Gransnet forums

Food

Hot Chocolate at bed time, does it cause insomnia?

(30 Posts)
FarawayGran Thu 22-Oct-20 01:04:04

I was making a hot chocolate drink at bed time, and my lovely DIL who was staying with us recently said that chocolate has as much caffeine as coffee. It is a stimulant, she said. Perhaps that is why I suffer from insomnia.
I used to be given cocoa at bed time when I was a child. (but I always slept well then)
What do you think? Have I been causing my insomnia while trying to get to sleep with hot chocolate?

Alishka Thu 22-Oct-20 23:59:31

talking of Horlicks, can you still get Horlicks tablets? I used to love them.
I've never bought into the milky bedtime drink idea. Think it would probably curdle with the red wine I usually havewink Mulled wine is a great nightcapwine

Hetty58 Fri 23-Oct-20 00:07:58

I think it all depends upon your individual reaction to cocoa and caffeine.

I can drink strong coffee with no ill effects in the evening.

I've never had milky drinks, though. My lactose intolerance would mean I'd be sick.

Grannynannywanny Fri 23-Oct-20 00:17:12

I find a medicinal dose of whiskey and hot lemonade knocks me out for a few hours. I’m in bed exhausted but wide awake now and tempted to go back downstairs for one ?

FarawayGran Fri 23-Oct-20 00:22:21

Thank you all for your suggestions. I shall try experimenting some of them. I'm not a fan of hot milk, but it might be ok with a little honey. I quite like the idea of vanilla in milk, as I do love the flavour of vanilla.
Getting back out of bed is not too much of a chore as I have to clean my teeth, and try for a last pee so I won't need to get up again (hopefully) thanks flowersbrewmoon