Gransnet forums

Food

Love or hate them?

(77 Posts)
Nellie098 Thu 28-Jan-21 13:17:49

Apparently M&S have just brought out a Marmite and cheese hot cross bun and also a Marmite butter. They don't have any currants in them. Has anyone seen these in their store or been able to try them?

Daddima Thu 28-Jan-21 13:21:01

Sounds delicious! I’m eating Marmite rice cakes as a snack at present, and also love to put in on potatoes for roasting.
I’d like to hear folk’s verdicts.

shysal Thu 28-Jan-21 13:59:34

M&S did a cheese hot cross bun some years ago, can't remember whether they included Marmite. I tried them as I thought they might be nice toasted. In fact they were revolting!

What about the Marmite peanut butter? Although I am a Marmite fan I don't like this.

Tricia247uk Thu 28-Jan-21 14:00:40

Yuk!

Doodledog Thu 28-Jan-21 14:06:20

I haven't tried Marmite peanut butter, but I would give it a go. I suspect it would give me heartburn, though, as would a Marmite and cheese hot cross bun.

EllanVannin Thu 28-Jan-21 14:09:21

Oh no, I prefer Marmite on toast--preferably with a poached egg or two grin

Mapleleaf Thu 28-Jan-21 14:12:37

Sounds disgusting ?.

Septimia Thu 28-Jan-21 14:36:30

What's the point? You might just as well have a cheese and marmite roll.

vampirequeen Thu 28-Jan-21 15:19:19

Urgh Marmite. The perfect way to spoil any food.

muse Thu 28-Jan-21 15:26:48

Not been in an M+S since August 2020.

I make marmite and cheese straws/twists with left over puff or shortcrust pastry.

The pot is out every day. Yummy on toast with poached or scrambled egg.

muse Thu 28-Jan-21 15:27:46

...a M+S hmm

JaneJudge Thu 28-Jan-21 15:35:04

my son orders that horrible marmite soft cheese on the food order. I actually like marmite but it turns my stomach

www.ocado.com/products/m-s-cream-cheese-marmite-523902011

Blondiescot Thu 28-Jan-21 15:36:59

Sounds great to me - I'm a Marmite addict! I'm the only one in the house who likes it, but I buy the huge tubs of it from Costco! Not met a Marmite product yet that I didn't like.

FannyCornforth Thu 28-Jan-21 15:39:31

muse

...a M+S hmm

I think that an M&S may actually be correct.
This is definitely one for pendants' corner.
(Please note my carefully placed apostrophe!)

Greyduster Thu 28-Jan-21 15:49:25

Big Marmight fan here, but a hot cross bun?? No no no!!

Riverwalk Thu 28-Jan-21 16:37:17

JaneJudge

my son orders that horrible marmite soft cheese on the food order. I actually like marmite but it turns my stomach

www.ocado.com/products/m-s-cream-cheese-marmite-523902011

I'm not a Marmite fan but last year bought this in M&S and although I didn't particularly like the taste, found it quite moreish and ate the pot almost in one go.

It had a sort of caramel taste to it and the sensation took me back to eating Caramac 'chocolate' as a child - didn't really like it but couldn't resist.

Very strange!

mrswoo Thu 28-Jan-21 17:24:06

I love Marmite but am not particularly keen on hot cross buns so I dont think I'd bother. The Marmite butter sounds good though.
I've recently become addicted to Marmite rice cakes - good for a snack if you are trying to loose weight. (1.5 syns per large rice cake for any one on Slimming World)

PECS Thu 28-Jan-21 17:27:34

But how can it be a Hot Cross Bun if it does not have the core ingredients of a Hot x bun? It is a cheese & marmite bunconfused
Marketing people at it again..

Blossoming Thu 28-Jan-21 17:36:33

I love Marmite and I love hot cross buns, but I don’t fancy a combination!

varian Thu 28-Jan-21 17:51:56

Some foods which are OK on their own are much better together - rhubarb + yoghurt, sardine mashed up with cottage cheese for a delicious pate, almost any kind of fish with lemon.

grannypiper Thu 28-Jan-21 18:34:25

I love marmite and i adore hot cross buns. If you add anything else they are not hot cross buns,

grannyrebel7 Thu 28-Jan-21 19:02:47

I can only eat hot cross buns on Good Friday, but definitely not with Marmite!

rubysong Thu 28-Jan-21 19:28:43

I love Marmite and today I had a piece of baguette with Marmite and cheese for lunch. When Easter comes I will be enjoying my hot cross bun with butter, not Marmite!

BlueBelle Thu 28-Jan-21 19:38:49

I love Marmite and I love Bovril I eat either with jam on toast yummy but I don’t fancy marmite hot cross buns or peanut butter
Leave it alone we can put it on what we want ourselves Stop mucking stuff up

elleks Sat 30-Jan-21 09:39:53

shysal

M&S did a cheese hot cross bun some years ago, can't remember whether they included Marmite. I tried them as I thought they might be nice toasted. In fact they were revolting!

What about the Marmite peanut butter? Although I am a Marmite fan I don't like this.

I think that was chili and cheese; my husband agrees with you.
@FannyCornforth; you had the apostrophe in the right place, but it's pedants, not pendants!