Gransnet forums

Food

Comfort Food

(56 Posts)
GranOf4Monkeys Tue 09-Jun-20 09:39:17

Out of curiosity, what is your favourite comfort food?

Riverwalk Tue 09-Jun-20 13:16:54

Cheese on toast - smear of mustard, strong cheddar and dash of Lea & Perrins.

I've had this twice in the last week - no wonder I've put on 4lbs over Lockdown, eating so much bread and pasta which I usually avoid.

Ealdemodor Tue 09-Jun-20 13:18:35

If pushed, then it’s toast and Marmite.
But, maybe I’m odd, but I don’t really get this comfort food thing.
My comfort items are tv and books. If I’m having a duff day, it’s the thought of getting back into a good book, or looking forward to a favourite tv show that keeps me going.

lemsip Tue 09-Jun-20 13:21:25

I'm with the cadburys fruit and nut chocolate comment. my favourite treat!
when poorly as a small child my mother gave me bread and milk!

Charleygirl5 Tue 09-Jun-20 14:14:28

Could somebody tell me what clapshot is, please? I have never heard of it.

I also love bars not boxes of chocolate but with a lovely cup of coffee and preferably watching something decent on TV. I also adore a box of Maltesers- totally yummy.

If it had to be something savoury it would be two boiled eggs with chips. I am not a fan of milk.

Rosalyn69 Tue 09-Jun-20 14:43:20

Ice cream.

grannylyn65 Tue 09-Jun-20 14:49:43

Boiled eggs ( known as ‘top eggy’ )

shysal Tue 09-Jun-20 14:53:14

Anything involving cheese, eggs and bread!

EllanVannin Tue 09-Jun-20 15:08:56

Mashed/creamed potatoes, baked beans and a couple of decent fat sausages.

jacq10 Tue 09-Jun-20 15:12:30

Charleygirl5 - clapshot is mashed potato and swede mashed together with plenty butter.

PinkCakes Tue 09-Jun-20 17:44:28

Cake, of course smile. The only cakes I don't like are Battenberg, Eccles cakes and rich fruit cake.

Blinko Tue 09-Jun-20 18:20:30

PinkCakes I'll have those, then...

Charleygirl5 Tue 09-Jun-20 18:23:15

Thanks jacq10

Aldom Tue 09-Jun-20 19:14:12

Calendargirl years ago bread and milk was eaten regularly in Yorkshire. Possibly it still is for all I know. My father loved it and asked for it when he was dying
. Real 'comfort food'.

Witzend Tue 09-Jun-20 19:17:18

Pasta boiled in chicken stock, some of the liquid retained so its more like pasta soup, loads of good strong grated Cheddar on top.

My homemade version of junk food (curry flavour Super Noodles) - egg noodles cooked in chicken stock with plenty of curry powder added.

A big baked potato mashed up with salt, pepper and butter and lots of grated cheese.

Cheese on toast with onion and lots of Lea and Perrins.

Luckylegs Tue 09-Jun-20 19:23:54

My mum was from Yorkshire and called bread and milk as described ‘pobs’ and it was apparently for sick beds. Can’t imagine it myself!

Aldom Tue 09-Jun-20 20:22:56

Luckylegs Yes, I remember bread and milk was called Pobs in my family. You are right it was given to folk who were ill. As I said in my post my father asked for it when he was dying. Probably had it in his childhood.

ladymuck Tue 09-Jun-20 20:26:41

Hot chocolate and digestive biscuits spread with honey.

dragonfly46 Tue 09-Jun-20 22:27:49

Cheese, cheese and cheese!

Oopsminty Tue 09-Jun-20 22:31:53

ladymuck

Hot chocolate and digestive biscuits spread with honey.

Not tried that!

I love steak, kidney and dumplings

My Grandma used to make it when I stayed the night every weekend.

I make it myself and it's good ... not quite as good as Grandma's though!

Blondiescot Wed 10-Jun-20 16:23:56

Toast and Marmite - or toasted cheese with Marmite, or macaroni cheese!

ladymuck Wed 10-Jun-20 16:32:26

Cheese and Marmite make a good combination!

TheFrugalPiggy Wed 24-Jun-20 21:03:05

Macaroni cheese or peanut butter on toast. (Butter on the toast too).

recklessgran Wed 24-Jun-20 21:34:09

Bacon and egg sandwich. It has to be white factory bread spread with Lurpak. Grilled bacon and 2 fried eggs with runny yolks covered in lots of freshly milled black pepper.
Alternatively I second the toast and marmite previously mentioned or even a cheese and marmite toastie.
Sadly I can't eat either due to sticking to the keto way of eating to help keep my weight under control.[Underactive thyroid.]

Lexisgranny Thu 25-Jun-20 00:18:07

I knew Clapshot as Stump. Bread and milk was always a comfort food if under the weather, but I remember asking my first husband for some when I wasn’t very well, and he produced a neatly laid tray, with a bottle of milk and a slice a bread - each regarded the other as very odd.
My present favourite is a slice of fruit loaf, with ginger preserve.

Alishka Thu 02-Jul-20 10:35:45

Bread and milk was only something I'd read about in my old childhood books. Thought it sounded great, so made some. Once, just once. What's the attraction to a bowl of slops?shock Obviously I did it all wrong?
But I'm with Ealdemodor on this one. Books all the way. Easy on the Marmite.grin