Gransnet forums

Food

Salmon fillet recipes please?

(69 Posts)
Sophiasnana Sun 25-Oct-20 09:05:30

We are trying to eat more fish and enjoy salmon steaks/fillets. Anyone have a nice recipe for salmon in a tasty sauce? I find it little dry just grilled or baked.

chelseababy Mon 26-Oct-20 07:04:36

I've done the Mary Berry Thai salmon and used reduced fat coconut milk. It was delicious. Also love the Delia one which is topped with pesto, bread crumbs and parmesan. Both easily found online.

slightlyvixed Mon 26-Oct-20 10:03:56

Put the salmon pieces on a piece of foil, slice onions and place on top of salmon, cut cherry tomatoes in half and place around and between the salmon. Pour olive oil over the lot, then shake around a few teaspons Fajita mix (from M&S or others) on the top. Close the foil, bake in oven for around 40 minutes at 170C fan oven, opening the foil about 5 minutes before the end. Sorry, I don't do exact amounts but there's lots of leeway with this one.

frenchie Mon 26-Oct-20 10:04:47

I cook my salmon filets in microwave for 3 minutes then flake them and add them in a homemade tomato sauce with a spoonful of creme fraiche . I then add cooked spaghetti for a very tasty dinner!
I saw Jamie Oliver the other week making a sort of salmon en croute which look delicious. Must try it!

Lilyflower Mon 26-Oct-20 10:10:10

Very quick, cheap, easy and moist.

Wrap the fillets in foil and bake them in the oven on 150 degrees for 20 minutes.

Whilst they are cooking, grate a slice of bread per two salmon fillets and mix the crumbs with a heaped spoonful of green pesto into a paste.

Spead carefully onto the cooked salmon fillets (carefully as they will be crumbly) and, if you wish, add a little grated cheddar or parmesan on the top.

Place under the grill to brown for a few minutes.

Very yumsk!

EmilyHarburn Mon 26-Oct-20 10:13:02

I always serve salmon with Hellman's mayonnaise for those who want a sauce when I haven't got time to make one.

PipandFinn Mon 26-Oct-20 10:20:35

Cook some Penne then drain. Mix full fat youghurt with garlic then add some chopped sweet tomatoes. Stir the mixture into the Penne then add your cooked flaked salmon....You can also add some small florets of steamed Broccoli if you want some greens added....So simple and delicious..... Your welcome ?

rowyn Mon 26-Oct-20 10:24:14

Pesto all the way. Make your own or buy jars ( I like Sacla). daub on fillets and bake in foil. I often cook broccoli to go with it and drizzle more pesto onto that as well.

Floradora9 Mon 26-Oct-20 10:33:29

top with chopped bacon then cook in foil for 15 mins open to brown the bacon last 5 mins.
I make a mixture of bacon , breadcrumbs chopped nuts and some chopped dried apricots . Lovely on a big bit of salmon cook uncovered . This is also lovely cold.

fluttERBY123 Mon 26-Oct-20 10:36:43

Cook.in the oven in foil with a bay leaf. Eat with juice of half a lemon squeezed over and some veg. Dieter's dream.

Moggycuddler Mon 26-Oct-20 10:40:32

Bake in foil, with olive oil drizzled on top. Season well with salt and black pepper, dried dill, and plenty of lemon juice and a lot of powdered ginger. Slices of lemon on top too. I don't eat it (vegetarian) but my friend used to do this and it seemed (and smelled) very nice.

grannybuy Mon 26-Oct-20 10:40:32

Cream and pesto or mild mustard while grilling, or baking.

polnan Mon 26-Oct-20 10:40:46

oh gosh I love this thread, since dh died, I have not been content with cooking for one, though he did cook a lot of our meals, but I am finding that I like different foods to what he liked to cook..

I simply stick my salmon on foil, and pop in the oven, not a lot of cooking required, I have a halogen oven which means I don`t have to put the big oven on, told it saves electricity.

I love salmon

can I interject and ask how to cook chicken fillets? I tend to over cook my chicken, cos I do like it cooked.

just for one person, but I have just put 4 sort of legs or thighs I won`t eat them all at once! I like chicken cold also to pick on...

