Gransnet forums

Food

Turkey, would this work??

(79 Posts)
phoenix Fri 06-Nov-20 10:42:32

Morning, good wishes to all.

This year I will be doing a turkey crown, rather than a whole bird.

I usually stuff it, butter it and cover the breast and thighs with bacon, wrap in foil etc.

Bit worried that it might be dry, so toying with the idea of turning it upside down and putting some stuffing in the "dip" iykwim, then bacon on top, foil and actually cooking it upside down.

The thinking is that the juices from the stuffing will go down into the meat and moisten it.

Well, that's the theory grin!

Any thoughts?

TIA!

M0nica Thu 12-Nov-20 11:34:48

I have never had a dry turkey that I remember. I do now cook it upside down and then turn it over, but I only started doing that a few years ago and that was more to do with getting the dark meat deep in the turkey legs fully cooked. I had nearly 50 years of just buttering the breast and bunging it in the oven , sometimes with foil and sometimes without, without any problems.

Shropshirelass Thu 12-Nov-20 09:05:56

I love the dark meat, along with the crispy skin - best bits.

Aepgirl Thu 12-Nov-20 08:48:11

We don't eat turkey - roast beef for us. Can you get a roast beef crown? (just kidding)

Sweetchile Wed 11-Nov-20 23:02:19

Havent had a dry turkey or turkey crown in the last 25years I always use a turkey roasting bag and pop some butter under the skin to self baste.

Bluecat Wed 11-Nov-20 19:36:09

My sister roasted her Christmas turkey upside down one year, following the advice of a celebrity chef on TV - possibly Delia. At dinnertime, she rang me in a panic.

"This turkey has got no breast! Nothing to carve!"

"Have you forgotten that you cooked it upside down?"

I believe that it was nice and juicy, though, after she turned it the right way round.

Lupin Wed 11-Nov-20 16:57:06

One of the chefs on Masterchef - The Professionals roasted his chicken crown upside down.
I always turn chickens over and would try a crown a la Phoenix.
Have turned family Christmas over to the younger generation now, so turn up to eat it, and so far so good. It's been delicious.

queengran Wed 11-Nov-20 16:32:56

Any excuse for a Yorkshire pud - couldn't think of not having one at Christmas. grin We're also thinking of doing without a turkey this year. There is talk of a side of salmon which I'm not 100% sure about. Feels a bit...summery.

Juniper1 Wed 11-Nov-20 16:29:05

So over turkey. Farm shop chicken, and either duck or beef Wellington

Carmo1 Wed 11-Nov-20 15:30:39

Phoenix we have Yorkshire pudding with any roast

Singlegrannie Wed 11-Nov-20 13:57:18

Yes Phoenix -but the couple doing the cooking are not enthusiasts about using leftovers and don't have a lot of freezer space. Between us we could probably use the leftovers from a small turkey but I think the choice will be beef.

Riggie Wed 11-Nov-20 13:31:37

Same here!!!

phoenix Wed 11-Nov-20 13:29:00

I'm always surprised when people say that even a small Turkey would be too big!

It's such good value for money, and the cooked meat freezes well to make pies, casseroles etc further down the line.

Singlegrannie Wed 11-Nov-20 13:22:24

Am I the only one who thinks that the brown meat on a turkey is much nicer than the breast ? Would be really disappointed in a Christmas dinner with breast meat only.
Having said that, this year will be sharing Christmas dinner with just 2 adults (plus me) and 2 small children so will probably be having beef as even a small turkey would be too large.

LynneH Wed 11-Nov-20 13:21:51

One year, my oven blew up on Christmas Eve, so I was faced with the dilemma of how to cook the three bird roast I had. I did in the slow cooker, on a bed of onions t9 create enough moisture. It was delicious. I think it would work well with a turkey crown, too

Foxyferret Wed 11-Nov-20 13:05:01

Jillybird, exactly what I do but upside down for longer.

icanhandthemback Wed 11-Nov-20 13:01:05

We smother ours with bacon, wrap in foil and start it off upside down. When it is half way through cooking we turn the turkey up the right way and then open up the foil near the end to crisp up the bacon. We always rest it too. We have never had a dry turkey yet.

Yellowmellow Wed 11-Nov-20 12:52:47

My lads like Yorkshire's with all roast dinners. No right or wrong way we all do what's right for us

Poppsbaggie Wed 11-Nov-20 12:43:58

I’m veggie, so have Yorkshire Puds whenever I feel like it.

Juicylucy Wed 11-Nov-20 12:43:20

Sorry ladies I have to have Yorkshire’s with Christmas dinner. I know I know they are meant for beef but I just love them.

shysal Wed 11-Nov-20 12:18:38

Slightly off piste but on the subject of roasting poultry, I use Jamie Oliver's tip of standing a chicken, whole or portions, on a couple of slices of bread as it roasts. It gives the most delicious fried bread ever, crisp on the bottom and soaked in chicken juices on top. It is my favourite part of the meal!

4allweknow Wed 11-Nov-20 12:16:40

Upside down for chicken and turkey is fairly standard. Go for it and enjoy though I'd do the stuffing separately, my own choice.

phoenix Wed 11-Nov-20 12:07:55

NannyC1 thanks for that, but although it recommends using half the quantity, it doesn't seem to give the recipe for the brining solution?

NannyC1 Wed 11-Nov-20 12:03:14

Have you tried Brining your turkey. Lots of recipies! on Internet. I do this every year. The brine helps to season it and keeps it really moist as it cooks.
www.nigella.com/ask/spiced-superjuicy-turkey-crown.

carolmary Wed 11-Nov-20 11:46:50

Beware when brining a turkey! I did this last year and it was much too salty. If I ever do it again, I will use half the salt required in the recipe

lizzypopbottle Wed 11-Nov-20 11:37:22

We'd have Yorkshire Puddings with everything, even curry, if I could persuade my son to make them! His are the best. I remember the school ones, sixty years ago, were like flattish pieces of foam rubber but I still loved them. My mother never made them. ?