Gransnet forums

Food

Easy, tasty vegan recipes please

(42 Posts)
Sophiasnana Fri 16-Apr-21 12:34:55

My daughter and her husband had been vegetarians for a few years, and became vegan in January. I found it relatively easy to cook a vegetarian meal for them when they came to dinner (staples were veg lasagne or tomato and spinach cannelloni) but when it comes to vegan cooking, I’m completely stumped. I really dont want to have to buy in loads of special ingredients either. Ideas please!

Skye17 Sun 25-Apr-21 14:18:39

If you go to the BBC Good Food website and put ‘vegan’ into their search bar, there are 305 results.

rhonami Fri 23-Apr-21 17:14:16

Yotam Ottolenghi. Many of his recipes are vegan, flavorful and easy using basic staple ingredients. The Guardian has quite a collection of his meals and recipes at their site.

Madgran77 Fri 23-Apr-21 16:44:14

Stuffed portobello mushrooms. - Remove stalks and process to "mince" or chop finely. Mix stalk "mince" with vegan cream cheese, a chopped garlic clove, a small chopped red pepper. Fill mushroom cups with mixture. Put on foil lined dish, add a little water to dish, and bake for 20-25 minutes 180 degrees centigrade. Really tasty.

You can do the same with stuffed red peppers, chop button mushrooms instead and leave red pepper out of the filling mixture

Or simmer a mass of small plum tomatoes (or tinned tomatoes) with chopped garlic, onion, chopped pepper, mushrooms, herbs and a large squirt of tomato paste for an hour. If a bit sharp add a couple of teaspoons of sugar near the end. You can serve this with pasta (and vegan "parmesan" available in supermarkets.) You can also use it to make a vegan shepherds pie, a vegan lasagne (use vegan pasta). You can also add chickpeas, beans or lentils if these are liked.

Alternatively buy a jar of vegan pesto, steam chopped pepper, onion, mushrooms, cook pasta, stir vegs and pesto through the pasta.

Tinned pulses are useful as are the packets of microwave grains in the supermarkets They are also good for use as a stuffing for peppers or mushrooms. adding a few herbs and maybe a few steamed chopped vegs.

Good luck

BlueRuby Fri 23-Apr-21 14:20:03

Mushroom Stroganoff. Rich. Tasty. Vegan. You can find recipes online, just substitute the cream for Alpro soya Dream. Even better with a generous spoonful of smoked paprika! My husband is a dedicated meat eater, but even he really enjoys mushroom stroganoff!

crazygranny Thu 22-Apr-21 20:53:44

The Avant-garde Vegan recipes on YouTube are really great!
and free!

ElderlyPerson Thu 22-Apr-21 20:48:53

Tilda basmati plain microwave rice is vegan.

Tilda also do a rather nice basmati rice with lemon and herbs. A gentle flavour.

Tesco sell both.

HiPpyChick57 Thu 22-Apr-21 20:38:57

Curries, bolognese, chillis, stir fries, soups, pastas. The list goes on and on. Basically you can veganise most things by omitting meat and replacing with lentils or mushrooms or fake mince.
I’m not a fan of fake meat but “What the Cluck” and “Naked Glory” “chicken” pieces are quite tasty as are Richmond plant based “sausages”.
There’s tons of ready made meals out there but I prefer to make things from scratch and it’s usually more healthy!

ElderlyPerson Thu 22-Apr-21 20:33:52

geekesse

If you want something very ordinary and very quick, beans on toast is vegan smile

If you can find a copy Abe Books or Amazon, the book ‘Beanfeast’ by Rose Elliot is brilliant. It has nice ordinary, everyday recipes which are based on beans and lentils. Not all of them are vegan, but plenty are.

The baked beans may be vegan, best to check anyway, but it is good to check the ingredients of the bread, as some bread has milk in it. Gluten-free bread may have egg as a binder.

Also, some people put margarine on the toast and some margarines are vegan yet I am not sure that all are. Certainly avoid using butter if you want a vegan result.

Longdistancegrnny Thu 22-Apr-21 20:27:59

Oh I forgot - the recipe suggests adding sprouts but I draw the line at that! Just up the cauli!

Longdistancegrnny Thu 22-Apr-21 20:26:49

I have recently been making a really good recipe that I cut out of a newspaper, basically onions, butternut squash, parsnips and chick peas roasted in a little oil, halfway through cooking time (about 45 mins - 1 hour in total) add in cauliflower florets and more oil mixed with cumin, turmeric, coriander seeds and garam masala powder, a splash of water, roast until it starts to caramelise. We eat it with cubes of feta or halloumi added, you could add tofu or vegan cheese. Meant to be served with a lime raita made with yogurt - you could substitute with a vegan yogurt I guess? Its very tasty and heats up well for another day.

