Gransnet forums

Food

Love or hate them?

(78 Posts)
Nellie098 Thu 28-Jan-21 13:17:49

Apparently M&S have just brought out a Marmite and cheese hot cross bun and also a Marmite butter. They don't have any currants in them. Has anyone seen these in their store or been able to try them?

Witzend Tue 02-Feb-21 19:27:47

I like Marmite, but I don’t think I’d fancy those.
Common or garden hot cross buns will do me, thanks.

grandmajet Tue 02-Feb-21 13:02:40

I love marmite, but just with toast and butter. My jaw has dropped in horror at some of the suggestions. Marmite with marmalade! Or jam!
By the way, I think pendants’ corner sounds a fun place to hang out!

nanna8 Tue 02-Feb-21 12:52:30

What’s wrong with the currant buns ? I don’t like the chocolate ones because they are too sweet and marmite belies belief. Now maybe vegemite?

Peeteegee Tue 02-Feb-21 12:47:30

Just had to put in my two penny worth! Whilst I love Marmite, I do not like raw cheese, but am happy to eat cooked cheese and love cheese flavoured things like cheese straws etc. The M&S cheese and Marmite hot cross buns are not like the normal hot cross buns because they are obviously savoury, so yes, it is a bit of a strange taste initially. I felt the flavour was quite subtle, so put extra Marmite on mine. If I had cheese in the house I would probably have tried them toasted (or warmed) with the extra Marmite and some grated cheese melted on top. I must admit that I was expecting them to be disgusting, so was pleasantly surprised. However, on balance I probably prefer to have any of the sweet flavoured hot cross buns. Even my partner who hates Marmite, although likes Marmite flavoured things like crisps, thought they were quite nice. Go on, try them!

Eloethan Sat 30-Jan-21 23:29:57

Sounds vile to me.

CarrieAnn Sat 30-Jan-21 22:07:27

Yes M&S have Marmite hot cross buns I saw them yesterday on a quick visit to our local simply fooI can't imagine what they taste like.I stuck to the luxury fruit ones which are as always delicious.

Harmonypuss Sat 30-Jan-21 19:26:10

Blooming predictive text.....

How can a bun be a hot cross bun without fruit anyway?

Harmonypuss Sat 30-Jan-21 19:24:58

Hot cross buns .... eeuukkk
Marmite ..... bleugh

Both are disgusting never mind putting them both together.

Devil's advocate here.... how can a bin be a bit cross bun without fruit anyway?

Mollygo Sat 30-Jan-21 19:09:10

Marmite-Yuk!
Cheese hot cross bun Yuk!
No prizes for guessing how I feel about cheese and Marmite hot cross buns!

FannyCornforth Sat 30-Jan-21 19:03:57

Missingmoominmama thank you! smile
I must say, your name is a nightmare to type! smile

Elvis58 Sat 30-Jan-21 19:02:28

No,l dont like marmite yuk!

Missingmoominmama Sat 30-Jan-21 18:09:27

Sorry- autocarrot ? made me chuckle grin.

Lilyflower Sat 30-Jan-21 17:30:58

No, just no.

Nanananana1 Sat 30-Jan-21 15:48:05

I know it is supposed to 'be a good thing' to experiment with different foods but this just sounds like a step too far. Personally I don't like my food being mucked about with. I like to enjoy the original taste of what I am eating. Marmite just tastes of salt and beef stock cubes to me so why on earth would I want it in a hot cross bun that was fine in the first place?

25Avalon Sat 30-Jan-21 15:33:55

My son loved marmite. It was one of the few things he would eat so when we visited my parents mum always had a jar in. One day apparently dad thought he would try this substance his gs liked so much and spread it thickly on his toast. He had a rude awakening! Not sure he ever ate it again.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 30-Jan-21 15:28:36

I can't bear Marmite so it's a no from me. I saw some the other day but didn't feel in the slightest bit tempted.

Jaxjacky Sat 30-Jan-21 15:24:03

I disliked the cheese and chilli ones, I’d try these. Small problem as I only visit local shops during the pandemic to top up delivery. My favourite is a marmite and banana sandwich.

sodapop Sat 30-Jan-21 15:06:17

I'm with Blossoming here, love hot cross buns and marmite but not together.
I do like beans on marmite toast.

Visgir1 Sat 30-Jan-21 14:50:18

Hot press from DD and SiL they are fabulous.

Spinnaker Sat 30-Jan-21 14:28:28

Love Marmite spread thinly on Ryvita crispbreads and topped with fat free cottage cheese smile

ayse Sat 30-Jan-21 14:20:37

I love marmite and hot cross buns but not together. Sounds revolting but each to their own.

annodomini Sat 30-Jan-21 14:13:50

I've never liked Marmite, but took to Vegemite when I lived in East Africa. However, when visiting Australia, I drew the line at Vegemite ice cream, at Bondi Beach. shock

grannybuy Sat 30-Jan-21 14:05:37

The cheese and chilli ones are very often well reduced at the end of the day, so I assume there's not a great market for them.

Polly4t42 Sat 30-Jan-21 14:04:37

Ugh from me and my husband who really likes the stuff says no not in a hot cross bun.

Lilypops Sat 30-Jan-21 14:01:48

My DH puts marmalade and Marmite on his morning toast !,