Gransnet forums

Food

Comfort Food

(56 Posts)
GranOf4Monkeys Tue 09-Jun-20 09:39:17

Out of curiosity, what is your favourite comfort food?

toscalily Thu 02-Jul-20 12:35:07

I remember as a very small child eating bread & milk, white bread cut into cubes, sprinkled with sugar with warm milk poured over it. Mainly a breakfast or supper dish, quite comforting and I certainly don't remember any fancy breakfast cereals from that time. This was when rationing was on and in the South of England so was not just something from Yorkshire. I notice no one has listed things like smoked salmon, pate or steak, it's very heavy on the potatoes and cheese smile

Happygirl79 Sun 05-Jul-20 10:04:38

Cream of tomato soup with a cheese toastie on the side

Nortsat Mon 06-Jul-20 09:53:13

Ham and cheese toastie, with a smear of whole grain mustard and a packet of cheese and onion crisps.
If it’s supper time a glass of cold, dry white wine, too.

I agree toscalily, the prevalence of bread and cheese is interesting.

TerriBull Mon 06-Jul-20 10:12:04

Bread
Cake
Cheese
Chocolate (rarely have it in the house though)

Stuff like that bad! bad! bad!

Although a comfort meal would be good old roast chicken quite possibly with a glass or two of these wine either red or white will do.

I'd like to include mung beans, goji berries and carrot batons among my culinary comforts, but...……..well look what happened to Pinocchio sad

Witzend Mon 06-Jul-20 10:17:56

grin Terribull!

At the moment I’m trying to keep off bread since lately it seems to blow me up like a balloon (could be just the heavily seeded brown we buy) so I’m craving lovely fresh bread with lots of (salted) butter.