Gransnet forums

Food

Christmas Day dinner quandary question.

(91 Posts)
WOODMOUSE49 Tue 24-Nov-20 16:01:12

Just the two of us.

Last year I did a pork tenderloin wellington. A little bit like a very fancy sausage roll smile. Lovely stuffing around it. The other half froze well.

We don't want chicken, turkey or duck. Looking for ideas on what to cook. Don't really want masses of leftovers though.

Chewbacca Wed 25-Nov-20 21:18:01

A haunch of venison, slow roasted in ale with juniper berries. Very rich, so not a huge portion and venison is very low in fat.

Onthenaughtystep1 Wed 25-Nov-20 21:26:13

When I had a full house I used to debone the turkey, the carcass was then roasted and stock made in the slow cooker. I marinated the turkey meat overnight turning from time to time, then on Christmas Eve I would make a pork and herb stuffing and reassemble the turkey using the stuffing. So the breast would be placed over a mound of stuffing then the thighs and drumsticks still connected by the skin would have a generous portion of stuffing replacing the bones. The plump legs would be placed either side of the crown so that it looked like a regular whole turkey then refrigerated overnight. On Christmas Day it was roasted slowly basting regularly.
The end result was completely bone free so could all be sliced easily. It was a huge favourite and I only had the veg to see to of Christmas Day.
This year there are just two of us so, having nobody to please but ourselves our main course will be king prawns, scallops bacon, black pudding and samphire with a spicy Thai mango salad on the side.

BusterTank Wed 25-Nov-20 21:55:04

Venison always makes a change .

Hazeld Thu 26-Nov-20 13:17:41

We aren't that keen on turkey except for turkey sandwiches with pickled onions on Christmas night. We are having a nice joint of lamb this year. We rarely have lamb these days so it will be a nice treat.

TwinLolly Thu 26-Nov-20 20:46:35

Woodmouse49, I will send you the Babotie recipe in a private message. smile

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 26-Nov-20 21:42:43

TwinLolly

Woodmouse49, I will send you the Babotie recipe in a private message. smile

Thank you. smile

Lavazza1st Thu 26-Nov-20 21:49:53

Our household only are having a roast goose meal on Christmas Eve.

We will plate up a meal for elderly parents who like to eat at lunchtime on the dot and at Christmas, so it can be warmed up.

We are having buffet on Christmas day to avoid close contact with any family members that might visit. We've decided not to pack everyone round the table this year but a buffet will allow relatives to space out and not have to sit at the table.

Onthenaughtystep1 Fri 27-Nov-20 23:25:00

Lavazza1st. The reason that hotels and restaurants are no longer serving meals buffet style is because of the extremely high risk of passing on the virus firstly with everyone breathing over all the food and with everyone handling the same serving implements then eating with unwashed hands.
The safest way to serve a meal is with one person who maintains meticulous hygiene plating up food for everyone else.

Lavazza1st Mon 30-Nov-20 16:25:57

@onthenaughtystep1 ok, thanks for that advice! In that case we will avoid a buffet.

Our plans keep changing ! Now my husband says he does not want to have our meal on Christmas Eve! But as my parent has banned us from seeing my son at the same time as them, it seems like we will need to give my parent a time slot for lunch and then have them go home so we can see my son and not put the elderly parent at risk. I have offered to deliver elderly parent a dinner if they don't want to take the risk at all, but at the moment they are saying they do want to come. I feel like cancelling it and will definitely do so if EP gives me any more dramas!

Nanny27 Tue 01-Dec-20 09:34:24

Does anyone know where I can buy quince jelly this year? I have scoured the local shops to no avail.

25Avalon Tue 01-Dec-20 11:28:03

Sainsbury’s have Wilkins quince jelly. I made some myself earlier but overcooked it and it is a solidified sticky block in the jar!!

Nanny27 Wed 02-Dec-20 10:39:48

Thank you Avalon. I asked in our nearest Sainsbury's and the shop assistant looked at me blankly and said she'd never heard of it!

25Avalon Wed 02-Dec-20 11:22:15

Sorry about that Nanny 27. I looked when placing my online order and it was there. Maybe only the large stores have it.

Puzzler61 Wed 02-Dec-20 11:26:46

*Nanny27” Waitrose do small jars of “spiced quince and pear relish” £2.75. We love it and eat with cheeses. (not seen quince jelly sorry).

Nanny27 Thu 03-Dec-20 09:42:30

Thanks puzzler, that sounds delicious!