Gransnet forums

Food

Will small frozen turkeys be in short supply this year?

(81 Posts)
merlotgran Mon 26-Oct-20 11:53:13

We've just had our weekly Tesco delivery. I ordered a small 3kg frozen turkey as there will only be two of us this year and I'm buying things for the freezer gradually rather than worry about delivery slots closer to Christmas.

They were out of stock so Tesco sent a 3kg turkey crown!! Enough for 8-10 shock shock

I'm not complaining because they didn't charge me the extra £5 and all leftovers will be turned into dishes for the freezer but I'm wondering if the predicted small turkey shortage, due to abnormal demand, is already kicking in.

Jaxjacky Wed 28-Oct-20 21:49:50

Poppsbaggie did I misread OP, thought the subject was availability of small turkeys at Christmas, not dietary choices?

Poppsbaggie Wed 28-Oct-20 22:04:22

Indeed, the OP was concerned about the availability of meat. Meat isn’t something neatly packaged for the supermarket. It is sentient beings which should not be treated as a cheap alternative to other sources of protein and iron. There are other ways to get these. If you are happy to slaughter animals for your own pleasure, so be it.

merlotgran Wed 28-Oct-20 22:18:22

Poppsbaggie, That's a little dramatic!

Missfoodlove Thu 29-Oct-20 07:19:20

It’s interesting how many posters mention supermarkets for their ordering.

I have always used a butcher and greengrocer, during lockdown I just phoned my orders in then collected.
I had hoped that lockdown may have increased the popularity of local shops.

It seems an M&S food order is now
part of a traditional Christmas.

merlotgran Thu 29-Oct-20 09:55:21

We live six miles from the nearest town and our village butcher closed down twenty years ago so supermarkets are the only option for us unfortunately.

There is a butcher in town but a long walk from the car park so I'm not going to put myself through any added torture. grin