Gransnet forums

Food

Recipes - please can you help?

(29 Posts)
TwinLolly Sat 06-Jun-20 17:39:09

Years ago I copied down my mum's handwritten book of recipes but unfortunately my recipe box went missing during a move. angry

My younger sister has kept our late mum's book but unfortunately quite a few recipes are missing as the book, after many years, has fallen apart with age.

I am looking for these recipes, if anyone can help me:

1. Lemon curd
2. Vishyssois
3. Garlic soup
4. Mushroom soup
5. Butternut or pumpkin soup using nutmeg (my mum had a great South African recipe for this!, but alas ....)
6. Chicken Stroganoff
7. Chicken a la King

Your help will be much appreciated. I know I can perhaps find recipes on the internet but I prefer to use tried, tested and trusted family recipes!

Thanks again. xx

TwinLolly Mon 08-Jun-20 09:32:10

glenfinnan and Rosiebee thanks for that!

Purplepoppies Mon 08-Jun-20 10:02:28

I use this basic recipe for chicken ala king and play around with it.
I skin the peppers (I find the skin unpalatable) and use either chicken or turkey. I poach the meat in the stock. Extra flavour.
The book is quite old, a Dairy cookbook that you could buy from the milkman! My mum's stepfather was a milkman, this was one of her mums. It has been well used over the years ?

TwinLolly Mon 08-Jun-20 10:24:06

Purplepoppies Yummy - thanks for that recipe. Sounds similar to mum's recipe, with the grog and cream. Guess what we are having for dinner tonight at this rate! flowers wine