Gransnet forums

Food

All you can eat

(19 Posts)
timetogo2016 Sat 29-Aug-20 16:24:56

Agree with Jaxjacky.
But i am still avoiding all eateries for safety purposes/covid19.
And the thought of touching cutlery and door handles does not appeal at all.

Nortsat Tue 25-Aug-20 08:10:26

I quite like a buffet style meal, but I tend to stick to 2 or 3 items, which work well together ... some sort of curry, a portion of rice and a vegetable dish.
I don’t like to see people with a plate piled high with a bit of everything, whether the foods compliment one another or not.

It’s the same at hotel buffet breakfasts, I prefer two or three items.

At work, for celebratory meals, birthdays, Chr***mas etc. the team would often choose a buffet style meal, then the young ones (usually the young men) enjoyed returning to the buffet for a second visit.
It was often a less expensive option too, because it was a fixed price menu.

Grannynannywanny Tue 25-Aug-20 07:53:19

grannyrebel7 I love this type of restaurant. Not for the “all you can eat” aspect but more for the chance to try different dishes. My favourite place didn’t reopen after restrictions eased and I assumed none of these buffet places would due to the self service style.
How was the restaurant you visited managing the food service? Is it still self service or are staff dishing up the food?

It does concern me that we would be at the mercy of fellow diners hygiene standards if sharing serving utensils. Also if trays of food are lying exposed. I drove past my favourite place yesterday and noticed a sign saying opening soon. I’m just wondering how they’ll manage it.

Spangler Tue 25-Aug-20 07:48:11

You are not wrong seacliff. My wife and I have been going to The States for well over forty years, the "eat as much as you like" culture over there is responsible for gluttony on a biblical scale.

We too were enjoying one of those, eat all can breakfasts, when we saw a fellow coming away from the self serve area with so much on his plate he was having to use his other hand to stop the food from spilling onto the floor. 15 minutes or so later, my wife nudged me, looking up I saw the same man with a second gargantuan helping heading towards his seat.

Recently, when I had my hip replacement, I told the surgeon, who had come to collect me for surgery, that I had done some reading on hip replacements and was shocked to discover that children were having such surgery. My surgeon replied that is the outcome when obesity goes unchecked. He added that the cost to the child is more and more surgery because artificial bone cannot grow like natural bone. Then there's the cost to the NHS, then there's the addition of an unnecessary patient on the waiting list. I was astounded, how did we ever get to this?

Esspee Tue 25-Aug-20 07:45:01

When buffets were introduced in China restaurants had to bring in a policy of weighing what was not eaten and charging the customer accordingly. It worked and customers learned moderation.

Dorsetcupcake61 Tue 25-Aug-20 07:32:18

I've never been to a solely Indian one,but sounds nice. We have an ordinary one by us which has foods from all over the world. The quality is very good. It is however quite expensive and I'd spend less just going for an ordinary meal. The idea of repeated platefuls doesnt appeal to me! We had another one that closed down . Not surprised as although looked nice it was all very similar ,lots of rice,pasta etc. A good quality one with variety is probably good if you go with a group with very different tastes. The good one by me means you could have a nice Indian,Chinese,italian,roast,etc.

Callistemon Mon 24-Aug-20 23:22:07

bugpfetts - not a good idea at the best of times! ????

buffets

Callistemon Mon 24-Aug-20 23:19:25

I love curries etc, not too hot and I suppose all you can eat means just that! If you can't eat a huge amount you don't have Tom but some people will pile their plates and then leave some which annoys me.
I don't think bugpffets are a good idea at the moment though.

An all you can eat Chinese buffet wouldn't be worth it, I don't like Chinese food except for one or two dishes which is a pity because DH does.

Maggiemaybe Mon 24-Aug-20 23:06:24

I enjoy a buffet, it gives you the chance to try a bit of everything and sometimes you find something totally new that becomes a firm favourite.

I’m surprised that buffets are still open at the moment though - table service seems a safer option.

CanadianGran Mon 24-Aug-20 22:32:15

Forgive the over use of word 'nice'...Note to self...edit before posting.

CanadianGran Mon 24-Aug-20 22:31:01

I'm not a fan of buffet dinners either. They tend to fill you up with potatoes, rice or bread and run thin on meat and veg. And I agree that these places are noisier, with people getting up and down from their seats and children running about.

But I will admit that i have had some nice buffet brunches at fancier hotels that are nice. Perhaps because they are a higher price-point the selection was nice, and normally we do not eat breakfast out so it is a treat.

lemongrove Mon 24-Aug-20 22:07:22

I agree, it’s a sickening sight.I always wonder why they do it, as with a buffet meal you can always go and get some more if you want it.I prefer hotels with table service, then you don’t see this.

Charleygirl5 Mon 24-Aug-20 22:04:31

I hate to see people piling their plates high and then leaving half of it- sheer greed.

seacliff Mon 24-Aug-20 21:59:54

I have never been to one of these in the UK, but did a couple of times in Florida for breakfast. My goodness what some people had piled on their plates. shock

My first thought about the Indian meal, was - I struggle to eat a normal Indian meal, as there are usually a couple of side dishes too. I would quite like to try a buffet once though, because I'd like to have just a taste of dishes I never tried before, and might not want to risk ordering a whole one. But the big crowds it attracts would put me off.

lemongrove Mon 24-Aug-20 21:51:45

Well....I love Indian food but Lord Lemongrove hates it, so we rarely eat any.He doesn’t mind my own version of beef or chicken curry though, as I don’t load them with spices.
I have an Indian friend who makes the best chicken curry in the world, but I only get to see her now and then.
We take it in turns to choose films to see ( Lord L even went with me last year to see the Downton film) although he went to sleep half way through.It’s give and take isn’t it?

Chewbacca Mon 24-Aug-20 20:17:43

Nah! You'd lost me at eating Indian food I'm afraid. Can't stomach curries, chillies or any spicy food so he'd have had to go on his own and then spend the night in the spare room because the smell of curry is as bad as the taste. Love Italian, French and Greek food though!

Marydoll Mon 24-Aug-20 20:14:04

I agree, Jaxjacky, marriage is about compromise and tolerance and a whole lot of other things. wink

The next time grannyrebel, you chose the venue, then you are quits! grin

Jaxjacky Mon 24-Aug-20 20:05:55

Couple of hours maybe? Didn’t physically hurt you, yes, I would do it as my DH tolerates my nuances.

grannyrebel7 Mon 24-Aug-20 19:37:48

My DH was keen to get the Eat Out to Help Out before it finishes on Wednesday. He loves Indian food so he wanted to go to a restaurant near us which is an all you can eat buffet. I reluctantly agreed to please him, but this is my idea of absolute hell! I hate the concept of all you can eat as I think it encourages obesity. These places are always noisy and full of families and kids and you can't hear yourself speak. Well I have to say it didn't disappoint and was everything I expected it to be! I couldn't wait to get out of there and didn't enjoy it one bit. To give this restaurant credit their social distancing was spot on and they even took your temperature on arrival. Food was nice but a bit too spicy for me. DH loved it though. Does anyone else do things like this to please their partner or is it me being too soft?