Gransnet forums

Food

Christmas Day dinner quandary question.

(91 Posts)
WOODMOUSE49 Tue 24-Nov-20 16:01:12

Just the two of us.

Last year I did a pork tenderloin wellington. A little bit like a very fancy sausage roll smile. Lovely stuffing around it. The other half froze well.

We don't want chicken, turkey or duck. Looking for ideas on what to cook. Don't really want masses of leftovers though.

J52 Tue 24-Nov-20 19:54:37

Thorough *

Witzend Tue 24-Nov-20 20:00:20

The pork Wellington sounds lovely, OP. To me that would be very Christmassy - we often had roast pork on Boxing Day when I was a child.

boho43 Tue 24-Nov-20 20:13:14

Local Roast Pork, Crackling, Apple Gravy Sauce, Yorkshire Puds, Sprout Tops & Roast Honey Parsnips.

Some sort of creamy pud - haven’t decided yet & Orange Christmas Pudding .

lemongrove Tue 24-Nov-20 20:30:08

Missfoodlove

How about a small piece of gammon/ham.
Lovely hot and even nicer cold.
Great with cheesy leeks.

That’s what I would like, but no.....it has to be turkey?

Mapleleaf Tue 24-Nov-20 20:50:07

This year we are having a beef joint & all the trimmings, last year it was venison.
Just the two of us, but still like to do something a bit special (we rarely have the traditional Sunday lunch anyway, so beef/venison is a treat).
We will have Xmas pud to follow, then cheese and biscuits. The meal will last over the whole afternoon/evening - we don’t like to rush. Haven’t decided on the starter yet, will mull that over.
Your pork tenderloin Wellington sounded delicious,
WOODMOUSE49, but if you fancy a change this time, and beef, etc, doesn’t appeal, have you considered duck? I find that’s just the right size for two, and if you don’t fancy a whole one, then duck breasts are readily available and very quick to cook.
Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy it. ?

Mapleleaf Tue 24-Nov-20 20:51:54

Ignore the duck suggestion - just seen you don’t want it. I should read posts more carefully. Sorry.

MiniMoon Tue 24-Nov-20 23:14:50

We have ordered from Marks & Spencer.

We ordered a three game bird roast. There will just be the two of us so we didn't need a turkey or goose this year.

I'm actually looking forward to a quiet Christmas. Our grandchildren live nearby so we will see them, even if it's in the garden or through the windows.

Humbertbear Wed 25-Nov-20 08:12:23

Our favourite is pizza with onion rings, potato wedges and deep fried mushrooms.

elleks Wed 25-Nov-20 10:17:02

Three-fish roast? I believe Aldi do a couple of different ones.

Moggycuddler Wed 25-Nov-20 10:29:25

Quorn roast, with pigs in blankets (veggie versions) and chestnut stuffing and all the usual accompaniments. And pud and brandy sauce.

nipsmum Wed 25-Nov-20 10:31:57

Aldi do a very nice Salmon Wellington. It does about 4 portions. Look in the freezer section.

Nightsky2 Wed 25-Nov-20 10:32:23

LauraNorder

Already mentioned upthread but we are going for double egg and chips with peas and ketchup. Followed by bread and butter pudding.

And a little mayonnaise maybe, yum.

WOODHOUSE. Salmon en croute, or like LauraNorder egg and chips with ketchup and mayonnaise and peas and no left overs.

Nanny27 Wed 25-Nov-20 10:35:26

Roast goose for us, all the trimmings followed by Christmas pudding. I love to be traditional!

Nanny27 Wed 25-Nov-20 10:37:00

Humbertbear pizza? ?

Riggie Wed 25-Nov-20 10:38:00

Last year we had guinea fowl. It was kovely and isn't that different to the way chicken used to taste in our younger days - i.e has flavour!! But it wasnt very big - so I think we will be back to a free range butchers chicken this year. And some proper gammon alsonfeom the butcher.

Babs758 Wed 25-Nov-20 10:43:48

We had duck last year with homemade stuffing and it was delicious. Boiled the stock up and froze it and used it for various meals after.. I do like a home-cooked ham too. Can't get a supermarket delivery slot at all for the basics so will have to venture out. Luckily we have a really good local fishmongers and butchers and can phone and order in advance collecting early morning. Like the idea of halibut too!

Davida1968 Wed 25-Nov-20 10:47:30

DH and I will be on our own and we're having no Christmas dinner. Instead we're ordering lots of "finger food" to make life easy. Breakfast will be bagels, cream cheese and smoked salmon, then it will be a "grazing day" of delicious and varied nibbles/bites, plus some fresh salad. With a meringue roulade for pud. (Eaten at the table or on our laps, just as we feel on the day.) DH looks forward to a Christmas of him not cooking - he says it will be a wonderful change - and I'm simply happy with anything that's good food. (And minimal clearing up in the kitchen.) Sorted!

Paperbackwriter Wed 25-Nov-20 10:48:19

I think we're having goose. Perfect with quince jelly.

Cid24 Wed 25-Nov-20 10:48:26

Lamb with the bones sticking up - can’t remember what it’s called ?

Theoddbird Wed 25-Nov-20 10:48:56

Mushroom and cashew layer loaf with the totally moorish mushroom and sherry sauce for me...

sweetcakes Wed 25-Nov-20 10:50:59

Chelseababy
Isn't that a tomahawk steak if is totally delicious we had one sunday and it did two days and so quick to cook ?

Pattypee Wed 25-Nov-20 10:52:18

Second a nut roast - goodwill to all ?

Ailidh Wed 25-Nov-20 10:59:49

It's just me, and I always do the childhood Christmas dinner,'n which is chicken not turkey, "stuffing" that goes nowhere near the inside of the bird but is a pork and oatmeal meatloaf thing, then all the traditional add ons.

However, one of my favourite options that I used to do when people came was a sugar baked ham. Really lovely and with the right hint of delicious decadence.

hulahoop Wed 25-Nov-20 11:23:19

Haven't decided yet ?

Cabbie21 Wed 25-Nov-20 11:31:05

Depending which day the butcher can deliver, it will either be beef, or chicken breast. I don’t mind freezing the chicken but not keen on freezing a whole joint of beef, though am happy to freeze it cooked and sliced in gravy.