Gransnet forums

Food

Should I bin my scones?

(89 Posts)
nadateturbe Fri 05-Feb-21 11:07:14

I've just put scones in the oven. As the buttermilk seemed quite thin ( I gave it a shake before using) I checked the date and discovered it was use by 13 January. Pity I hadn't done this first! Should I take them out and bin them? Conflicting advice online.

maddyone Fri 05-Feb-21 11:11:17

Yes, definitely bin them.

Baggs Fri 05-Feb-21 11:11:38

Eat a little bit of one and see what you think. If it looks, smells, and tastes alright, it probably is. Your innards will let you know if it isn't. If you have no unpleasant repercussions, eat them. Or freeze some for later.

Use by dates are only a guide. Your own senses are also good guides.

Baggs Fri 05-Feb-21 11:12:14

That's what I would do anyhow.

Calendargirl Fri 05-Feb-21 11:15:00

I’ve never used buttermilk, so don’t know anything about it. Did it smell ‘off’ when you were using it?

I wouldn’t just bin them though, I too would sample one and see what it tasted like.

Esspee Fri 05-Feb-21 11:16:49

In the Caribbean they say “what don’t kill fattens”.

MaizieD Fri 05-Feb-21 11:18:04

My mum used to use sour milk in scones. Goodness knows how old it was. We're all still alive 60+ years later...

If it smelt alright and wasn't bubbling when you used it, it's probably OK.

But no comebacks please if you all get food poisoning

annodomini Fri 05-Feb-21 11:21:32

When we made scones at school (dark ages) it was recommended that we use sour milk. Your buttermilk sounds about right, so see how they taste before you bin them.

NotSpaghetti Fri 05-Feb-21 11:23:42

I'd not bother about it.
If the buttermilk was really bad you would have found that out before you used it!
Bet they puff up well. ?

nadateturbe Fri 05-Feb-21 11:29:55

Thanks for your thoughts. I think I'll just bin them. Don't want to risk tasting them. I get nauseous very easily.
But don't they look nice?

PippaZ Fri 05-Feb-21 11:36:59

Baggs

Eat a little bit of one and see what you think. If it looks, smells, and tastes alright, it probably is. Your innards will let you know if it isn't. If you have no unpleasant repercussions, eat them. Or freeze some for later.

Use by dates are only a guide. Your own senses are also good guides.

"Best before" is the one you don't need to take too much notice of. "Use by" is the one you should as it's an expiration date.

If you don't take notice of it that's your choice but we should be careful what advice we give people.

Peasblossom Fri 05-Feb-21 11:39:04

I worked in a bakery_cafe in my youth and we always used the milk that had gone sour to make scones. It makes them lighter.

Don’t bin them. I’ll eat them. Without hesitation ?

crazyH Fri 05-Feb-21 11:40:07

I wish I could bake !!!

Baggs Fri 05-Feb-21 11:46:29

If you don't take notice of it that's your choice but we should be careful what advice we give people.

That's why I added a wee post to say it's what I'd do.

Use by dates are guides too. I know this because I've often eaten food past its use by date without any problem.

Sight, smell, taste are good tools when it comes to judging food's edibility. Also, how it has been stored once you've bought it.

I stick to use by dates when cooking at work but for home use I have my own method of judging whether a food's safely edible.

midgey Fri 05-Feb-21 11:48:06

Don’t bin them, they look so tasty I’ll have them!

Kim19 Fri 05-Feb-21 11:52:16

I would certainly give them a go. Your nose and taste buds are usually a good guide. They do indeed look appetising.

Luckygirl Fri 05-Feb-21 11:54:31

I would tuck in!

Grandma11 Fri 05-Feb-21 11:59:16

My daughter made some of the 3 ingredient Scones last week using whipping cream and a can of Lemonade, so easy, and although you would think that mixing lemonade and cream would turn them sour, they were surprisingly very nice!

nadateturbe Fri 05-Feb-21 12:14:56

Ok. Thanks again everyone. Changed my mind.
My husband has tried one. I'll wait and see. grin They are actually the best looking scones I've made in ages. (using up some blueberries, have far to many.)

Where would I be without GN.?

M0nica Fri 05-Feb-21 12:22:30

The heat of the oven baking the scones will kill any pathogens.

Puzzler61 Fri 05-Feb-21 12:27:19

They look great! If they’ve passed the smell and taste tests I’d just enjoy them nadateturbe
I often make plain scones and put them around the top of a casserole/stew.

Redhead56 Fri 05-Feb-21 12:50:56

They are baked any germs who have been destroyed.

nadateturbe Fri 05-Feb-21 12:51:01

I often make plain scones and put them around the top of a casserole/stew.

Interesting idea. Thanks. And thanks Grandma.

Sarah48 Fri 05-Feb-21 12:57:40

My husband has tried one. I'll wait and see

That made me laugh! Is he ok? [grin{

Blinko Fri 05-Feb-21 19:17:13

I'd eat them. No question.

I made scones ages ago with ancient scone mix. They were rock hard so no saving them. When I chucked them out, the birds flew in to investigate. They flew straight out again. No scone was even pecked at. So they were binned.