Gransnet forums

Food

Mise en place

(37 Posts)
kittylester Sun 28-Feb-21 20:53:53

I have never been organised enough to cook like this but today I was doing a bit of a fiddly meal and had time to get sorted- what a revelation!! Everything worked like clockwork!!

Do you get organised before you cook or do you cook on the run like me?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 01-Mar-21 15:01:36

I prepare and weigh things out but I don't use those fancy pots as they do on the telly. I like to clear up as I go along - there's nothing worse than a kitchen which looks like a bomb has hit it to make you lose your appetite.

BigBertha1 Mon 01-Mar-21 15:35:57

Yes I do tend to get organised first kittylester its how Mrs Brown our Domestic Science teacher taught me and Big Brother was a chef and he always does it.

Summerlove Mon 01-Mar-21 15:41:37

I meal plan, so all groceries have a specific meal.

I get things going mid afternoon and chop amd peel ahead of cooking. Spices get brought out as needed.

I clean as I go.

My husband, god bless him can use six pots for a one pit meal. Tastes amazing.

Takes me forever to clean.

Pantglas2 Mon 01-Mar-21 16:16:59

That made me smile Summerlove ? I’m a prep, cook and clear kind of person and my DH is like yours......the more pots the merrier!

Fennel Mon 01-Mar-21 17:09:53

The only time I use that method is when I'm making bread.
The first few steps go so fast you need to be prepared.
Then I go for a sit-down.
Other recipes I like to keep simple with minimum ingredients.
Husband is helpful with clearing up.

Callistemon Mon 01-Mar-21 17:38:19

I never had a cookery lesson at school and used to work in chaos until I realised it just made more work in the end.

Now I try to be more organised but it's often something last minute - today was a last minute decision which caused a bit of chaos in the kitchen but it's all in one pot simmering away, the Welsh cakes are baked and the kitchen is tidy.

Callistemon Mon 01-Mar-21 17:43:41

Of course, all the TV chefs and cooks have someone measuring/peeling/ chopping/grating all the ingredients so they are mise en place ready for them.

And someone to clear up after them.

Blossoming Mon 01-Mar-21 17:46:13

I get my ingredients together but I tend to chop and measure as I go along. I tend to chuck in random herbs and spices depending on what’s in the cupboard.

Missfoodlove Mon 01-Mar-21 17:47:56

Very little prep, I chop and add as I’m cooking, always clear as I cook though.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 01-Mar-21 17:53:18

I haven’t forgotten my O-level Nutrition and Cookery training! I take all the ingredients out first, make a time plan (I have a blackboard fixed to the side of my fridge to make notes on) and clear up as I go along,

Summerlove Tue 02-Mar-21 12:10:46

Pantglas2

That made me smile Summerlove ? I’m a prep, cook and clear kind of person and my DH is like yours......the more pots the merrier!

I tweaked my back quite badly on Friday.

It’s been a few days of many pain killers. Obviously no dishes.

Double sink full, as were counter tops and dish washer.

Very much a do it all at once person, where is I will do three dishes at a time if needed. Having the sinks full makes me bonkers.