Gransnet forums

Food

Banana bread

(38 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Thu 09-Jul-20 17:36:36

It would appear that the whole world has spent lockdown successfully making banana bread. Except me. I have made four different ones with various levels of failure. I have just got the latest one out of the oven and it is all burnt on top!!. I will be so glad when lockdown is over, then I can stop pretending I am Mary Berry and go back to being Mr Kipling!!

Puzzler61 Sat 11-Jul-20 10:20:13

Ooh that sounds an interesting one shysal. A kind gn poster has given me her recipe too.
I’m ripening off some bananas ready - and I also need to buy baking powder which is one of those “highly sought after” items since COVID-19.
Then I’ll join the Banana Loaf Cake Bakers ?

MayBee70 Sat 11-Jul-20 10:59:53

I’ll try that one, too. My hands get very painful from mixing the eggs, sugar and butter. It took me ages to realise a potato masher was the way to mash the bananas: I’d been using a fork which, again, really hurt my hands.

Iam64 Sat 11-Jul-20 18:58:08

shysal, I shall have a go at that one, thanks.

Chewbacca -thank you so very very much. I will hang on in there. We had an exciting visit this afternoon, it didn't involve nana bread but, I'd shopped on the evil empire and bought a tutu for 2 year old girl and a Gryffindor t shirt for the five year old. We called and did a distanced from the door step visit. It ws an absolute joy. Both delighted with their gifts and instantly put them on. Ms Tutu wore hers with her favourite wellibobs. Mr Gryffindor was beside himself as only five year old boys can be, leaping in the air and cheering.
Total total joy.

Puzzler61 Fri 17-Jul-20 12:11:19

Good morning, I finally got around to baking a banana loaf, using jdga’s recipe and am really proud of my Loaf.
You can’t go wrong. Thank you.
Here are photo’s - and it smells wonderful! ?‍?

DiscoGran Fri 17-Jul-20 14:04:01

I haven't made banana bread as neither of us is that much of a banana lover. However, I have made a couple of Delia recipe fruitcakes that I usually don't bother with outside of the festive season. Extremely easy recipe involving a jar of mincemeat. Delicious!

Puzzler61 Fri 17-Jul-20 17:17:45

I’ll be trying that recipe next DiscoGran, we love a slice of fruit cake. Is it suitable for a loaf tin or did you make a round cake?

Callistemon Fri 17-Jul-20 17:25:28

shysal

Have you tried the BBC Food easiest ever banana cake recipe? I like it because there is no rubbing or creaming of butter, it uses oil instead. It makes a lovely moist loaf, even better spread with butter.
www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/easiest_ever_banana_cake_42108

That's the one I used too, adding sultanas or raisins.

My banana bread was only fit for the birds until I tried that recipe.
I'm trying not to eat cake.

Puzzler61 Fri 17-Jul-20 17:33:01

It has only 75 gms butter in the banana bread, and I reduced the sugar to 125 gms. That was my nod to making it healthier Callistemon.
I’ve eaten 2 slices and it’s soft, moist and yummy ?

Callistemon Fri 17-Jul-20 17:42:29

Shush!!

DH ate all the last one and didn't put on any weight.

Iam64 Fri 17-Jul-20 19:08:30

I've just made another banana bread, then forgotten to take it out the oven so its 10 minutes over cooked. I blame gransnet. I don't know if this constitutes a thread about a thread but I was working my way through the various updates since I looked this morning.

Puzzler61 Fri 17-Jul-20 19:18:00

Aww w ..... don’t you hate it when that happens?
Hope you can still eat it Iam64?

annep1 Sat 18-Jul-20 00:19:34

I too use the BBC recipe. So easy and is delicious.