Gransnet forums

Food

smoked salmon virgin ?

(73 Posts)
Bluebellwould Sun 18-Oct-20 19:21:29

I have never eaten smoked salmon, but I succumbed to a packet of smoked salmon flakes, ready to eat. What can I eat them with please. Nothing high in fat please.

Grandmafrench Sun 18-Oct-20 22:27:10

We love it torn onto a few shredded salad leaves and rocket, mixed with a few prawns and with a dressing of crème fraîche mixed with creamed horseradish (or just oil and lemon), with a good grind of black pepper. A small baked Camembert to share, and some brown bread makes a complete meal.

But we only like wild salmon - slightly darker in colour and with no trace of fat or flabbiness.

Hetty58 Sun 18-Oct-20 22:36:08

In my childhood days (before I was veggie, then vegan) I was given smoked salmon by an aunt.

I really didn't like it, although I liked plain salmon then. It's raw, not cooked and high in fat and salt.

I ate it up, to be polite, then threw up violently!

TwiceAsNice Sun 18-Oct-20 22:43:48

Adore smoked salmon it’s one of my favourite things to eat. With scrambled eggs, prawns and Marie Rose sauce, bagels and cream cheese , it’s versatile and delicious

TwiceAsNice Sun 18-Oct-20 22:44:18

And very good for you lots of Omega 3

crazyH Sun 18-Oct-20 22:45:42

Love, love, love smoked salmon....

M0nica Sun 18-Oct-20 22:47:39

Just smoked salmon and brown bread and butter, but preferably proper brown bread from a real baker, not the stuff you get in a supermarket

MayBee70 Mon 19-Oct-20 00:19:49

Oh this is cruel. I don’t have a delivery booked and am not going to any shops and I really want some smoked salmon now. I must stop thinking about it. I’ve got a tin of sardines....maybe they’ll do for now (sob).

MiniMoon Mon 19-Oct-20 00:24:14

I love a smoked salmon sandwich. Any sort of good fresh bread, butter liberally, (real butter of course), a grind or two of black pepper, and that's it.

I'm in bed now, but I want one!

Riverwalk Mon 19-Oct-20 06:58:40

Right that's breakfast sorted - smoked salmon & scrambled eggs.

Charleygirl5 Mon 19-Oct-20 08:01:36

I am like MiniMoon a sandwich is divine. Today my lunch will be smoked salmon with a light salad. I went out shopping yesterday and smoked salmon was on offer so I bought two packs.

Believe it or not I have never had it with scrambled egg.

Yearsold Mon 19-Oct-20 08:08:28

I love it on plain wholemeal toast with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkling of black pepper ?

Missfoodlove Mon 19-Oct-20 08:45:31

For a low fat treat toast some sourdough or whole meal bread, smash half an avocado spread onto the toast now add the salmon and top with a free range poached egg.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 19-Oct-20 10:01:27

In Denmark we eat it with sourdough bread and a dressing of mustard, dill and vinegar. Definitely not anything hot.

It is an apertif rather than a main course.

shysal Mon 19-Oct-20 10:09:11

I have recently started to eat it often on a low carb diet. As suggested above, scrambled egg is lovely with it and I like it with cottage cheese or added to a (crustless for me) quiche.
Mostly, when I fancy 'picking' I eat it straight from the pack.

Awesomegranny Mon 19-Oct-20 10:14:12

Black pepper, squeeze of lemon on a bed of salad taste will be lovely and low calorie, maybe glass of Prosecco to wash it down

shysal Mon 19-Oct-20 10:38:38

It makes a nice pate when whizzed up with mascapone cheese and a dash of lime juice (even better with smoked mackerel).

nipsmum Mon 19-Oct-20 10:41:01

Have a look on the Internet, there are lots of recipes to use smoked salmon. I love it.

homefarm Mon 19-Oct-20 11:18:00

I agree with HETTY 58
Raw fish Not my taste at all and like her was very sick indeed

Seefah Mon 19-Oct-20 11:29:11

A Smoked salmon sandwich with soft fresh sliced brown bread and cream cheese with black pepper, is heaven! Or with soft scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast.

LadyStardust Mon 19-Oct-20 11:38:38

Hetty59 Grandma70s I agree with you both. I'm kinda heaving a little, just reading all these posts! Bleugh!

Witzend Mon 19-Oct-20 12:31:50

It’s horrible, you really won’t like it! Just send it to me, I’ll nobly hold my nose and dispose of it for you. ?

phoenix Mon 19-Oct-20 12:34:52

Bluebellwould have you tried it yet?

trisher Mon 19-Oct-20 12:42:02

I'm with the brown bread and butter with a squeeze of lemon and a little black pepper-simple and straight forward for a ss virgin. You can do something more exotic next time!

Gilmul Mon 19-Oct-20 13:02:27

I stir fry veg and have smoked salmon alongsidesmile Really tasty and v v healthy ... until I open the biscuits afterwards smile

Jac53 Mon 19-Oct-20 13:49:06

My husband adores smoked salmon with bagels and cream cheese and a squeeze of lemon or in a sandwich on brown bread. I love it on sourdough toast with avocado or with scrambled eggs. Our grandson loves it with pasta and creme fraiche.