Glosgran Mon 26-Oct-20 10:54:00

We love this recipe and it can be served with salad or brown rice and stir fry vegetables. The marinade works for chicken, too:

realfood.tesco.com/recipes/asian-salmon-with-stir-fried-noodles.html

Nvella Mon 26-Oct-20 11:03:36

Teriyaki Salmon Parcels

5.2, Fish
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins | Servings: Serves 4

Ingredients:
2 tbsp low-salt soy sauce
1 tbsp clear honey
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tbsp mirin (optional)
a little sunflower oil
300g Tenderstem broccoli
4 x 100g salmon fillets
1 small piece of ginger, cut into matchsticks
a little sesame oil (optional)
sliced spring onions, toasted sesame seeds and cooked rice, to serve

Directions:
KIDS: The writing in bold is for you. ADULTS: The rest is for you. Make the sauce and marinade. In a small bowl, whisk together the soy, honey, garlic and mirin and set aside.
Cut out some squares of foil. Using scissors, cut out 4 squares of foil, each about 30cm square. Brush each piece of foil with a little oil and bring the edges of the foil up a little.
Fill your parcels. Place a couple of broccoli stems on each one, then sit a salmon fillet on top and scatter over the ginger.
Spoon over the sauce. Spoon the sauce over each salmon fillet and drizzle with a little sesame oil, if you like.
Close the parcels. Fold over the edges of the foil together to seal and place the parcels on a baking sheet. Can be prepared up to 1 day ahead.
Cook the parcels. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Get your child to place the parcels in the oven for 15-20 mins, but ensure an adult removes them, then leave to stand for a few mins. Serve each parcel on a plate and let each person open it themselves. Serve with spring onions and sesame seeds for scattering over, and some rice on the side.

Nutrition:
Calories: 243
Total Carbohydrates: 8g
Total Fat: 12g
Dietary fiber: 3g
Protein: 24g
Saturated fat: 2g
Sodium: 1g
Sugar: 7g

Source: www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/teriyaki-salmon-parcels

I have this a lot with some tilda flavoured rice

AuntieDote Mon 26-Oct-20 11:04:00

I just pop a piece into a micorwave bag and zap it for a minue - delicious with whatever else you fancy !!!!!

Granless Mon 26-Oct-20 11:10:37

Quick and easy is to buy Maggi Lemon & Dill for salmon. Just put your salmon in the paper and cook in fry pan - no mess - certainly not much effort.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 26-Oct-20 11:13:33

Have you tried baking the salmon wrapped either in foil or greaseproof paper? Either should prevent dryness. And turn the oven down a few degrees, or alternately bake the fish for five minutes less.

Sauce hollandaise every time!

Paperbackwriter Mon 26-Oct-20 11:28:15

Rick Stein has a great recipe for salmon with tomato butter. Very simple (you'll have to google, I'm 300 miles from the recipe at the moment) and wonderful served on a bit of wilted spinach.

Lollypolly Mon 26-Oct-20 11:35:41

There are 2 recipes I use, one is sesame ginger salmon by Damn delicious. The other is one I adapted from Nick Nairn. Fry onions garlic and chilli in nice olive oil, then add lots of cherry tomatoes and some fresh basil and seasoning to make a spicy tomato sauce. I slice salmon filet through the sauce until just cooked and serve with fresh pasta, linguine works well.

pen50 Mon 26-Oct-20 11:43:12

I make a vegetable curry and steam the fish on top under a lid for 10-15 minutes.

Mal44 Mon 26-Oct-20 11:48:47

Wonderful recipes thank you.I will now be more adventurous with my salmon!

Grandmabeach Mon 26-Oct-20 12:26:26

A very quick recipe is to cover salmon with a layer of breadcrumbs, lemon and pepper (available in tubs from Sainsburys or Waitrose). Cook in foil for 20 minutes. Very moist and tasty.

GrammaH Mon 26-Oct-20 12:47:11

My current favourite is from one of the Hairy Bikers diet books. The fillets are marinaded in a mix of chopped stem ginger from a jar with some of the syrup, soy sauce, sliced garlic & juice of one orange. After they've had an hour or so, pop the fillets in the oven for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, boil the marinade to reduce slightly & pour it over the cooked salmon. It's delicious & so easy.

Vintagegirl Mon 26-Oct-20 12:52:17

I bake fillets in foil, loosely wrapped. They can be from freezer so adjust time or open wrap a bit for last 5 mins.

I also like a marinade of soya/garlic/fresh ginger and can pan fry.

I also like to get a tail piece and simmer gently in salted water. Into boiling water, lid on and turn off heat and leave to cook on. Works on electric best.

Thai chilli sauce is nice to drizzle over to serve or a nice garlic mayo maybe fresh herbs chopped thru.

Tedd1 Mon 26-Oct-20 13:07:17

Spread fillets with pesto, top with pine nuts and pop in oven........... delicious!!