat it cold.

Nortsat Thu 28-May-20 21:42:33

Lovely anecdote Framilode
... crunchy ...