Gransnet forums

Food

Turkey, would this work??

(78 Posts)
phoenix Fri 06-Nov-20 10:42:32

Morning, good wishes to all.

This year I will be doing a turkey crown, rather than a whole bird.

I usually stuff it, butter it and cover the breast and thighs with bacon, wrap in foil etc.

Bit worried that it might be dry, so toying with the idea of turning it upside down and putting some stuffing in the "dip" iykwim, then bacon on top, foil and actually cooking it upside down.

The thinking is that the juices from the stuffing will go down into the meat and moisten it.

Well, that's the theory grin!

Any thoughts?

TIA!

Nanagem Fri 06-Nov-20 10:51:48

I always cook my Turkey and chicken upside down, they don’t look pretty as the drumsticks sort of sag. I think it’s an excellent idea, I am doing a chicken crown this weekend so will give it a go and let you know what happens

phoenix Fri 06-Nov-20 10:55:24

Thank you Nanagem!

Bluebellwould Fri 06-Nov-20 10:58:39

I boil my turkey crown! I have a large saucepan (pressure cooker) that I put the crown in upside down and add stock, herbs, onions, carrots and celery. Cook for four hours or so. You end up with moist turkey and a beautiful stock for gravy and soft vegetables. You can purée the vegetables into the stock for a sauce or strain them out. I always think roast turkey skin is inedible so I take it off anyway. This way you also have oven space for the essential and in my opinion the best bits of roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings, bacon wrapped sausages and stuffing.

Elegran Fri 06-Nov-20 11:00:53

I cook them upside down too, (unless I am doing chicken at a lower heat for 2 hours, in a covered casserole and with butter/ /bacon/butterpaper over the breast, plus a short burst bare to brown it a bit) It is carved before being served, so the appearance doesn't matter.

phoenix Fri 06-Nov-20 11:03:54

Yorkshire puddings!

At Christmas shock

Only with beef, in this house!

Tweedle24 Fri 06-Nov-20 11:28:54

What about a roasting bag?

Bluebellwould Fri 06-Nov-20 11:30:36

Phoenix, don’t knock it till you’ve tried it !

B9exchange Fri 06-Nov-20 11:34:11

Constant debate about Yorkshire puddings with the grandchildren. Ex SiL comes from Yorkshire, and taught them to have Yorkshires with every possible roast. I'm with Phoenix, in this house they only get them with roast beef!

Jane10 Fri 06-Nov-20 11:38:14

I'm with Phoenix on this!

phoenix Fri 06-Nov-20 11:40:00

Quite enough going on with 2 types of stuffing, pigs in blankets, roast potatoes, swede, roast parsnips, carrots and sprouts without adding Yorkshire puddings Bluebellwould!

dontmindstayinghome Fri 06-Nov-20 11:54:04

I always cook my turkey crown exactly as you have described phoenix, its delicious.
I put the foil wrapped parcel on a bed of stock and vegetables which I later strain and use to make the gravy.

We have decided to have a large chicken this year as there will only be four of us.

No Yorkshires in this house though - there is enough to do with all the usual trimmings and vegetables!

Jaxjacky Fri 06-Nov-20 11:56:17

I’ve cooked turkey breast the last few years, generously butter, fresh herbs, pepper, then streaky bacon. Good slosh of white wine in a foil ‘bag’ into oven 150 for 2.5 hours, foil folded back from the top for last 2 minutes, always been fine.

phoenix Fri 06-Nov-20 11:57:34

Well that's reassuring, dontmind, I'm more confident now that that's what I'm going to do!

Puzzler61 Fri 06-Nov-20 12:04:02

I cook all joints and birds in roasting bags to retain moisture in the meat. Wouldn’t want to be without them now.
I cook roast potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips separately in goose fat.

M0nica Fri 06-Nov-20 12:15:51

I cook the turkey upside down for most of the time then turn it over about an hour before finish so that the skin on the breast is deliciously crisp and brown,. DD and I then keep a beady eye on each other to ensure that the other one does not have more than their halfshare..

Daddima Fri 06-Nov-20 12:24:51

I’ve taken to brining chicken. Just add salt, sugar, soy sauce, and anything else you fancy, like garlic, onion, or lemon to enough warm water to cover the chicken, let it cool,and leave it overnight for a whole chicken, or three or four hours for pieces. I’m sure it would work equally well with turkey.

phoenix Fri 06-Nov-20 12:54:59

Does anyone remember the Phil Vickery method?

I tried it one year and it broke my hob angry

shysal Fri 06-Nov-20 13:39:59

Can I refer you back to this old thread? Timings for crowns included. Good luck.
www.gransnet.com/forums/christmas/1243359-Anyone-else-doing-the-Phil-Vickery-turkey-method?msgid=26518662

shysal Fri 06-Nov-20 13:41:31

Sorry, missed your last post. Perhaps it is not for your! smile

Fennel Fri 06-Nov-20 15:01:09

What is a turkey/chicken crown? I've only ever bought and cooked either a whole one (plucked and emptied) or joints.
Once cooked a whole goose - never again, too much to eat for just 2 people.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 06-Nov-20 15:05:46

It’s a turkey de-legged.

Fennel Fri 06-Nov-20 15:50:58

Thanks WW2.
So basically just both breasts on the bone.
I think the legs have more flavour, especially with chickens.
I sometimes make stuffing balls and roast them beside the chicken joints.
Breadcrumbs, herbs onions chopped apricots and apples, egg and oil to bind.

M0nica Fri 06-Nov-20 20:10:31

I am not worried how big the bird is, once it has seen the festivities through it is broken up, frozen and the carcass goes in the stockpot, and the stock can also be frozen.

We had some lovely turkey soup just before last Easter.

phoenix Fri 06-Nov-20 20:15:40

Actually, I'm planning to buy legs (already on sale in Morrisons) and cook them separately.

Mr P is not keen on the dark meat, but loves my cheats turkey and ham pie, which definitely needs some dark meat.