Gransnet forums

Food

bread pudding anyone?

(59 Posts)
travelnan Fri 30-Oct-20 14:01:25

I have just made a bread pudding and am wondering if this is something that is out of date. The recipe I use was given to me by an aunt over 50 years ago. My family love it (so do I). Am I the only one to still enjoy a slice?

Flossieturner Sun 01-Nov-20 09:47:59

This has made me desire a bread pudding. Are there any more recipes you can share?

Froglady Sun 01-Nov-20 08:18:49

Whoops! Realised that I had misread the title of the OP. Teach me to take my time with things.
I will always remember my stepfather coming home with many loaves of bread and making bread pudding with it all. The bread was left over after a special meet with the Camping and Caravanning club, maybe the Tulip Rally or the Goose Fair or a Feast of Lanterns.
We also found it in a town called St Cere in the Dordogne/Lot Valley region of France, where my parents went to a nearby campsite for a month every summer for over 20 years, and buying some every time they went shopping there. He loved bread pudding with a passion!

Froglady Sun 01-Nov-20 08:14:23

My mum used to always make our bread sauce, whole onions studded with cloves, etc, etc. She reckoned that if she could only have one thing for Christmas dinner it would be the bread sauce.

Nanagem Sun 01-Nov-20 08:12:10

Love bread pudding, hate bread and butter pudding, 2 total different things ! Hot from the oven yummy, cold the next day yummy. My mum used to make a lovely one with suet in, Ive lost the recipe over the years, and have never managed to replace it, there’s only me that eats it in this house so not worth making, but reading this thread brings make memories ?

M0nica Sat 31-Oct-20 17:47:04

Lemongrove I always use suet in bread pudding. I have no recipe, my mother made it (with suet) and did all by eye and I do the same.

Gransooz Fri 30-Oct-20 22:22:54

My mum made a lovely bread pudding. We had it hot as a pudding and anything left was sliced cold. When mum passed away, my brother took her recipe book, telling me that he’d copy what he wanted out of it and give it to me. Sadly, his house went on fire while he still had it ...
I’d love to know how she made it (along with loads of other things that would be in there!)

biba70 Fri 30-Oct-20 22:22:21

Ah, yes, got it, thanks. For me, the simple bread and butter pudding is the best- nothing else fancy added. Thanks.

lemongrove Fri 30-Oct-20 22:20:03

The recipe is for bread pudding.
For bread and butter pudding: butter about five slices of white bread, line a dish with triangles of the bread and butter.
Use eggs and milk and sugar beaten together, pour slowly over the bread and sprinkle dried fruit on.Layer the bread and fruit and custard mixture until the dish is full.If you have any cream pour some on top.Then a sprinkle of nutmeg.
Cook in reasonably medium to hot oven until done.

There are variations some like, add marmalade to the bread and butter and the zest of an orange.Broken up pain au chocolates ( in place of bread) and the zest of an orange is very nice too.

dontmindstayinghome Fri 30-Oct-20 22:19:54

My OH absolutely detests anything with dried fruit so I don't follow a traditional recipe as I would have to eat it all myself!
I make bread and butter pudding using brioche.
I slice the brioche then spread with butter and apricot jam. Pour on the sweetened egg and cream mixture, sprinkle the top with flaked almonds and bake.
Its absolutely delicious, I often get requests for it from friends when entertaining.

Lucca Fri 30-Oct-20 22:12:40

Confusion again I think. Bread pudding vs bread and butter pudding.

biba70 Fri 30-Oct-20 22:09:13

thanks for recipe lemon- but how to you spread butter/lard mix on wet bread? I thought you were supposed to butter the bread first?

Lucca Fri 30-Oct-20 22:03:17

MawB2

Oh yes please!
Any winter warming comfort pudding is just what I need right now..

What ? After the fish and chips ?!

lemongrove Fri 30-Oct-20 22:01:27

Yes Trex is fine, I have never used suet in it.

lemongrove Fri 30-Oct-20 22:01:00

I think I had better make one tomorrow.?

Callistemon Fri 30-Oct-20 22:00:39

Is Trex an option?
I'm sure my mum used suet.

lemongrove Fri 30-Oct-20 21:59:36

MIL’s recipe ( wonderful)
12 slices bread
2oz margarine or butter ( I use butter)
1oz lard ( important to use this)
2 large eggs
1 heaped teasp of mixed spice
2 tablespoons sugar
12 oz mixed fruit.

Wet the bread with a little milk add the marg or butter, and lard and mix together well.Then add the sugar and mixed spice and eggs, lastly add the fruit.
Cook in a well buttered tin for 1 and a half hours to 2 hours.
On 150 in electric oven (if fan assisted 140)
When cooked and cool sprinkle sugar on the top.

Westcoaster Fri 30-Oct-20 21:57:03

I'm a big fan too.
When our kids were wee I made a "luxury" one from a magazine recipe (involved cream in place of just milk) when my sister came to visit with her girls. It smelt gorgeous and we hoped the girls would prefer to have ice-cream instead so we could eat it ourselves! Sadly for our greedy mouths, all girls tried it and loved it. grin
Never made it that way again, but still make it very occasionally as a treat.

Greyduster Fri 30-Oct-20 20:50:59

Bread pudding is DH’s all time favourite. I hate it. Can’t make it because the thought of bread soaked in any kind of liquid turns my stomach. Fortunately I have a kind friend who makes very good bread pudding and sends him emergency rations!

biba70 Fri 30-Oct-20 20:48:37

For me, bread and butter pudding must be made with normal bread, not croissants, not brioche, not panetone. I mean, that was the whole point, to use left over bread.

Callistemon Fri 30-Oct-20 20:44:39

DH, being German, just does not "get" the idea of hot puddings.
The recipe for bread pudding which I have was given to me by a German lady who made it for a local cafe. It was served like cake.

25Avalon Fri 30-Oct-20 18:16:53

I always thought bread pudding was made with stale cake and bread. It is totally different from bread and butter pudding. I used to get it from a local family owned bread shop along with the most delicious lardy cake. Not had either since last March before lockdown. Sob!

rite Fri 30-Oct-20 18:15:14

I don't usually join in but could not resist today! I love bread pudding warm from the oven with white sugar generously sprinkled over the top eaten as cake with a nice cup of tea and cold the next day with hot custard as a desert (if there is any left!)

My mums recipe included a large spoonful of marmalade delicious!!!

Susiewong65 Fri 30-Oct-20 18:10:30

I sometimes make Delia Smiths Chocolate Bread and Butter pudding as a special treat but I also love the traditional version, yum !

sukie Fri 30-Oct-20 18:04:20

Love bread pudding! To me it is autumn comfort food. This thread stirs warm memories and reminds me to get busy making some.

M0nica Fri 30-Oct-20 17:44:27

Oh yes, I make bread and butter pudding that we eat as a pud with cream or custard, but that is an entirely different dish. Not a bit like bread pudding.