Gransnet forums

Food

Using ground almonds in pastry making

(32 Posts)
lemongrove Sun 15-Nov-20 21:23:14

I use ground almonds in pastry making ( sometimes) and particularly for making mince pies, it makes them very crumbly and delicious but they often collapse or partially collapse taking them out of the tin ( greased) has anyone got any tips?

Callistemon Mon 16-Nov-20 14:19:23

Having had to scrape the remainder of the pop overs out of the tin this morning, I decided to bake them in little cake cases next time to see if that would work.
The thought occurred to me that you might be able to use cut-down little cake cases for your mince pies, lemongrove, or small circles of baking paper.

(Actually, I lie. DH cleaned the tin)

lemongrove Mon 16-Nov-20 15:04:36

Thanks!?For all the replies, I am now armed with tips for getting mince pies out with minimum fuss.
It is a lot of butter I know, but the recipe makes wonderful mince pies.
Mamissimo that must be where my W.I.friend got the recipe from.
I tend to stick to Delia recipes or Nigel Slater....I should try other ones really.
I don’t make my own mincemeat, I use supermarket ones, but I add a little grated lemon rind and brandy beforehand.

GrannyLaine Mon 16-Nov-20 16:04:49

Well this has been bothering me somewhat. I looked at the Katie Stewart recipe lemongrove and these are the proportions given which seem more realistic:

275 g/10 oz plain flour
25 g/1 oz ground almonds
175 g/6 oz butter
75 g/3 oz castor sugar
finely grated rind of ½ lemon
1 egg yolk
3 tablespoons milk

My late MIL had a friend who was a very good cook but if she passed on a recipe, she always altered the ingredients so it wouldn't quite work. I wonder........?

lemongrove Mon 16-Nov-20 16:11:49

Haha? No, she was a lovely lady, and the recipe does work, it’s really delicious pastry, but some of the mince pies don’t come out of the tin cleanly ( some do).I could give that recipe a go though thanks GrannyLaine and see what it’s like.
Less almonds and slightly less butter may work well.

Fennel Mon 16-Nov-20 17:03:32

I'm no good at making pastry so maybe I shouldn't be giving advice, just to say that ground almonds do have some oil in them. So maybe cut down on the butter.
My Mum used lard and her pastry was perfect. But we don't eat lard now.

varian Mon 16-Nov-20 17:39:29

Have you tried putting a strip of baking parchment in each tin?