Gransnet forums

Food

What do you put on your pancakes ?

(110 Posts)
NotAGran55 Tue 16-Feb-21 06:58:28

Are you traditional with lemon and sugar or do you like to ring the changes ?
Savoury maybe rather than sweet ?

Lemon and sugar here normally but I forgot that it was Shrove Tuesday and only have one lemon in stock , so will rustle up some cherry sauce from frozen berries and serve with some left over cream .

janeainsworth Tue 16-Feb-21 07:06:43

Lemon and sugar on Pancake Tuesday because that’s traditional but at other times I come over all American and have butter or cream and maple syrup and sometimes fresh fruit.
Sometimes I make savoury pancakes & fill them with chilli beans, or salmon & asparagus is another one. ?

nanna8 Tue 16-Feb-21 07:06:56

Oh blast, I forgot it was pancake day too and we’ve had our dinner now. Usually lemon and sugar but sometimes maple syrup and strawberries.

tanith Tue 16-Feb-21 07:16:18

Definitely lemon and sugar.

shysal Tue 16-Feb-21 07:21:14

I won't be eating pancakes today but my choice of topping would be sugar and lemon. Second choice golden syrup.

Calendargirl Tue 16-Feb-21 07:23:28

Lemon, bit of sugar, golden syrup.

Back in the early 70’s, our new manager at work invited the staff to a get-together at his home. Along with the usual crisps and nuts, his wife served up these little savoury pancakes, filled with a cheesy sauce.

I was so impressed, my unsophisticated 18 year old self had only ever had pancakes on Shrove Tuesday, and never savoury ones.

Only later did I realise they were probably from the supermarket, Findus or Birds Eye.

Sara1954 Tue 16-Feb-21 08:09:21

For me, lemon and sugar, but I’ve got a lot of house guests this year, and I’ve been told we need strawberries, chocolate sauce, maple syrup, bananas, ice cream, how did something so simple get so complicated?

tanith Tue 16-Feb-21 08:12:18

House guests? I wish?

Puzzler61 Tue 16-Feb-21 08:13:43

Fresh lemon juice ? and sugar. To me they are the best.
The worst I’ve had were on a maternity ward the year I was about to have a C-section. We were served pancakes and I kid you not they were as tough as vinyl 45 records (not that I’ve ever eaten one of those).

grandmajet Tue 16-Feb-21 08:14:25

Always lemon and sugar. Although yesterday I made scotch pancakes, the little sweet ones, and I just had butter on mine. Grandpajet had cranberry sauce on his.

aggie Tue 16-Feb-21 08:20:40

Nutella ?

Sara1954 Tue 16-Feb-21 08:23:49

Tanith
I’ve had them since just before the first lockdown, it’s been a long year!

baubles Tue 16-Feb-21 08:26:18

Today it will be lemon and sugar although almost any sweet topping is fine by me.

Does anyone remember the chain of restaurants called the Pancake Place? I loved the chocolate, banana, and ice cream ones. With a dollop of whipped cream on top.

aggie Tue 16-Feb-21 08:27:56

We got green tea ice cream in pancakes when in Japan , very nice !

MrsAllboys Tue 16-Feb-21 08:28:00

On Shrove Tuesday always lemon juice and sugar. I don't make pancakes much at other times but when I do I experiment with berries, cream, liqueur etc... still like simple lemon juice and sugar best though!!

YorkLady Tue 16-Feb-21 08:40:08

Will make pancakes for the OH, with blueberries and cream.
I much prefer 3D pancakes (Yorkshire Puddings) ???

J52 Tue 16-Feb-21 08:43:57

Traditionalish in this house, lemon with Maple syrup.
Don’t know if we’ll be having them, depends on DH, schoolboy at heart!

M0nica Tue 16-Feb-21 08:52:19

I like mine savoury. Bolognaise sauce inside and covered with cheese sauce and baked, or veg curry, or cheese and bacon.

sodapop Tue 16-Feb-21 08:58:19

Lemon and sugar or golden syrup for me as well.
We had La Chandeleur on 2nd Feb which includes crepes. It's Candlemas I think.

Jillyjosie Tue 16-Feb-21 09:02:14

Buckwheat crepes from Brittany with a savoury filling or a gorgeous tangy French cheese.
Only in my dreams for the moment. I still prefer lemon and sugar as a filling but I avoid wheat now and I find traditional pancakes upset my stomach so I'll just remember that sharp, rich sweetness.

Auntieflo Tue 16-Feb-21 09:07:33

Lemon and golden syrup for me. DH has the traditional lemon and sugar.

I first had savoury pancakes at MIL house, when DH first took me to his home. They were delicious, and she had made them herself.

polomint Tue 16-Feb-21 10:30:42

Pancakes with jam and cream for my husband and maple syrup or butter for me although I am partial to all the lovely fillings of banana, chocolate, strawberries etc

Elijah Tue 16-Feb-21 10:34:37

As well as sugar and lemon I'm doing duck pancakes as savoury ?

CleoPanda Tue 16-Feb-21 10:35:19

Gosh, I haven’t eaten a pancake for 40 years! Clearly not a fan? ?

henetha Tue 16-Feb-21 10:44:56

Lemon juice is best but occasionally apricot jam is a treat.