Gransnet forums

Food

sinking ginger

(12 Posts)
Callistemon Tue 09-Jun-20 19:34:15

My mum used to make wonderful ginger cakes but she never put oats or ginger pieces in them.

I may have to make one tomorrow after reading this thread.

EllanVannin Tue 09-Jun-20 18:19:57

It should be cut up into small pieces or like glace cherries, it'll sink.

Fennel Tue 09-Jun-20 17:33:56

I would think you need to make the batter thicker if you're going to add solid ingredients. As with any rich fruit cake.
I made ginger parkin the other day, only with powdered ginger, and the batter was quite fluid. So added some more oats and it came out ok. Except it did seem to sink a bit in the middle like yours, Auntieflo.
Maybe it's all the syrup and black treacle.
Long baking time in a cool oven, as with xmas cake.

Auntieflo Tue 09-Jun-20 17:17:16

When I had just two children at home, I made a Ginger cake, that sank in the middle.
The children loved it, with custard, and often would ask for Ginger Disaster Cake.
I wonder what it is about Ginger Cakes?
I now want to make one.

Grannyjacq1 Mon 08-Jun-20 19:30:14

Thanks for all your suggestions - will give it a try! And I love the idea of the upside down cake!

Allegretto Mon 08-Jun-20 17:53:32

I have often added a tablespoon of ginger jam to my ginger cake mixture. It works really well.

annsixty Mon 08-Jun-20 17:10:29

I have only made with crystallised ginger, the sugar one, not the syrup, as the OP did.
I don’t wash the coating off and it is always fine.
Flour works with glacé cherries so try it with the ginger.

toscalily Mon 08-Jun-20 16:46:31

I would suggest using some of the flour in the recipe to coat the ginger before adding to the mix, usually works for me. I have never washed the ginger first, just drained as much of the syrup off as possible as I think washing would make it wet and more likely to sink. If it does sink just turn the cake over and tell everyone that it is the topping as in an upside down cake grin

Callistemon Mon 08-Jun-20 16:44:53

I only made it once although it was very good but I don't remember washing the ginger, just chopped it a bit smaller and most of the syrup drained off it.

grannylyn65 Mon 08-Jun-20 16:20:45

Ginger is the devils food !!!!

Rosepaul Mon 08-Jun-20 16:13:29

You could always try rolling it in flour before adding to the mixture, helps to dry it out and stop it sinking. Works with chocolate chips and sultanas but never tried it with ginger.

Grannyjacq1 Mon 08-Jun-20 15:56:03

I made a sticky ginger cake, and the crystallised ginger which I put in it (washed of its sugary coating) sunk to the bottom. The ginger was my own addition - not in recipe. It tasted great - but any tips for preventing the ginger from sinking?