Deedi Thu 22-Apr-21 19:39:25

For a quick tasty meal : Creamy Pasta and Peppers (serves 2 people)
Chop a large red onion pan fry in little oil till starting to soften then
Stir in chopped red/orange/yellow pepper and 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
Salt & Pepper to season. Remove from heat once softened.
Cook pasta then drain (save 2 tablespoons of the pasta water)
Make Sauce for Pasta:
Use 2 cartons of caramelised onion houmous (I use Sainsbury’s own brand ea carton is 200g)
Add the 2 spoons of pasta water to the houmous and a dash of lemon juice and mix together.
Mix pasta with sauce top with the cooked peppers.
I top that with some chopped cashew nuts (optional).

Nan99 Thu 22-Apr-21 16:56:57

Bolognaise. using mushrooms and lentils instead of meat. just add onions, garlic, tin toms and tom puree, mixed herbs. Delicious. M&S do a good vegan cheese.

mrswoo Thu 22-Apr-21 16:27:07

Lentil shepherds pie is delicious and just as tasty as one made with meat.
Tonight I'm making a vegetable biriani using a Slimming World recipe. I've made it a couple of times before and its healthy, filling and tastes great.

EmilyHarburn Thu 22-Apr-21 14:26:49

I find vegetable soups are easy to make especially if thickened by the addition of a tin of mushy peas, which I believe, are full of protein.

Bluecat Thu 22-Apr-21 13:44:01

I suggest Indian food. People have been vegetarian there for years and have developed a very varied cuisine. The only dairy foods you're likely to encounter in the recipes are yogurt and occasionally paneer (a cheese that doesn't contain rennet.) You can easily leave them out.

geekesse Thu 22-Apr-21 13:30:21

In case anyone was wondering, Koshary/kushary is this:

Roughly equal quantities by bulk when cooked, not weight, of
Lentils, boiled (usually brown, but green will do as well - I use puy lentils)
Rice, boiled. Any long grain will do - I use basmati.
Macaroni (I use fusilli)

Also
Spiced tomato sauce (I use a small tin of chopped tomatoes and warm through with some cumin, coriander, chilli flakes, a dash of Tabasco and a dribble of olive oil)
Crispy fried onions.

Mix the lentils, rice and macaroni together.
Slop over some tomato sauce.
Sprinkle fried onions generously on top.

As maryelizabethsadler says, it’s Egyptian street food - cheap, tasty and filling. I first came across it at a cafe at the bottom end of the Khan el Khalili opposite Al Azhar, and it became a family staple. Incidentally, the combination of rice, pasta and lentils make it nutritionally equivalent to meat.

fuseta Thu 22-Apr-21 12:57:48

I make something I call The Mix. It can be used for bolognese, chilli or sheperds pie. I fry chopped onions and mushrooms then add a can of black lentils. Meanwhile I boil up a soup mix, already prepared from the supermarket, then add that to the pan. If it is bolognese, I then add a jar of passata and a big dollop of marmite. For chilli I then add red kidney beans and chilli powder. If it is shepherds pie, I add more vegetable stock than passata and more marmite. Also, salt, pepper and garlic paste. It is so versatile and lasts for a couple of meals. It can also be frozen in batches.

maryelizabethsadler Thu 22-Apr-21 12:30:21

Me again Witzend - I was referring to the Red Lentil and Rice soup, recipe for which I have printed out and intend to try asap. Can't wait!!!

maryelizabethsadler Thu 22-Apr-21 12:29:01

Witzend, this sounds very like Kushari, which we used to eat when we lived in Egypt, although that had the addition of tiny pasta. It was poor man's, street food, and was absolutely delicious! It was difficult to imagine how such inexpensive, basic ingredients could produce anything so gorgeous. We loved it...

GlamGran59 Thu 22-Apr-21 12:18:04

Their chick pea and hummus curry is delicious.

GlamGran59 Thu 22-Apr-21 12:15:02

You can't go wrong with the Bosh boys.
www.bosh.tv/

valerieventers Thu 22-Apr-21 12:08:57

try the websites:

forks over knives and food revolution

there are many free recipes on both

Witzend Thu 22-Apr-21 12:06:15

We aren’t vegan but often have veggie or vegan meals.

One thing I’ve made several times lately is a curried, largely root vegetable ‘stewp’- onion fried with curry powder, then simmered in stock with chunks of swede, celeriac, carrot, potato - whatever I have - plus a handful of red lentils, maybe some risotto rice, and a good tsp each of ground coriander and cumin.
A few minutes before serving I add some cauliflower sprigs and spinach, plus some lemon juice.
V nice with warmed naan bread.

b1zzle Thu 22-Apr-21 11:50:22

Split peas: my everyday lunch - simmer a mug of split peas for an hour, put them in a slow cooker for an hour and a half along with an onion and leeks (plus garlic granules and coarse ground black pepper). Leave to cool, then slice. Lasts at least four days in the fridge.

SparklyGrandma Thu 22-Apr-21 11:23:55

For a one off, “Sophiasnana”, Waitrose do a gorgeous Vegan Chilli with Rice. In the chilled area.