Gransnet forums

Food

smoked salmon virgin ?

(73 Posts)
Bluebellwould Sun 18-Oct-20 19:21:29

I have never eaten smoked salmon, but I succumbed to a packet of smoked salmon flakes, ready to eat. What can I eat them with please. Nothing high in fat please.

LynneH Mon 19-Oct-20 14:33:13

Makes a lovely pasta sauce with a little cream and dill, or creme de carcioffi

Mamma66 Mon 19-Oct-20 15:05:39

If you’re feeling extravagant; blinis and smoked salmon with a small dollop of caviar on top. To die for...

Stirred into scrambled eggs on sour dough toast also delicious.

With pasta, lightly steamed asparagus, peas and a swirl of cream - yum.

The only thing I don’t like is gravlax, which has definite Marmite properties, I loathe it, but my brother thinks it’s delicious. Not the best introduction to salmon in my book

Callistemon Mon 19-Oct-20 15:10:38

If you’re feeling extravagant; blinis and smoked salmon with a small dollop of caviar on top. To die for..
I used to belong to an art group and one of the men always brought that as his contribution to the Christmas lunch party we had each year.

Lilyflower Mon 19-Oct-20 15:16:53

Champagne, obviously.

Bellocchild Mon 19-Oct-20 15:17:14

A small smoked salmon slice is good in an egg sandwich.

Jillybird Mon 19-Oct-20 15:50:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TwinLolly Mon 19-Oct-20 17:20:01

Good for you! It's tastey and also helps with your omega 3 and vitamin D intake ~ especially during winter/dark months. Bon appetite!wink

Fennel Mon 19-Oct-20 17:31:58

It has such a strong flavour that you need to have small amounts with something bland. imo.
As well as all the ideas above you can add it, cut up small, to a mixture of fish for a fish pie

grannybuy Mon 19-Oct-20 18:55:51

I have it with tomato, beetroot and olives - low calorie - but I might add some hard boiled egg.

BBbevan Mon 19-Oct-20 19:39:31

Scrambled egg and smoked salmon are favourite for breakfast or lunch in our house. DH also likes a smoked salmon omelette. We have blinis, cream cheese, and smoked salmon and caviar for Christmas lunch very often

NoddingGanGan Mon 19-Oct-20 20:28:19

I too, like it in a quiche. Made with filo pastry, with cream cheese and dill.

annodomini Mon 19-Oct-20 21:36:50

I make a simple smoked salmon paté with low fat soft cheese whizzed with the salmon, sometimes with a touch of lemon juice and a little fennel. You can add ground black pepper but not salt. It is good on toast, crispbread or crackers.

arosebyanyothername Mon 19-Oct-20 23:40:32

I like a smoked salmon and cream cheese sandwich with a squeeze of lemon and a little black pepper.
No need for butter.

I've also made a pasta dish - strips of smoked salmon and fromage frais with a little lemon juice - very nice and easy!

mrsjonesy Tue 20-Oct-20 09:56:12

A local cafe does Eggs Royale which consists of Smoked salmon, wilted spinach, two poached eggs and Hollandaise sauce on toaster sourdough bread. Its a delicious (and very filling) start to my day and keeps me going till teatime.

Lizbethann55 Tue 20-Oct-20 16:35:13

I love smoked salmon!! As a starter or salad with prawns and melon. Or mixed into scrambled eggs. Or, like me, straight out of the fridge, on the sly, when no one is watching!!!

rowanflower0 Tue 20-Oct-20 17:07:14

Just with brown bread and butter, lemon juice and black pepper.

phoenix Tue 20-Oct-20 17:09:00

Have you tried it yet, Bluebellwould?

GrandmasueUK Mon 26-Oct-20 11:07:05

My treat recently has been smoked salmon on toasted sourdough bread with a tiny bit of dill. Perfect!

MayBee70 Mon 26-Oct-20 11:14:21

I didn’t think to have it with dill (which I tend to think of as something to use with chicken). I buy jars of lemon, dill and black pepper sauce which I add to a cream and wine sauce and use it with various pasta dishes. Mind you, I do use it with fish fingers: fish fingers probably being my favourite food in the world.

JuliaM Mon 26-Oct-20 11:57:58

Ifyoulove the flavour of Smoked Salmon, but dislike eating raw fish, then why not try Sainsbury's Taste the Difference brand chilled fresh Smoked Salmon pate? It can be found in the chilled section, and is lovely on wholemeal toast or Crispbreads. I first tried smoked salmon whilst staying over Christmas in a hotel in the Scottish Highlands. On the way home, we called in at the Speyside visitor centre, which at the time was clearing out its entire left over stock of catering size packs of smoked Salmon weighing around a kilo each for just £1, so we bought several to take home for family and friends, and packed it into our cool box and covered the packs in fresh fallen snow to keep it chilled on the journey home! Apart from the festive packaging, it was perfectly fresh and enjoyed by all for several days after we returned home!

phoenix Mon 26-Oct-20 13:26:59

I do wish Bluebellwould would come back and update all the people who replied!

Bluebellwould Tue 27-Oct-20 10:56:39

I’m sorry for not replying but you all seemed to be enjoying yourselves too much. I did add a comment on my experience in the small turkey chat but I can’t copy it over.
I thought it was horrible, like chewing on an old tyre that had gone through a fishy puddle.
I obviously have a cheap palate not like you connoisseurs who can appreciate the finer things in life. ?
Many thanks for your suggestions though.