Gransnet forums

Food

Toast with butter and sugar and other 'treats'

(122 Posts)
Grandmabatty Fri 26-Feb-21 11:20:02

My dd asked me this morning if I was ever fed this as a child and it took me back. My grandmother would give me this, I'm sure thinking it was a treat. I loathed it. Dipping rhubarb in a bag of sugar was another. Dd remembers her grandmother,my mum, giving her toast with butter and sugar. It's just as well I didn't know! I'm assuming it was because during the war and after butter and sugar were in short supply. Did anyone else eat this? Or indeed other unhealthy treats?

Rosina Tue 02-Mar-21 16:48:36

What a trip down memory lane this thread has been! I too was given a cup of hot 'cabbage' water, with a spoonfull of Bovril stirred into it; evidently the vitamins in the water were good for me. I also loved Virol - it was just like melted toffee and I could happily have eaten the entire jar. Is it still available, does anyone know?

grandmajet Mon 01-Mar-21 13:42:50

My mum, in the 50s, used to give us one square of chocolate after our daily spoonful of cod liver oil! Much needed to take the revolting taste away.
A real treat was an orange with a hole cut in the top with a sugar cube pushed in the hole, and we could suck the juice through the sugar cube!

Antonia Mon 01-Mar-21 13:30:46

Wagonwheels were a weekly treat, available at the local baths after a swimming lesson. Also rhubarb dipped into sugar, deep fried banana fritters, the Christmas selection box, crumpets dripping with butter, Woolworth's pick n mix in white paper bags, bread and dripping, and when I went on a French exchange visit, divinely delicious sugar topped brioche buns with home made peach marmalade for breakfast.
All this is so nostalgic, and hard to read as I am desperately trying to lose weight!

spitfire34 Mon 01-Mar-21 12:06:58

I remember when I was young ? At dinner time my mum use to always drain the cabbage & I was made to drink it!!!? Good for you she says ?And jam on Yorkshire pudding for afters!?

annifrance Mon 01-Mar-21 11:50:32

Oh yes, the herring for A and orange stuffed with a sugar lump. I think my DCs would have a bit of I tried to feed their DCs with those!

nanna8 Sun 28-Feb-21 08:00:38

Mum used to deep fry floured herring roes on toast. I thought they were lovely even though I don’t like herrings.

Nannytopsy Sun 28-Feb-21 06:03:56

Banana sandwich, not rhubarb!

Nannytopsy Sun 28-Feb-21 06:03:15

Sugar in a paper bag with rhubarb and banana sandwiches! I still have the occasional rhubarb sandwich.
With cooked breakfast, after church on Sunday, we had bread and dipping, where a slice of bread was pressed into the frying pan to mop up the bacon fat. Delicious with a smear of brown sauce. Modern bacon produces filthy white liquid which doesn’t do the job!

Lauren59 Sun 28-Feb-21 01:18:18

My grandmother gave us toast with butter and a cinnamon/sugar mix sprinkled on top. We loved it!

Severnside Sun 28-Feb-21 01:04:25

Looking for a treat during lockdown, I decided to raid my Brexit stash and made myself mandarine oranges with evaporated milk. The real treat came afterwards which was to take the tin of evap, with two little holes pierced in the lid, tip my head back and pour it into my mouth. Never allowed to do it as a child.

HurdyGurdy Sat 27-Feb-21 23:08:34

tuller

HiPpyChick57

Redhead I remember my father dipping bread in the meat juice I used to think it was disgusting. One day while berating him for doing so he said have you actually tried it. Well of course he’d thrown down the challenge which I accepted and then after tasting it and finding it absolutely delicious we used to fight to get there first.?
I don’t do it now as I’m vegan ?

Same here.....dripping left to set in an old cup..spread the dripping with salt and pepper and the jelly was divine....

When my husband first took me to Leeds to meet his parents, he took me to an off-the-beaten track (in Leeds city centre somewhere!) pub called Whitelocks, where they used to do amazing beef and dripping sandwiches on thick granary bread. I wonder if the pub is still there?

I remember having rhubarb with a triangle cut from a paper "poke" with sugar to dip it into. Yes, raw rhubard.

