Gransnet forums

Food

veg pasta sauce recipe for fussy husband

(33 Posts)
Fennel Tue 08-Sep-20 12:51:40

My husband won't eat cheese, cream, tomatoes or mushrooms. No dairy.
I sometimes make make a sauce with red peppers but it's faff and takes ages + washing up.
Any ideas?
No meat but could be fish but no shellfish.

Fennel Thu 10-Sep-20 18:30:30

JackyB - that sounds good. I'll have a look on line and see if I can buy some.

JackyB Thu 10-Sep-20 16:07:48

Sorry - late to the party, but wondered if you can get ready-made avjar in the UK. Would save you the work with the red peppers.

Franbern Thu 10-Sep-20 09:01:27

felice

Roast the veg he will eat, I am with him on Mushrooms, devils food, liquidise them not too smooth, add fresh herbs and seasoning.
Freezes easily I make it to keep for Vegan friends in portions, adding the fresh herbs after it has been de-frosted and heated. Could be served over a nice piece of fish.
Dried herbs during cooking, fresh when serving, fresh herbs loose all flavour during cooking, except Tarragon, Rosemary and Bay.

felice, I was told by vegan friends that they cannot eat anything which has mushrooms in it - something to do with the compost in which they grow.

Elizabeth1 Wed 09-Sep-20 18:16:47

I had a delicious veg chilli con carne today - me a meat eater couldn’t tell the difference from the real thing. smile

Callistemon Wed 09-Sep-20 17:58:51

The birds are turning their beaks up at my gf bread. I followed the recipe exactly but it was like getting a lead weight out of the oven.

Fennel Wed 09-Sep-20 17:22:51

Thanks to all - I knew you would give some good ideas.
I made my usual with red peppers etc today and added some coconut milk before blending with hand blender. It was ok but more liquid than usual.
I'm going to try GagaJo's idea of adding lentils. That would make it more filling. and maybe aubergines.
We both like different types of pasta.
Pheonix - he used to refuse to eat potatoes too for the same reason which was very aggravating, but got over that.
He does help a lot in the kitchen - makes biscuits cakes and ice cream. Also tried bread but it was awful, rock hard. He's heavy-handed and punched all the life out of the poor dough.

Callistemon Tue 08-Sep-20 22:32:02

My son had an Italian girlfriend at one time, she would cook pasta and add herbs and a raw egg, lightly beaten, to the still hot, drained pasta and slosh olive oil on it - delicious! The egg would be "cooked" by the heat of the pasta. Black pepper of course. I used to make that for myself if DH was away. Simple, satisfying and delicious.
DH doesn't like pasta!

GagaJo Tue 08-Sep-20 21:54:29

My daughter makes a tomato and meat free pasta sauce for grandson. Onions, carrot, peppers and lentils.

Esspee Tue 08-Sep-20 21:45:12

When peppers are very cheap at the market (usually on a Sunday) I buy lots, cut them into quarters, remove the stalk, seeds etc. wash then cut them smaller and toss in olive oil seasoned with garlic, salt and pepper then pop them into the oven on a large baking tray and roast them.
I freeze them spread out on a tray in the freezer then bag them up. They make a tasty, colourful addition to lots of meals and can be popped in the blender with vegetable stock to make a lovely sauce.

PinkCakes Tue 08-Sep-20 18:57:02

I know the feeling. My husband won't eat fish, cheese (or anything with cheese in), pasta, anything with tomatoes.

He's had a ham salad tonight.

MiniMoon Tue 08-Sep-20 18:22:25

This serves four, but you could half the amounts.

1 lb tagliolini
2 tablespoons olive oil
Half small onion
5 oz smoked salmon
200 ml soya double cream.

Heat oil and cook finely chopped onion until soft but not coloured. Add half the smoked salmon roughly chopped and the cream.
Warm gently then blend until smooth.
Cut the rest of the salmon into thin strips using kitchen scissors.
Cook the pasta but be careful not to overcook.
Drain pasta and turn into a serving bowl. Add the cream and salmon sauce.
Stir to combine all the sauce, add freshly ground black pepper. Stir in the salmon strips and serve.

fevertree Tue 08-Sep-20 18:13:35

Wasn't there a popular recipe recently that was simply loads of courgettes sliced and cooked to a sauce with olive oil?

My son had an Italian girlfriend at one time, she would cook pasta and add herbs and a raw egg, lightly beaten, to the still hot, drained pasta and slosh olive oil on it - delicious! The egg would be "cooked" by the heat of the pasta. Black pepper of course.

V3ra Tue 08-Sep-20 18:07:58

Our favourite easy pasta dish is poached fish (basa or tuna fillets) flaked into cooked wholemeal pasta and stirred through with peas, sweetcorn and a jar of chilli pesto.
Quick, colourful and nutritious ?
And yes, my husband cooks it!

MiniMoon Tue 08-Sep-20 18:05:34

oh sorry, it is sideways.

MiniMoon Tue 08-Sep-20 18:04:10

This one is delicious, and contains no cheese or tomatoes.

phoenix Tue 08-Sep-20 17:51:57

Potatoes are from the same family as tomatoes and deadly nightshade, does he eat them, Fennel?

Has he always been like this, or is it quite recent?

An allergy (if true) to dairy is one thing, but thinking that eating mushrooms will give you a fungal infection, and believing that tomatoes are poisonous is quite another!

paddyanne Tue 08-Sep-20 17:49:35

just dress your hot pasta with olive oil an garlic ,if he'll take parmesan put some on but I like it with a good grind of black pepper

Fennel Tue 08-Sep-20 16:37:28

thanks for the ideas, very creative!
My husband is allergic to dairy, thinks tomatoes are poisonous as they're related to deadly nightshade and thinks because mushrooms are a fungus he will get fungus infections.
It's no good arguing with him, and he does do the washing up.

rockgran Tue 08-Sep-20 16:14:53

When we got married my husband wouldn't eat mushrooms as his mother had told him he wouldn't like them. Needless to say he loves them now!grin

Farmor15 Tue 08-Sep-20 16:07:43

That beetroot sauce sounds good. I have beetroot growing in garden and was trying to find new ideas for using.

Fennel’s husband sounds a bit like my father- no mushrooms, onions, anything fried- no wonder my mother didn’t like cooking.

Grannynannywanny Tue 08-Sep-20 13:39:31

I saw this beetroot pasta sauce cooked recently on tv and it looked delicious and quick and easy to make. It does have feta in it but if intolerant to dairy maybe it could be omitted.
thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/nadiya-hussains-blender-beetroot-pasta

Hithere Tue 08-Sep-20 13:35:19

Grannynannywanny and other posters said it: he can cook his own food, allergies or not

merlotgran Tue 08-Sep-20 13:33:17

Vegan cheese, almond milk, dairy free spread, herbs and seasoning. Heat it up and thicken with dairy free granules.

eazybee Tue 08-Sep-20 13:32:32

Honestly.
If he has allergies then I am sorry, but just read the 'won't eat,' therefore:
tell him to cook something for himself.

flump Tue 08-Sep-20 13:28:27

A couple of suggestions:- How about using oat milk for a white sauce and add onions, garlic and Italian herbs for flavour. Mix in a tin of tuna. Red or green pesto is easy (out of a jar). Do the white sauce as above and add lardons with chopped peppers. Wilted spinach is easy and also adds a bit of colour.