Gransnet forums

Food

Cake tins equivalents, advice needed please

(10 Posts)
Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 19-Oct-20 17:43:13

I made a delicious new chocolate cake recipe today from a Bees of Bloomsbury cookery book. It said to use either one 10 inch diameter tin (I assume a deep tin) or two 7 inch round sandwich tins. Now that is definitely not right - I used water to check the different volumes. So I used two 8 inch round sandwich tins. The mixture cooked well except for being slightly crisp on top. Should I have used two 9 inch sandwich tins? The cake as it is, is fine, but it is such a lovely recipe that I would like to do it justice next time! I had a problem once before with recommended tin sizes and got in touch with the cookery book author. She congratulated me on getting it sorted out myself?

suziewoozie Mon 19-Oct-20 18:13:21

Good heavens - I had this very problem yesterday and found a most amazing chart which I will now find the link for.

SpringyChicken Mon 19-Oct-20 18:15:33

The base area of a round 10" tin is 78.6 square inches.
The base area of a round 7" tin is 38.5 square inches.
The base area of a round 8" tin is 50.2 square inches.

So, two 7" tins are a closer match to the 10" tin ( 2x38.5 =77) but will give a slightly taller cake when sandwiched together. You might need to make paper collars for the 7" tins in case the mixture oozes over the top.

suziewoozie Mon 19-Oct-20 18:34:19

Still looking but a 7” tin is 42% of the volume of a 10”tin. You have to adjust time and temp a bit when you use a different size tin.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 19-Oct-20 19:30:54

Thanks! If I had put the mixture in the two recommended 7 inch tins, there would have been mixture over. So I used the two 8 inch tins.

suziewoozie Mon 19-Oct-20 19:47:29

So you probably should have slightly reduced the temp/time. (Still looking)

Hetty58 Mon 19-Oct-20 20:04:43

Just work out pi (3.14) times radius squared - times depth for volume. Use the calculator on your phone or notebook.

Obviously, shallow cakes will cook faster than deeper ones. I find a lower temperature and longer cooking is better for deep cakes.

suziewoozie Mon 19-Oct-20 20:25:37

Here it is
www.simplebakesandcakes.co.uk/recipe-converter/

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 19-Oct-20 22:35:57

Thank you suzie.

suziewoozie Mon 19-Oct-20 22:38:22

You did me a favour - I’ve now saved the article for future reference - will save me buying more cake tins?