And I also remember having balls of butter dipped in sugar, but I can't remember what it was for. Maybe, as someone further upthread said, for a sore throat?

My treat, which I used to love (and still have occasionally)was a piece and nippy sauce. Translated from Scottish to English, that's a sandwich with HP sauce in it grin

And banana sandwiches with sugar and lemon juice. But those have now morphed into peanut butter and banana sandwiches,. No sugar or lemon juice. It has to be crunchy peanut butter though.

Juliet27 Sat 27-Feb-21 21:52:43

Reading how much butter and sugar we all ate, it’s a wonder we’re still in existence!!

Rose30 Sat 27-Feb-21 21:46:51

Make a hole in an orange and stick a sugar lump in then suck out the juice. My grandmother never knew that we kept stuffing those lumps into the same orange until it was sucked dry!!!!

Gingster Sat 27-Feb-21 21:19:33

Condensed milk on bread an butter

win Sat 27-Feb-21 21:12:33

Egg yolk mixed with sugar and whipped until almost bubbling and pale yellow, delicious to eat with a spoon. The egg white shipped with sugar separately as we do for meringue, but eaten with a spoon. Rhubarb & sugar also redcurrant and sugar mashed together, we had it all. Used to love it.

Jane43 Sat 27-Feb-21 20:30:44

Golden syrup sandwiches were one of our favourites. Dad grew all his own vegetables and we regularly had a stick of rhubarb and sugar to dip it into. A friend of mine used to have a sandwich where the filling was a small penny bar of chocolate broken in pieces, the first time I saw her eat it I had never seen anything like it and couldn't wait to tell my Mum.

Hetty58 Sat 27-Feb-21 19:50:50

Disgusting soggy cubes of white bread in hot milk with sugar when we were ill - guaranteed to make me sick!

Lactose intolerance didn't exist/wasn't allowed and we had to 'eat it all up'. My friend would drink my school milk, thank Heavens!

Hetty58 Sat 27-Feb-21 19:43:02

I remember making butter and sugar sandwiches for my younger brother. He somehow got hungry between our enormous meals. We didn't have (and weren't allowed) margarine - or other 'poor people's' food, like fish fingers.

My brother was given bread and dripping, at a friend's house, and was never allowed to go there again!

annifrance Sat 27-Feb-21 19:28:52

My mother and I often had bread and butter and Golden Syrup at lunch time. yummy.

Cat4 Sat 27-Feb-21 18:55:07

One of my treats as a child was mashed banana with milk and sugar - I still enjoy it.

Soozikinzi Sat 27-Feb-21 17:29:35

We had crumpets with butter and sugar which my sons laughed at but also liked once they had tasted them . Also sugar on left over Yorkshire puddings for afters . Yum !

Photocrazy Sat 27-Feb-21 16:54:36

I have loved this post, thank you.
Yes, raw rhubarb dipped in sugar, bread buttered and dipped in the sugar bowl, sugar and butter on left over Yorkshire pudding. My father used to have Yorkshire pudding first and said that his father said, the one that eats the most pudding, can have the most meat (of course by that time, they weren't that hungry!!)
Also remember being given Weetabix with butter on, although can't really remember been given snacks.

CraftyGranny Sat 27-Feb-21 16:45:27

We used to have most of the above, sugar butties, rhubarb dipped in sugar, dripping on toast, mmm.

We also used to have pigs trotters, by the fire. sucking on the bones, they were lovely. I don't know if I would fancy them now though. And cow heel in stews.

I do still like tripe and tomatoes occasionally

Polly4t42 Sat 27-Feb-21 16:37:38

Beef dripping on toast with salt yum it was a special treat for Monday tea, we didn’t have roast beef that often as a child. Also if we were poorly my Nana would make us bread and butter squares covered with hot milk and sprinkled with brown sugar.

BlueSapphire Sat 27-Feb-21 16:04:51

When we lived in Australia we found that 'fairy bread' was a delicacy among the children out there. It is bread and butter topped with hundreds and thousands.

I can remember my aunty letting me spread butter on rich tea biscuits.