Gransnet forums

Food

Full English anyone?

(111 Posts)
Puzzler61 Tue 28-Jul-20 07:23:27

DH asked did I want anything before he left for Golf. I immediately thought “bacon, sausages, mushrooms, tomatoes, hash browns, scrambled egg, and fried potato slices”.
I won’t have that for breakfast, but I do really fancy it sometimes.
I can almost smell it cooking! ? ?

What’s your usual breakfast?
What would you love to have?

Witzend Mon 03-Aug-20 08:58:46

When in Ireland for a wedding not long ago we learned that a full Irish includes black and white pudding. It did where we were staying, anyway.
Not a fan of either so I declined those, but the rest was delish!

lemongrove Thu 30-Jul-20 20:49:47

Just to add....I know it’s not strictly a ‘full’ English, but we don’t want mushrooms, sausages or beans with it, so it’s our version of it.If we have room, we have marmalade toast afterwards.blush

lemongrove Thu 30-Jul-20 20:47:52

We have a full English breakfast every Sunday morning.....I look forward to it all week, especially as Lord Lemongrove is the one who cooks it ( brilliantly too.)?
It consists of lean unsmoked bacon, 2 fried eggs and fried tomatoes with buttered toast, orange juice and coffee.

Witzend Thu 30-Jul-20 20:26:54

My ‘breakfast’ usually consists of about 3 cups of coffee - I’m never hungry first thing, but will usually have e.g, an egg on toast or some fried halloumi around 10.30 or 11.

However I really enjoy a late full English (more of a brunch really) if we have guests or are in a hotel. If making it myself I usually bake some potatoes the night before, then slice and fry them. My FE has to include mushrooms and tomatoes - you can keep the black pudding though!

Puzzler61 Wed 29-Jul-20 09:17:27

My sister makes marmalade that is way too delicious to be on any health food list - I think it’s the amount of sugar that’s in the recipe!

travelsafar Wed 29-Jul-20 08:23:48

Fresh fruit with thick greek yog and some chopped walnuts on top. I would love to have toast but then.... i would have to have butter...... lots of it, and marmalade. So i dont even go there anymore.

Puzzler61 Wed 29-Jul-20 08:17:19

Kim I revel in family “rituals” which combine a visit from loved ones, catching up with news and the sharing of food which you all find yummy.
We enjoy it as it doesn’t happen so often now they are grown and have left home.
Eating together is very gratifying, it’s a treat to be looked forward to and enjoyed. ?

Kim19 Wed 29-Jul-20 07:04:21

I'm slow to reach the kitchen so.... brunch would be more accurate. However, same every day and I love it. Start with large mug of chopped fresh lemon pieces, ginger, honey and water, heated then sieved. Bliss. Next is a finger brioche containing fresh chopped garlic. Mmmm... Five prunes, five walnut halves and a small yoghurt with chia seeds rounds this all off. I'll have a dreamy milky coffee about half an hour later. Used to think 'same old' was somewhat boring. Not this concoction. Wow. All stumbled upon and a gradual compilation but oh so enjoyable. Have a full fry-up every four months or so when my elder son comes to stay for a few days. Neither of us has this at any other time so it has turned into our personal daft wee ritual. Nice......

crazyH Wed 29-Jul-20 01:11:16

I don't usually have breakfast, just a coffee and maybe a slice of toast. If I happen to go to Asda or Tesco around lunchtime, I'll have a nice brunch there, read the papers, which someone has usually left in the cafe and thus gain the energy to go round the aisles?

vegansrock Wed 29-Jul-20 01:01:35

Vegan breakfast of porridge made with almond milk with berries, melon, apples, mango or whatever fruit is in the bowl, alpro yoghurt and chia seeds, green tea and orange juice. Occasional cooked breakfast would be toast, avocados, maybe mushrooms and tomatoes, even more occasionally beans. I couldn’t eat anything that had a face

twiglet77 Tue 28-Jul-20 23:44:41

I rotate between Alpen, Weetabix, porridge (in winter), toast and marmalade, scrambled eggs on toast, or bacon, fried tomato, mushrooms and egg on toast. One day a week I go to work for the morning instead of the evening and then I just make a smoothie with greek yogurt, banana and peanut butter, with a handful of porridge oats. I love a cooked breakfast but twice a week is enough, and it will be a late one, more of a brunch. Instant coffee with milk and one sugar.

Shizam Tue 28-Jul-20 23:22:20

Boiled eggs, brown sourdough toast, Irish butter on top. And loose leaf tea from a pot. Very important in a bone china cup! I’m getting quirky as I age.

4allweknow Tue 28-Jul-20 23:14:36

Scrambled eggs with a little chopped up smoked salmon. Or, own made up muesli.

Phoebes Tue 28-Jul-20 16:51:06

We are creatures of habit! Day 1 we have omelette, in my case with cheese and tomatoes and a slice of toast and half a banana, with a cup of herb tea. Day 2 we have porridge, in my case made with soya milk and half a sliced banana with a squirt of runny honey and sunflower and pumpkin seeds on top, again with a cup of herb tea. We really enjoy our breakfasts!

lizzypopbottle Tue 28-Jul-20 16:42:14

Evie64 crunchy peanut butter on toast is an excellent way to start the day!

Puzzler61 Tue 28-Jul-20 16:34:00

Sorry Evie64 , the aga has gone cool now . ?
Next time do come and join us - we even had Kippers from Feelingmyage.

(The finest of fish in my opinion, with a little thin slice of brown bread and butter)

sodapop Tue 28-Jul-20 16:25:19

I love my bacon cremated as well HurdyGurdy drives my husband mad.smile

Evie64 Tue 28-Jul-20 16:08:21

Puzzler, I've only just read this post. I've missed the breakfast!sad Had toast with peanut butter....... poor substitute sad

Blossoming Tue 28-Jul-20 15:38:17

Usual: Porridge with cranberries and flaked almonds, except for Sundays when it’s a bacon butty. I couldn’t eat a ‘full English’, too much food in one go for me.

HurdyGurdy Tue 28-Jul-20 15:37:46

My favourite breakfast, but so unhealthy, it's a treat, is very crispy unsmoked streaky bacon in a very soft white bap spread with Lurpak and plenty of fresh ground black pepper.

My husband tells me I don't cook bacon, but cremate it

Glimble Tue 28-Jul-20 14:32:30

I often have a bacon sandwich or eggs (scrambled, boiled or poached). I do like the full English occasionally, especially if someone else is cooking it.

LuckyFour Tue 28-Jul-20 14:14:14

I have a small bowl of cereal with fruit. I'd like a much bigger bowl of cereal with fruit. Trying to avoid putting weight on. At present under 10 stone but don't want to go over.

tidyskatemum Tue 28-Jul-20 13:49:06

The mere thought of lorne sausage makes me shudder! On the other hand, Scottish black pudding is so much nicer than the Lancashire stuff with lumps of fat in it. Add some smoked Ayrshire bacon, a proper sausage, a couple of grilled mushrooms, granary toast and marmalade and coffee and you’ve got me! Only happens when we’re in a hotel, though......

eazybee Tue 28-Jul-20 13:40:02

Had breakfast this morning in a view point car park: croissant and coffee. Most years go out early (6 oclock-ish) on a fine summer morning to a beauty spot with a companion indulging his latent boy scout, for a full English cooked on a camping stove, once an ancient primus, but this year because of fire risk content to have uncooked, and un jammed croissants because of the wasps. Still magic.

Feelingmyage55 Tue 28-Jul-20 13:30:53

StornOway spell check jumped in