Gransnet forums

Food

Jars impossible to open

(95 Posts)
Gingster Tue 06-Oct-20 14:01:58

I have two brand new jars. One of jam another of chutney. Yesterday I couldn’t open the chutney. DH tried, no luck. Eventually he used the nutcrackers and got the lid off. Today I Its the jam jar. DH is out. I’ve tried and tried to get the :#@* lid off, - tapping the edge, using the rubber grip. The nutcrackers don’t go round the lid. I e even pierced a hole in the top to no avail. I don’t have any problems with my hands. I’m quite strong with no arthritis or rheumatics. For heavens sake!,, !

nipsmum Mon 09-Nov-20 10:48:52

My problem is not jar lids usually it's those childproof caps on medicine bottles. If I can't take it back to the chemist I have been known to use a hammer and large nail. It destroys the top but at least I can get into the tablets. The joke is the tablets usually come bubbled in a cardboard packet, which is certainly not childproof. It was a waste of time speaking to the pharmacy as the usual reply was it had to be childproof.

Theoddbird Mon 09-Nov-20 10:50:49

I use a spoon between lid and jar. It releases the air lock and lid comes off easily

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 09-Nov-20 10:53:59

If I don't succeed, I pass to DH!!

jaylucy Mon 09-Nov-20 11:03:59

I usually run it under the hot tap for a few minutes and then try, wearing rubber gloves.
I often have problems opening jars as I have small hands and a wrist injury means that I can't grip as strongly as I used to.

Reaps Mon 09-Nov-20 11:05:10

This is one of my regular gripes as I have problems opening all the above mentioned items and more ! Including laundry capsule boxes and the spice holder in the top of curry sauce jars. I know I do not have good upper body strength and need to try weight training to strengthen my arms but I never considered myself that pathetic until the last few years as the manufacturers have come up with more complex ways of sealing products arhhhhh

Craftycat Mon 09-Nov-20 11:14:02

I'm another rubber glove fan. Usually works if not I put
an elastic band round outside of lid & then use rubber gloves & it always works.

knspol Mon 09-Nov-20 11:19:56

We had the problem recently with a bottle of gin - how desperate were we? Had the tonic, had the lemon, no b****y gin. Tried everything, ended up taking the bottle back to the supermarket and getting an exchange - they couldn't open it either.

LuckyFour Mon 09-Nov-20 11:21:23

I have a white plastic gadget to open jars which I cannot live without. It has a lip at one end which you put under the edge of the lid then it hooks over the top. You then jerk it upwards and the lid pops, releasing the vacuum. The action is rather like taking the top off a beer bottle. You can then open the lid very easily by hand. I inherited it from Mum when she died, it must have cost pence but is invaluable. It's worth looking on the internet to see if they are still made.

Sr69 Mon 09-Nov-20 11:22:34

I do same as chelseababy, run under hot tap then use a marigold glove, success every time.

Coco51 Mon 09-Nov-20 11:23:47

Have you tried using rubber gloves? They can do the gripping which makes turning easier

Awesomegranny Mon 09-Nov-20 11:44:52

If it’s metal lids, then hot water poured on the lid always works

Annaram1 Mon 09-Nov-20 11:45:01

Charleygirl, your advice to pour boiling water around the jar is incorrect. You should only put a little boiling water on the lid. Use a rubber glove and it should come off easily. If not, stand the jar in cold water and then put the boiling water on the lid. Cold water makes the glass contract and boiling or very hot water makes the metal top expand. The appliance of science.

Newatthis Mon 09-Nov-20 12:10:04

Jars, packaging and numerous other things. I think the manufacturers want us to buy their food/items but not open them. I constantly get frustrated.

Kaggi60 Mon 09-Nov-20 12:12:42

I brought a gadget that works wonders because my gran used to use her doors for opening anything. It was on Amazon it does jar opener and bottle opener.

karinu Mon 09-Nov-20 12:14:15

I got this great gadget from a friend, works every time!

leeds22 Mon 09-Nov-20 12:24:37

I tap all round with the rolling pin, it usually works. But I do have a dented rolling pin.

NemosMum Mon 09-Nov-20 12:37:20

www.amazon.co.uk/Multi-Multifunctional-Opener-?tag=gransnetforum-21]][[Arthritis-dispatch/dp/B08GQBM6M3/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Jar+Openers&qid=1604925273&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQlZRUE5WOTBEWk9SJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDYzNTY4MkE1SzA1R0xEMElFWSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTYyOTA4M1NIWjVEVllINDNURCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU= This little implement works well for me. One trick is to turn the jar upside down and give a sharp tap on the bench or the floor - often budges it. Good luck

NemosMum Mon 09-Nov-20 12:39:53

Sorry - that link didn't work - try this instead www.amazon.co.uk/Function-Non-Slip-Designed-Stainless-Restaurant/dp/B07N2N52S5/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&crid=19IZAYJJWY0HZ&keywords=jar+opener+for+weak+hands&sprefix=jar+opener%2Caps%2C169&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1604925474&sr=8-8

TrixieB Mon 09-Nov-20 13:09:10

Try Lakeland! I have a few things from them that help to open ring pull tins and jar lids. Simple and inexpensive.

I’ve been a customer for about 30 years and their online catalogue, especially the current Christmas offering, is addictive! Great service from a family company.

JaneRn Mon 09-Nov-20 13:28:38

I have the little, very cheap, opener from Lakeland which just breaks the airlock. Works every time. I also have their gadget to open cans with ring pulls.

Now, can someone please tell me how to open a bottle of bleach. I know there are instructions, but my grip is no longer firm enough.

Foxyferret Mon 09-Nov-20 13:52:30

I don’t just tap it, I give it a few good smacks all round with a wooden spoon and you hear the seal pop. Works every time for me.

Rosina Mon 09-Nov-20 14:22:49

I have a step into my utility room where my larder is; when I get a jar out I automatically give it a brisk tap on the edge of the quarry tiled step, and there is always a small sound as the vacuum goes. OH tells me quite irritably that one day I am going to get covered in jam or cut my hand on broken glass, but so far that hasn't happened, and this system has never failed to make a lid easy to get off.

SparklyGrandma Mon 09-Nov-20 14:23:06

Put the jar lid under your hot water tap and let it run for a bit. The heat expands the metal lid, and should loosen it.

Petalpop Mon 09-Nov-20 14:33:41

When I try and open jar too large for the nutcrackers I find that running it under the hot tap works every time. Judging by previous posts I am not alone.

polnan Mon 09-Nov-20 14:38:49

I will have to come back and read all these tips.

it`s the bottle of toilet bleach that gets me, and yes, as someone said at the beginning, ask the checkout operators to open them!