Gransnet forums

Food

Toast with butter and sugar and other 'treats'

(122 Posts)
Grandmabatty Fri 26-Feb-21 11:20:02

My dd asked me this morning if I was ever fed this as a child and it took me back. My grandmother would give me this, I'm sure thinking it was a treat. I loathed it. Dipping rhubarb in a bag of sugar was another. Dd remembers her grandmother,my mum, giving her toast with butter and sugar. It's just as well I didn't know! I'm assuming it was because during the war and after butter and sugar were in short supply. Did anyone else eat this? Or indeed other unhealthy treats?

Calender37 Sat 27-Feb-21 11:05:41

Oh Winterwhite - I remember so well a precious Mars Bar being carefully sliced by my Mother who always said it had to last for the week. (My grandchildren never believed me when I told them). Stewed apples and custard were regarded as another treat - especially the custard. And a teaspoonful of jam, usually homemade, looking lost on top of a small dish of rice pudding!

Alioop Sat 27-Feb-21 11:09:49

When I went to my friend's birthday parties her mum put hundreds and thousands on buttered bread and I remember my dad having sugar on butter too.
I loved jelly with evaporated milk whisked in it and left to set, Jelly Fluff my mum called it. I have made it through lockdown and it took my back, it was lovely. I scrape the cake mixing bowl too lol.

hulahoop Sat 27-Feb-21 11:11:51

DC64

My grandad used to have his Yorkshire puddings for dessert with sugar on - maybe a Welsh thing?! ... And my Nan would always make us fried bread from dripping!

My oh still likes Yorkshire pudding dipped in sugar we are Yorkshire bred .
We used to have mucky fat on bread sprinkled with salt still eaten now.
We used to have rhubarb dipped in sugar and powdered horlicks in a cone so we could dip our finger in .
My stepdad used to take kit- Kat in bread and butter for his snap at work.

Grandmabatty Sat 27-Feb-21 11:14:16

Sandwichgeneration and Flakesdayout I seem to remember that a butter ball with sugar was a 'cure' for a sore throat? I'm glad I started this thread as it's been really interesting.

helgawills Sat 27-Feb-21 11:15:21

One summer (1969) I was looking after children from poor families on holiday on a Dutch Island. Breakfast was bread with butter and sugar, or chocolate sprinkles, children loved it.
I think that was the year Eddie Merx won the Tour de France, covered on tv everywhere.

Moggycuddler Sat 27-Feb-21 11:16:35

Was the rhubarb dipped in sugar cooked or raw?? My mum used to give me a raw sausage as a treat when she'd been to the butchers. I remember sucking the soft pink raw sausage meat out of the skin. I loved it then. But now - I'm a vegetarian of 25 years!

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 27-Feb-21 11:19:41

For me, a jam buttie, I loved them. Did have the rhubarb with sugar to dip it in. My Nain gave me a delicious crust of bread while I walked with M & D to the beach in Llandudno - a flaming seagull swooped down and nicked it!! I've never forgiven seagulls for that!

Grandmabatty Sat 27-Feb-21 11:23:29

Moggycuddler raw rhubarb!

cupcake1 Sat 27-Feb-21 11:25:06

Syrup and clotted cream sandwiches, loved it then but wouldn’t touch it now! Banana and sugar sandwiches as well as lettuce and sugar sarnies. My Nan also used to boil full fat milk then take the cream from the top to put on my cornflakes! I have also made jelly and condensed milk dessert for my DGC and they loved it.

granjan66 Sat 27-Feb-21 11:25:36

Mine was cinnamon mixed with sugar and sprinkled on buttered toast

coast35 Sat 27-Feb-21 11:26:35

It was soft brown sugar on bread that I got when I came in from school. I loved it. I was as skinny as a rake too. Wish I could say the same now!

Grandma70s Sat 27-Feb-21 11:29:32

Cinnamon toast was my treat, too.

ecci53 Sat 27-Feb-21 11:36:25

Bacon fat on bread, hot, greasy, salty, it was delicious. I wouldn't eat it now though. Still like banana sandwiches. I also remember, when we had a salad, the lettuce always had sugar and vinegar sprinkled over it, and the cucumber had to have the skin cut off because it tasted so bitter.

nadateturbe Sat 27-Feb-21 11:39:54

Calendar37 you just reminded ne my mum used to slice a Mars bar between us seven siblings. We also got jam on rice pudding. We still have stewed apples and custard. I made it for OH and he loves it. although sometimes we have it with yoghurt.
Dipping rhubarb was raw.

GrannySomerset Sat 27-Feb-21 11:40:48

Sandwich of cream cheese, honey and sliced banana - bliss! And at secondary school, fresh warm doughnuts from the baker across the road, 3d if I remember rightly, or a Chelsea bun for 2 and a half d (can’t manage fractions on the ipad).

nadateturbe Sat 27-Feb-21 11:43:32

I'm getting very hungry reading all these posts. I think I'll try cinnamon toast!

AJKW Sat 27-Feb-21 11:43:53

We have buttered toast with cinnamon sugar.
It’s also on the menu at Bettys Tearooms in Harrogate North Yorkshire.

Nickysmadhouse Sat 27-Feb-21 11:44:51

I remember my Mum would have (after spag bol) spaghetti with butter and sugar on for pudding... i never tried it but often think i might one day, just for a memory of her.

Moggycuddler Sat 27-Feb-21 11:48:07

Grandmabatty

Moggycuddler raw rhubarb!

And that was a treat?!! Raw rhubarb? But now, I'd rather have that than a raw sausage!

Nannan2 Sat 27-Feb-21 11:49:09

My mum put cocoa& marg mixed up in cup which i think we dipped things in?? But i could not have that now- urgh! Also, whenever we went round to my grans, she would tell mum to give me some 'pobs' - small lumps of bread in a cup of warm-ish milk- but she only used sterilized milk so it was horrible! Ive never touched sterilized milk since.Nasty stuff.

Nannan2 Sat 27-Feb-21 11:53:01

Yes we grew rhubarb in back gardens& so did the neighbours, their kids would eat it raw dipped in sugar as a 'treat' (big family) but i only tried it once, never again.(i still am not keen on rhubarb, even cooked)?

sandwichgeneration Sat 27-Feb-21 11:58:09

Grandmabatty I think you are correct, probably to soothe a sore throat. Much as I like butter and sugar, not just on their own!

00mam00 Sat 27-Feb-21 12:06:49

I still very occasionally have butter and sugar on toast and possibly my favourite when I make baps, is butter and golden syrup. OH and I always fight to get to the dripping first and we both like to scrape cake mixing bowls.

I have a mouth full of fillings hmm

Alioop Sat 27-Feb-21 12:09:09

Here in N.Ireland they put stewed apple inside the potato bread. My dad loved it, toasted with loads of butter melting on it. He also ate a Tunnocks teacake squashed in between 2 slices of buttered bread. Yuk!

Blondiescot Sat 27-Feb-21 12:21:23

paddyanne

blondie did you offer to swap your playpiece for hers? I quite often swapped my banana sandwich on plain bread for my friends cold toast.I do like a bit of toast buttered when hot and left to go stone cold ...even now

Oh no, I'd have gone hungry rather than eat sugar on a sandwich! I'd probably have been quite happy with my Marmite sandwich instead.