Gransnet forums

Food

Your favourite cook ?

(101 Posts)
Shirleyw Wed 18-Nov-20 05:05:15

Got to say it's Delia and Mary B my number one go to books....recipes never fail.....
I also like Rick Stein, Nigella, Jamie Oliver and hairy bikers, Nigel Slater is a good read but not keen on the lay out of his recipes.

Nvella Wed 18-Nov-20 10:11:20

Always Delia for her recipes and quite like Mary Berry

Nvella Wed 18-Nov-20 10:13:45

Also I use an app on my iPhone/iPad which organises all your recipes and enables you to pull online recipes straight into it. I love it. It’s called Paprika

readalot Wed 18-Nov-20 10:18:20

I like the hairy bikers and Nigel Slater

Shortlegs Wed 18-Nov-20 10:21:23

It's a close tie between my partner and my mum. As my mum has been dead nearly 25 years I'll go with my partner. (I'm not a bad cook either, but choosing myself seemed a tad arrogant!).

olliebeak Wed 18-Nov-20 10:22:22

I'm another fan of Nigel Slater and his beautiful voice smile.

When I first got married, I loved to watch The Galloping Gourmet - aka Graham Kerr. Anybody else remember him?

Jaxjacky Wed 18-Nov-20 10:24:54

Keith Floyd, Madhur Jaffrey, Hairy Bikers and Jamie, I like reading their books that have some background. I also have a soft spot for Marcus Wareing, not his recipes, just him!

jenni123 Wed 18-Nov-20 10:25:02

my favourite cook is the guy who cooks my fish and chips in the local chippy (once a week treat)

merlotgran Wed 18-Nov-20 10:32:57

My all time favourite cook was Keith Floyd. Nowadays my most used cook books are, Levi Roots, Omar Alliboy, Sabrina Ghayour and Thomasina Miers.

I like Jamie's TV programmes as a lot of his recipes really work and are easy to tweak. Nigella is for entertainment and Rick Stein for his travelogues.

I'm not keen on Nadiya Hussein's recipes. They are far too high in sugar and fat especially at a time when we should be encouraging children to eat healthily.

BigBertha1 Wed 18-Nov-20 10:36:33

joaniec7 I lent my Rose Elliot books to someone years ago and didnt get them back I loved her Red Dragon Pie, Beanpot and her Dhal. Glad to hear they are still available.

jaylucy Wed 18-Nov-20 10:40:32

Quite frankly, if James Martin would like to come to my house and cook for me any time of the year, he'd be welcome!

Mapleleaf Wed 18-Nov-20 10:46:26

Delia and Mary for go to recipes that work, but I also like Nigel Slater, The Hairy Bikers, Nigella, Jamie, Rick Stein and Madhur Jaffrey. (I've got quite a selection of books, ??).
I also have a Marguerite Patten book that I've had at least 40 years and some farmhouse kitchen ones. I should really do a cull, but can't ?.

paddyanne Wed 18-Nov-20 11:05:14

Not a fan of Mary Berry those long nails give me the heebie jeebies and she always seems to acts sort of "superior" .Not for me.I used to like Gary Rhodes and have afew of his books.good recipes that always work and Nick Nairn 's books are excellent .His wee series thats on currently is very good his cullen skink is one of the best.My Roselyne Masselin vegetarian book is well worn and still used for unusual veggie dishes.I have a couple of Italian books that I love one of the Genaro Contaldo's ,sadly when I ate at a restauarant he was cooking in the food wasn't great

Operalover Wed 18-Nov-20 11:09:32

It’s got to be Rosemary Shrager. Love her books and she’s hilarious too.

Casdon Wed 18-Nov-20 11:12:00

Cooking is a chore for me, I really don’t enjoy it, I’m the queen of batch cooking. I like eating though, and I love watching Nigel Slater and Rick Stein, both of them are relaxing to watch and have interesting lives.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 18-Nov-20 11:18:28

I enjoy Mary Berrys recipes, but I find Delia's cooking times are too long. I have to deduct an hour from her timings for Christmas cake or it would be burnt.
For sheer indulgence it would be Nigella or James Martin, two sides of the same coin.
I also love Nigel Slater.

Ziggy62 Wed 18-Nov-20 11:19:02

Jamie Oliver, think I have most of his books

Alioop Wed 18-Nov-20 11:19:36

I like Mary Berry, but James Martin is the one. Makes lovely food and doesn't hold back on the sugar, etc, all the stuff they say is bad for you. Best of all, he's so great to look at.

Kim19 Wed 18-Nov-20 11:24:45

Me. I cook what I want, when I want and exactly how I like it. Oh yessss.

Alishka Wed 18-Nov-20 11:27:45

Marydoll

I have a Margaret Patten cookery book, given as an engagement present 44 years ago. It is still going strong, although falling to bits.

I also like James Martin and the Hairy Bikers.

I had that one! In my early 20s I travelled through mainland Europe and learned mainly French and Italian dishes. Come the day, living in Italy, when we were having some English peeps to dinner, I realized I hadn't a clue how to make English gravy! Bought M.P's book at The Lion Bookshop in Rome.Sorted!
From the same book I learned how to make mincemeat, so made a killing selling Mince Pies to my English friends. Bought myself 2 pair of knee length Italian leather boots with the proceedsgrin

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 18-Nov-20 11:31:35

My first cookery book purchase when married was a Marguirete Pattenn's Cook Book. It cost a whopping 17/-. About 15 years ago it just about hit the dust and I managed to get a better condition book on-line but it cost me £23!!! James Martin is my favourite TV cook - he's gorgeous!! Has nice recipes as well!!

harrysgran Wed 18-Nov-20 11:33:06

Hairy Bikers the recipes are straightforward and delicious and they cook a lot of traditional recipes with a twist

GrandmasueUK Wed 18-Nov-20 11:34:50

I love Simon Hopkinson. We've got a few of his books which are extremely readable, and hits recipes are lovely. He and James Martin are a delight to watch.

After watching the programme about The Ritz I bought a signed copy of John Williams' cook book. He seemed such a down-to-earth chap with his lovely North East accent. The book is such a good read, but I doubt if we'll ever make anything from it.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 18-Nov-20 11:36:21

I've got a few Mary Berry cook books and I find them to be very good as the recipes are plainly explained and easy to follow.
On the telly I like Rick Stein, especially when he visits 'fishy' places as I'm not a big meat eater.

timetogo2016 Wed 18-Nov-20 11:41:13

Hairy Bikers and Gordon Ramsey for me,they seem down to earth.
The others i can take or leave.

angie4409 Wed 18-Nov-20 11:50:27

Mary Berry is my favourite I love cooking and trying out her receipes, I was lucky enough to be taught cookery at school by Mary Berry's sister in law .