Gransnet forums

Food

Vegetarian Christmas

(77 Posts)
Blossoming Wed 25-Nov-20 15:53:54

What are the best vegetarian options instead of turkey on Christmas Day?

Chardy Wed 25-Nov-20 21:54:10

Homemade nut roast is easy and very yummy.

Dorsetcupcake61 Wed 25-Nov-20 21:57:04

Mark's and Spencer Mushroom Wellington-delicious!

Witzend Wed 25-Nov-20 22:46:39

‘Glutton free’ did make me ?!

Brackenheart62 Thu 26-Nov-20 10:10:22

I’m trying this veggie recipe this year! Looks scrummy! www.bmstores.co.uk/recipes/guest-recipe-jordan-s-vegetarian-blue-cheese-and-butternut-squash-christmas-wreath

Peewitt52 Thu 26-Nov-20 10:11:25

Mary Berry’s nut roast is lovely and I’m a confirmed carnivore.

Lilyflower Thu 26-Nov-20 10:17:16

Oil an individual tartlet tin with extra virgin olive oil. Line with two layers of filo pastry (each brushed with the olive oil).

Fill with pre roasted :-peppers/tomatoes/aubergines/onions/courgettes - a combination of some or all. You could add some feta or goats' cheese.

Cover with cheddar or mozzarella.

Bake at 170 degrees for about 12-20 minutes until the pastry looks done and the cheese is melted.

Can be premade and cooked on the day.

Theoddbird Thu 26-Nov-20 10:28:00

I am having a cashew and mushroom layer loaf with a mushroom and sherry sauce. It is wonderful cold as well and the sauce is moorish. Tried and tested for over 40 years. It is a Sarah Brown recipe

jenni123 Thu 26-Nov-20 11:08:33

Quorn do a family Toast plus a 'beef' version too, slices like meat and we always have one of these for Xmas. I think they also do a gammon version but it seems hard to get hold of.

Moggycuddler Thu 26-Nov-20 11:19:26

Smileless2012

One year I made a vegetarian glutton free Christmas dinner for our son's partners. Nut roast made a lovely alternative to turkey.

LOVE "glutton free"!! I think you mean gluten though. smile We have a Quorn roast with veggie sausages and veggie bacon to make pigs in blankets. And chestnut stuffing, with gravy, sprouts, roast spuds and parsnips. Yummy!

Sewpolly Thu 26-Nov-20 11:20:37

I agree with #vegansrock, the Bosh mushroom Wellington is gorgeous. I'm pretty sure you don't need to buy the book and that the recipe is online. If you don't like mushrooms you could actually leave them out and it's still lovely.

Mohum Thu 26-Nov-20 11:24:27

I laughed at the references to glutton free instead of gluten. I could do with some of that.

vickya Thu 26-Nov-20 11:35:21

Last year we had a family gathering before Xmas and vegan daughter brought a delicious pine nut and spinach roll. It was filo pastry with the filling.

CR39 Thu 26-Nov-20 11:36:01

I always make stuffed pancakes for the veggies in the family. You can make the pancakes in advance and even the fillings with anything they like. Roll up, put in casserole dish, cover with cheese sauce and put in oven. Bring to table in dish. You will find the meat eaters will definitely want to sample!

vickya Thu 26-Nov-20 11:36:03

She actually brought two long rolls and we all wanted more.

CR39 Thu 26-Nov-20 11:38:17

Spinach and pine nuts with mushrooms are good fillers.

Applegran Thu 26-Nov-20 12:02:26

My three sons love this recipehttps://cranks.co.uk/recipes/creamy-leek-croustade/
In fact in my experience meat eaters and vegetarians all love it! Highly recommended - you can serve it with cranberry sauce at Christmas.

Gill11 Thu 26-Nov-20 12:13:28

All I can say is "oh God, not another nut roast". all the magazines seem to trot it out every year, I do wish they could find something differenr.

Applegran Thu 26-Nov-20 12:24:21

I suggested a fabulous recipe for a vegetarian Christmas = link in earlier post - for Creamy Leek Crustade. I want to add that the recipe says it serves 2 - in my experience it serves 3 or 4, but I suppose it depends on your appetite! I often make the recipe and multiply by 1.5 or 2 depending on how many will be eating it. Also you can to all the preparation, let it all cool, and it freezes well - just needs a little longer in the oven when defrosted and ready fot the final bake. Yum! 3 sons plus others love it!

11unicorn Thu 26-Nov-20 12:30:18

Quorn has a wonderful roast, can highly recommend that
And Tesco has this year a special Vegetarian (Not) Turkey crown - you need to preorder this and it will be available from 20th to 23rd Dec - needless to say I have not yet been able to order this as it seems to be sold out every time I check. I spoke to my Tesco manager and he said he will make sure we get one. So best got to customer service in your local Tesco.

choughdancer Thu 26-Nov-20 12:39:21

I always base our Christmas roast on this recipe: www.peta.org/recipes/cashew-nut-roast-herb-stuffing/
I don't use so much margarine though; about half what they recommend! I often use Brazil nuts (more ethical) instead of cashews, or other nuts, and sometimes add a layer of shelled pistachios and/or whole cranberries for colour and crunch. It holds together well if you want to use a ring instead of a loaf tin.

lizzypopbottle Thu 26-Nov-20 12:46:02

Most of the supermarkets that offer special Christmas food do veggie and vegan alternatives if you can afford to buy and don't want to spend hours in the kitchen. M&S and Sainsbury's are two I know definitely do and there are catalogues you can collect or you can order on line.

Craftycat Thu 26-Nov-20 13:09:28

I was Veggie for some years before 2nd husband came along & refused to eat anything veggie. My so a were delighted when I started cooking neat again. It took about 3 months before I gave in & yes it WAS a bacon sandwich that turned me. I do still like the odd veggie meal if I am cooking just for me though.

Cid24 Thu 26-Nov-20 13:23:26

I made a chestnut and link Wellington one year, it was yummy. I can share the recipe if you’d like.

Cid24 Thu 26-Nov-20 13:24:00

Leek!

Doodledog Thu 26-Nov-20 13:30:46

Cid24

I made a chestnut and link Wellington one year, it was yummy. I can share the recipe if you’d like.

Yes please - that sounds good.