Food

A Covid free question - a round of sandwiches

(23 Posts)
Callistemon Wed 05-Aug-20 14:37:36

Oopsminty

lemongrove

This is indeed a knotty problem?
A round of sandwiches...two slices of bread with filling
A round of drinks... bought for all who are together in the group.
A round of toast? Never ‘eard of it!

Ha!

I've heard of a round of toast and drinks, but not the sandwiches!

Ditto Oopsminty!
Sorry lemongrove ?

Just call them 'a sanger'
That covers one to umpteen

"Fancy a sanger, mate?"

Jane10 Wed 05-Aug-20 14:33:31

As a slight variation is it trousers or trouser? Speedos or a Speedo? Jeans or jean pant?
My DD is contantly surprised at her SA in laws' use of the singular rather than the plural for clothing worn on the legs.

MiniMoon Wed 05-Aug-20 13:25:45

I asked my DH what he regards as a round of sandwiches. His answer; four slices of bread, filling of your choice, cut into triangles.

In my opinion he seems to want two rounds of sandwiches.

kittylester Wed 05-Aug-20 13:07:08

This is something our children always ask just to wind me up.

Tweedle24 Wed 05-Aug-20 13:00:31

Definitely two slices of bread but, must admit that, as a child, I found it difficult to get my head around that as our bread was square.

Cabbie21 Wed 05-Aug-20 12:53:11

Just had my salad lunch with no bread at all, round or square or triangular.

lemongrove Wed 05-Aug-20 12:09:07

We could toast the OP if we had a drink in our hand.?

lemongrove Wed 05-Aug-20 12:08:18

A piece/slice of toast
Oopsminty I believe it’s your round now ????

timetogo2016 Wed 05-Aug-20 12:07:41

A slice of bread in any form is one slice,a round of bread is two slices,well that`s what i was brought up to believe anyway.
A great post to give us something to ponder over.

travelsafar Wed 05-Aug-20 12:04:43

We always say a piece of toast if only one slice required.

Oopsminty Wed 05-Aug-20 12:03:16

lemongrove

Ha!

I've heard of a round of toast and drinks, but not the sandwiches!

lemongrove Wed 05-Aug-20 11:59:53

Davida1968 Wed 05-Aug-20 11:59:53

I agree with you, Seajaye.

quizqueen Wed 05-Aug-20 11:55:45

...unless you have the most delicate of appetites!

quizqueen Wed 05-Aug-20 11:54:36

A one slice of bread sandwich is surely not worth having!

Illte Wed 05-Aug-20 11:50:09

Well now, off track but interesting ?sandwich information following on from the square/triangle posts.

When I went to Antarctica? to keep us amused in the boring bits they read extracts from the diaries of Shackletons expedition.

The cook, Charles Green, said he tried to make the meals interesting and in touch with what was going on a home Xmas etc and that on boat race day he cut the sandwiches into Oxford and Cambridge.

Oxford apparently is squares and Cambridge is triangles.

There that passed a couple of minute, didn't it?

Nightsky2 Wed 05-Aug-20 11:23:22

A round of sandwiches is made with 2 slices of bread with something in between.
Personally I like mine with smoked salmon and rocket, a little lemon juice and lots of black pepper. and brown bread of course. Yum yum, might have some for lunch.

A round if toast is just one slice.

Elegran Wed 05-Aug-20 10:55:11

An excellent question, and the kind of deep philosophical pondering that Gransnet does so well.

I am with you, too. A round of sandwiches is two slices with filling, cut up however you fancy (and if you are three you can throw a tantrum if it is the wrong shape. That is frowned on in posh cafes once you are grown-up ). Made with hand-made bread, it is (more or less) round, before it is cut up and piled on a plate. A round of drinks isn't just for half the group.

25Avalon Wed 05-Aug-20 10:52:23

If you buy a pack of sandwiches from the supermarket you always get 2 in a pack although they are on top of each other rather than in a round. But we call it a round when we put them together so I agree with you Seajaye.
If you friend buys a sandwich in a cafe would she be happy just to have a half although most restaurant afternoon teas have so many quarter sandwiches amongst the scones and cakes you can’t eat it all and need a doggy bag! Happy Days!

Seajaye Wed 05-Aug-20 10:50:46

@MawB - yes I have experienced that, but not for a while! and yes I am prone to procrasinations over nothing in particularly. It started during lockdown when I had suddenly too much time on my hands and nowhere interesting to go!

MawB Wed 05-Aug-20 10:42:24

I’m with you on this!
I also always think “a round of sandwiches” sounds a bit posher than yer average M&S or Pret sarnie!

PS have you encountered the fury of a thre-year old who wanted her sandwiches cut in squares and not triangles? ??

Bluebellwould Wed 05-Aug-20 10:39:58

Yep I’ve always thought a round of sandwiches was 2 slices of bread plus filling, cut however you like. Interesting procrastinations you have got going on. ?

Seajaye Wed 05-Aug-20 10:37:18

I have been pondering recently (in the absence of any more interesting thoughts this morning) of the meaning of the above, which has been triggered by a recent misunderstanding of the phrase. I always thought a round of sandwiches was one whole sandwich made with two slices of bread and then cut in halves or quarters. However recently a friend asked for a round of sandwiches but only expected a single half sandwhich and was somewhat surprised when I made and presented one sandwich cut in half, as per my understanding.

But then I have always thought that a round of toast is only one slice, so perhaps I have misunderstood this for many years in the context of sandwich making. And then again buying a round in the pub means, in my mind, buying a drink for everyone in the same group ( or possibly the same circle?).

And I assume 'round' refers to the traditional loaf shape rather than square cut bread that produces triangles when cut in halfs or quarters on a diagonal line, or squares if cut vertically and horizontally across the centre line.

I'd be interested to know what others understand by this phrase?