Gransnet forums

Food

What do you put on your pancakes ?

(111 Posts)
NotAGran55 Tue 16-Feb-21 06:58:28

Are you traditional with lemon and sugar or do you like to ring the changes ?
Savoury maybe rather than sweet ?

Lemon and sugar here normally but I forgot that it was Shrove Tuesday and only have one lemon in stock , so will rustle up some cherry sauce from frozen berries and serve with some left over cream .

Vlad Wed 24-Feb-21 19:51:31

great recipes. follow the link shrinke.me/cBfam

CanadianGran Wed 24-Feb-21 06:34:13

Totally forgot about it last week, and I haven't made pancakes in a long time! I make both crepes and canadian/american style pancakes.

Crepes we have with brown sugar and butter (yum), pancakes with maple syrup. My DH and grandkids like them with peanut butter and maple syrup. Waffles as well.

jenny04 Wed 24-Feb-21 03:13:59

Banana pancakes coated with nutella for my children and definitely lemon and sugar for me and husband

LadyJus Mon 22-Feb-21 09:13:52

I must have got something wrong when I was growing up... we always used to have vinegar and sugar on pancakes! I'd never even heard of lemon juice on a pancake until I met DH!

JackyB Wed 17-Feb-21 14:11:39

I often make pancakes for my DGS and he loves bacon and maple syrup but he's never had them together. We have been home schooling him as both parents work from home and schools are, of course, shut.

I has to laugh at Michael Macintyre when he was talking about holidays. Well, he makes me laugh anyway, but it was odd to hear him say "There's no run-up to Pancake day.

It starts in November here (when life is normal), culminating in the Thursday beforehand (" Dirty Thursday" or "Ladies' Day") being the start of (for some) a drunken weekend of dressing up, getting legless, even getting off with other people's husbands or wives is allowed. By the Tuesday afternoon everyone is practically exhausted or comatose. Then there are the parades from Saturday to Monday with hundreds of huge floats. Shops and offices shut on the Monday or Tuesday afternoon, and schools have those days off.

No run up to Pancake Day, my foot!

janeainsworth Wed 17-Feb-21 09:16:36

Witzend ??

Witzend Wed 17-Feb-21 06:44:20

We had some a la (sort of) crepes Suzette - folded into quarters in a pan of hot sauce made of butter and brown sugar, orange and lemon juice and a good slosh of Cointreau. And very nice they were too - 3 each ??.

Mamardoit Tue 16-Feb-21 22:59:06

When I was little it was always raspberry or blackberry vinegar on pancakes.

I didn't bother making any but DS occasionally makes them or breakfast with lemon and sugar.

ILE35 Tue 16-Feb-21 21:51:41

I went for Nutella, sliced strawberries and banana and squirty cream tonight, then felt sick ! Much prefer plain and simple.

NotAGran55 Tue 16-Feb-21 21:46:57

Well I started the day thinking about pancakes hence starting the thread but we didn’t have them in the end . Batter is in the fridge ready for tomorrow though .

Lots of delicious sounding combinations here .

threexnanny Tue 16-Feb-21 21:17:45

Sultanas with brown sugar and cinnamon today, but I also like them with maple syrup. In France I usually go for the savoury ones.

Maggiemaybe Tue 16-Feb-21 21:09:12

I had four. blush

Two of the DGS were here (childcare bubble, both parents working - why do I feel I have to explain this?!). They arrived with toppings galore. We usually have a savoury pancake (maybe prawns or garlic spinach and mushrooms) then a couple with lemon juice and sugar. Today I went rogue with lemon sherbet topping, Nutella, golden syrup and M & S Percy Pig syrup.

Puzzler61 Tue 16-Feb-21 20:11:38

DH and I managed 2 pancakes each (frying pan size) . They are more’ish aren’t they?

Greyduster Tue 16-Feb-21 20:04:44

Having just given DH a lecture about how we must do something about our indulgent lockdown diet and start a healthy eating regime, we had a pile of pancakes with golden syrup and lemon juice! That was an hour after lasagne and salad and a large glass of Rioja! Good start?‍♀️.

Smileless2012 Tue 16-Feb-21 19:29:56

Just lemon and sugar for me.

LMW1 Tue 16-Feb-21 19:28:56

Coffee ice-cream and whipped cream

rockgran Tue 16-Feb-21 19:17:50

Just had mine with lemon and sugar but husband prefers golden syrup. Delicious all the same.

Beechnut Tue 16-Feb-21 19:12:10

Jellyfish

My DH insists on having currants in the batter, is this a Welsh thing?

My mum always put currants in pancakes and she came from Hampshire.

Aldom Tue 16-Feb-21 19:04:31

Lemon and sugar on the pancakes I had at lunch time. The ones I had after my supper this evening were : Raspberry jam and Greek yoghurt, Marmalade and Greek yoghurt and honey and Greek yoghurt. There is enough mixture left for a couple tomorrow. I will have Nutella in those, but need to buy a jar first! I also like savoury pancakes. Mushrooms, garlic and Creme Fraiche is tasty and easy to do.

honeyrose Tue 16-Feb-21 18:44:27

Always lemon ? and sugar. I sometimes fancy something different, but always revert back to lemon and sugar. Can’t beat it!

Jaxjacky Tue 16-Feb-21 18:41:02

Best I’ve ever had, in France were crab and fennel. Not bothering with any today.

baubles Tue 16-Feb-21 18:30:57

Got this text from DD when she finished work.

I can’t believe it’s pancake day............

....that creped up.

gringrin

Sheilasue Tue 16-Feb-21 17:42:17

My dh has lemon and sugar but I had honey and sliced banana

kathw12 Tue 16-Feb-21 17:14:01

When I was growing up we only ever had chop sauce on pancakes and only on shrove Tuesday x

Fennel Tue 16-Feb-21 16:46:04

I used to make mushroom pancakes for my family. I used wholemeal flour for the batter so they were quite solid and filling.
Fry the mushrooms in butter and thicken with a little plain flour.
Cream cheese blintzes are also delicious - not sure if anyone has mentioned them.