Gransnet forums

Food

Should I bin my scones?

(90 Posts)
nadateturbe Fri 05-Feb-21 11:07:14

I've just put scones in the oven. As the buttermilk seemed quite thin ( I gave it a shake before using) I checked the date and discovered it was use by 13 January. Pity I hadn't done this first! Should I take them out and bin them? Conflicting advice online.

Witzend Mon 08-Feb-21 19:01:35

I’m truly ? at the idea of binning a tin of cocoa with an 8/20 date!

During Lockdown One I used some GF flour at least 2 years out of date, and some split peas even more so.
Both were absolutely fine.

nadateturbe Mon 08-Feb-21 22:38:10

I can't believe I'm so fussy about dates. I'm absolutely paranoid. I binned two unopened bags of flour a few days ago, a month out of date. I check dates on everything. The only thing I will eat overdate is vegetables. And humus for some reason. Often my OH will say I'll eat it, nothing wrong with it and he's fine.

Callistemon Mon 08-Feb-21 23:04:04

I've got a tin of Green and Black's cocoa somewhere but was a bit reluctant to use it as it's BB Feb 2018 and it has been opened.

Callistemon Mon 08-Feb-21 23:05:33

I binned two unopened bags of flour a few days ago, a month out of date. shock people were bulk buying flour Las year and I couldn't get any!!

They would have been fine. After opening, make sure you put them in a sealed container.

annodomini Mon 08-Feb-21 23:22:57

When I was staying with DS and family, I had to persuade them that it was quite safe to use eggs that were three days over the use-by date. I've used eggs weeks over that limit and found them perfectly fine for baking.

twiglet77 Mon 08-Feb-21 23:27:33

Another fan of 3 Ingredient Scones, made with double cream and full-fat lemonade or Sprite.

nadateturbe Tue 09-Feb-21 00:03:36

people were bulk buying flour last year and I couldn't get any!!

I remember that Callistemon. I didnt though, just a couple of extra as I would have time for baking. But wasn't able to.

MaizieD Tue 09-Feb-21 11:09:20

Sad to read of people throwing away perfectly good food because it's passed the 'use by' date.

Food poisoning is caused by toxins produced by active bacteria in the foodstuff.

From my long ago Food Hygiene lectures:

Bacteria need three conditions to become active:

Food
Moisture
Oxygen

If one of these is absent, they cannot become active. therefore cannot produce toxins. so things like flour and cocoa, dried pulses cannot harm you, however far past the 'use by' date they are.

Once all three conditions are present bacteria need warmth and time to multiply effectively. Which is why susceptible food is kept at a low temperature. And cooked or eaten soon, once out of the fridge. The longer it is kept at bacterias' ideal temperature the more active and toxic they become. Once the temperature rises above that they are destroyed. Advice on temperatures is readily available on line.

Bacterial action is obvious, bubbles, discolouration and, often, smell.

Use by/sell by dates on food are a legal requirement. I suspect that, for dried food particularly, producers have no idea how long it remains viable, but they have to put something... But they are the cause of dreadful amounts of food waste because people don't know the science. Unless you are actually allergic to a foodstuff it'll be bacterial toxins that will poison you. No bacterial action, no toxins...

Hope this helps grin

Callistemon Tue 09-Feb-21 11:39:55

What about out of date pulses?
(Very out of date)

justwokeup Tue 09-Feb-21 12:09:30

Due to a health problem last week I wasn't capable of moving fresh food to the freezer, it's really bothered me to throw most of it out this week. Usually I go by the 'smell it and see' method but this was fish and pork, and I never take the risk. After all, I can normally transfer it to the freezer if there's any danger of not eating it. The scones looked wonderful, I guess they've all gone by now. Apparently Callistemon the pulses will be fine to eat because they're dried but they lose their vitamins after about 5 years.

Calendargirl Tue 09-Feb-21 12:38:50

Oh for goodness sake!

Flour a month out of date?

Cocoa dated August last year, unopened?

Just looked in my cupboard.

Custard powder July 2019, nearly empty, it will be used.

Cornflour, November 2017, half empty, ditto re usage.

Drinking Chocolate, August 2016, nearly empty, ditto re usage.

All above not used often, in there for baking purposes, have no qualms about using them, what did we do before everything had dates on them?

MaizieD Tue 09-Feb-21 13:02:37

Callistemon

What about out of date pulses?
(Very out of date)

They should be fine if they're dried. They shouldn't poison you. Honestly.

Might be a bit tough, mind you. grin

I've some dried haricot beans that I've had for literally decades. I'll give them a try. If you don't hear any more from me, I'm dead ???

MaizieD Tue 09-Feb-21 13:05:04

Ha, ha, Calendargirl grin

I won't tell you how old the mincemeat was that went into the Christmas mince pies. But we're still here...

Callistemon Tue 09-Feb-21 15:14:38

grin

I did put some out of date lentils in a soup, got terrible wind but they do that anyway. Or it could have been the onions.

I was looking at the split peas with more suspicion. Perhaps the pigeons might like them.

We did eat a 4 year old Christmas pudding at New Year. It was very good.

Callistemon Tue 09-Feb-21 15:15:39

I look as if I'm speaking on sound bites.

Time for brew
Which reminds me, we do have some very, very old tea in the cupboard, should I use it?

V3ra Tue 09-Feb-21 15:18:33

The local McVities factory used to put different "best before" dates on packets of biscuits from the same production run, depending on where they were being shipped to.
The ones destined to go abroad had a date three months later than the ones sold in this country.

nadateturbe Tue 09-Feb-21 23:59:18

MaisieD thanks for your post, and others. I shall try to be braver in future, and not waste so much. What about herbs and spices anyone? Are they safe past use by date?

nanna8 Wed 10-Feb-21 00:06:19

Sarah48

^My husband has tried one. I'll wait and see^

That made me laugh! Is he ok? [grin{

That so reminded me of my Mum. If she dropped anything in the kitchen she would give it to Dad because she said he had a strong stomach and never got sick! She was a shocker like that. She was right ,though, probably immune to all the germs.

V3ra Wed 10-Feb-21 06:46:50

nadateturbe herbs lose their potency (flavour), some spices can turn toxic.
That's what I was told by someone who works in the food industry.

nadateturbe Wed 10-Feb-21 09:54:03

Thanks V3ra.

NotSpaghetti Wed 10-Feb-21 12:28:49

Hi V3nr I'd be really interested to see the evidence of toxicity in "old" spices as I do have quite a few older ones (expect most of us do).

I've just spent half an hour on Google Scholar and can find nothing. Lots of evidence they lose potency and volatile oils but nothing about toxicity.

I hope you can help.

Maybe I'm having an off day. Are you still in touch with your friend?

V3ra Wed 10-Feb-21 19:24:43

She's checking a few details and will get back to me NotSpaghetti.

NotSpaghetti Wed 10-Feb-21 23:37:19

Thanks V3ra.
Obviously if correct there are some I shouldn't be using (let alone using more because they aren't as strong as when new)!

V3ra Sat 13-Feb-21 12:23:54

NotSpaghetti I have sent you a pm ?

nadateturbe Sat 13-Feb-21 14:57:09

V3ra I would like to know if they're safe too.?