Gransnet forums

Food

Christmas pudding - how long to cook?

(34 Posts)
TwinLolly Sat 06-Jun-20 17:46:00

I've got my nana's recipe for Christmas pudding (which in essence is a heavy fruit cake.

However, I don't know how long to cook it in a double boiler.

I remember that the uncooked pudding was covered with wax paper and tied with string then left to boil in a double boiler. (Later on is was turned out, a bit of brandy was poured over it and it was lit.)

Can anyone advise me how long I should cook the pudding for, more or less-ish.

Here are the ingredients to give you an idea of the possible size of the pudding:
¼ lb raisins
¼ lb sultanas
¾ lb currants
¼ lb mixed peel
¼ lb beef suet (skinned & chopped)
¼ lb brown sugar
2 cups self raising flour
2 eggs
2 cup breadcrumbs
1 oz shelled almonds
2 tsp mixed spice
Chopped prunes/dates (optional)
Grated carrot
Rind & juice 1 lemon
1 cup brandy

But cooking time in a double boiler? hmm

Your thoughts are appreciated. thanks

Evoha16 Sun 07-Jun-20 19:18:16

John Dory I hope ??

Callistemon Sun 07-Jun-20 20:28:11

I'm wonderin which dry white, Charleygirl?

That sounds rather splendid.

Cherrytree59 Mon 08-Jun-20 00:45:49

Twinlolly thank you so much for your doughnuts without yeast recipe.?

Years ago I would often make non yeast doughnuts ( for the office or school fetes etc ) to a recipe given to me by my great aunt.

Healthy eating and diets put paid to the doughnuts.

Unfortunately after such a long time, I can no longer remember the ingredients and quantities required to make the doughnuts.

The method is the same as yours OP, except that I would make a hole in the doughnuts before frying with a floured finger and would spin the doughball gently round iyswim.
After frying dip in sugar or icing sugar.

When my great aunt died, I asked if I could see her hand written recipes, but alas they had been chucked on the binsad

I agree with other posters who have suggested using the slow cooker to cook your 'C' pud

Charleygirl5 Mon 08-Jun-20 07:54:47

Callistemon I really do not mind- I am fond of red but it really does not "go" with a fish dish and I loathe rose. Cannot get the accent on this machine but you know what I mean!

A bottle of dry white lasts me around 3 days so I do not think the AA is waiting in the wings because I only open a bottle every 2-3 weeks.

lemongrove Mon 08-Jun-20 08:56:41

Charleygirl ?
I usually have to cater for nine people on Christmas Day, which a few years ago I did with relative ease, but nowadays am finding it a strain.Last year DH was ill, so we didn’t have Christmas really, the next one I think that having lots of family around indoors could be ruled out by this virus.Then I may never go back to a busy Christmas Day again, and the thought suits me just fine.

Charleygirl5 Mon 08-Jun-20 09:06:53

lemongrove I think that family do not give a thought to your age and capabilities- I never did when I was 50 years younger!

I would make the virus work in your favour and have a quiet, relaxed Christmas cooking exactly what you want and eating when you want.

lemongrove Mon 08-Jun-20 09:21:06

Sounds good to me.grin

TwinLolly Mon 08-Jun-20 09:37:49

Cherrytree59 Here is a pizza base without yeast, if you are interested:

Pizza base (half this is enough for a base though because it makes as lot)
225 g self raising flour
3 ml salt
50 g butter
250 ml milk

Method
1.Sift flour, salt & rub in butter.
2.Add milk & mix to soft dough.
3.Roll out in circle, 200/225mm diameter.
4.Place on buttered baking sheet.
5.Add topping of choice.

Oven: 220°F
Time: 20 mins

For Pilchard Pizza use the scone base and use these ingredients:

Topping
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
3 rashers bacon, chopped
4 spring onions
30ml capers
1×425 g tin pilchards
15 ml mixed herbs

Add tomatoes, bacon, spring onions & capers on top.
Add pilchards & top with grated cheese & herbs.

Oven: 220°F
Time: 20 mins