Gransnet forums

Food

Tracking down Psyllium Husk

(24 Posts)
PippaZ Thu 11-Mar-21 19:48:10

As I understand it psyllium husk - as a powder - works in a similar way to xanthan gum which I have in my cupboard and use. The point of using the psyllium is that it gives a more bready loaf. I don't know if you are wheat intollerant or celiac B9exchange but gluten free (and therefore wheat free) bread is often pretty awful so this is worth trying. If it does have a small laxitive effect in the bread 50% of those with IBS will be very happy smile

B9exchange Thu 11-Mar-21 19:18:00

Psyllium husk is a laxative, used for bulking up stools, I would be in terrible trouble if I put any that in bread I was making! grin

PippaZ Thu 11-Mar-21 19:13:53

shysal

Is this the recipe you use?
www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread

No shysal it's from the book How to Make Anything Gluten by Becky Excell. It's just come out but she has a very keen following on Facebook and Instagram. There has been a lot of praise for this particular loaf. She shows it here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=cok_fP2Jrug

It's based round gluten free be she is aware of Fodmaps too.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Mar-21 18:53:16

Sorry got side tracked.

Make is www.planeteaunatural.com

shysal Thu 11-Mar-21 18:49:03

Is this the recipe you use?
www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Mar-21 18:34:22

Thats why I haven’t dashed up. I’m getting slower by the day it seems to me. Need a kick up the bum.

Just going to have a bath so I will let you know in two minutes.

PippaZ Thu 11-Mar-21 18:25:01

It's probably more a reflection of my attitude to the stairs Whitewave. I am so enjoying not being threatened by them now I am in a flatgrin

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Mar-21 18:06:13

Yes I use it for gluten free baking.

? like your comment about me being upstairs - I’ll totter up and have a look?

PippaZ Thu 11-Mar-21 18:01:45

I sort of gathered along the way the bit about constipation shysal but many comments about drinking lots of water. I think the reason for in in gluten free bread is that it helps stick everything together - as gluten would normally do.

Thanks for the link - I had seen that one. I have a few more things to track down so I may be back smile

shysal Thu 11-Mar-21 17:40:45

I like this one.
psyllium husk powder

shysal Thu 11-Mar-21 17:37:35

I buy it all the time from Ebay. There is plenty of choice, but I go for the blonde version and ensure that it is the powder. The carb free bread made with it prevents the constipation that a Keto diet can cause!

PippaZ Thu 11-Mar-21 16:06:30

When you have time and are upstairs anyway could you see if it mentions a make WW2? "Blonde" was mentioned in the video that goes with the recipe.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Mar-21 15:39:04

Organic blond psyllium husk.

Hope that helps. Been upstairs a couple of times and forgot? eventually remembered.

Happiyogi Thu 11-Mar-21 15:18:26

It’s currently on offer where I do my online whole food shopping. It’s a company called Healthy Supplies - I don’t have any connection to them other than having been a very satisfied customer for years!

Baggs Thu 11-Mar-21 14:54:35

Purple bread rather appeals to me ?

I put some beetroot powder in some loaves. A slight reddish tinge only seemed to show on the top crust. Might be more noticeable if you were making only white bread, I suppose.

PippaZ Thu 11-Mar-21 13:52:23

Thank you Baggs and Amberone. That looks light too. Apparently the bread may have a purple tinge if it's the darker versionshock

I'll order some of it as I am just gathering the ingredients together.

Thanks all.

Amberone Thu 11-Mar-21 13:14:13

That's the one I get too Baggs - never had a problem with that site

Baggs Thu 11-Mar-21 13:02:59

I get it from here.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Mar-21 12:35:27

PippaZ

Which one do you get Whitewave. Apparently, if it's too dark it discolours the bread.

I have a feeling I will have to go to Amazon and just try it out.

I’ll have a look. Just eating lunch and I keep it upstairs in a store cupboard?, I’ll go up in a minute

BBbevan Thu 11-Mar-21 12:35:03

Holland and Barrett ?

PippaZ Thu 11-Mar-21 12:24:21

Which one do you get Whitewave. Apparently, if it's too dark it discolours the bread.

I have a feeling I will have to go to Amazon and just try it out.

dustyangel Thu 11-Mar-21 12:15:56

A good pharmacy should have it and some health food shops. But Amazon is probably your best bet at the moment.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Mar-21 12:13:46

Amazon I use it a bit

PippaZ Thu 11-Mar-21 12:11:44

I am looking for this - the very pale variety - to use in gluten/wheat free bread making. Does anyone use it and, if so, where do you buy it? TIA